Windows 7 Long Load after Login

bob101910

Since about a week ago, whenever I turn on my laptop and login to Windows 7 I can't click anything for about 5-10 minutes (changes every time). A loading icon pops up while I can't click anything (reminds me of Mac spinning wheel of death). Sometimes the wallpaper will go white and a box comes up that says something like "Windows is not responding, would you like to end now?" I just wait a few more minutes and it eventually fixes itself.

I haven't downloaded, installed, or changed anything recently. I did notice however, when I shut down the laptop there is always an update available. I start the update and the laptop shuts itself off when it is done.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Startup time was fast until this started happening a week ago. Ran virus scan and deleted/uninstalled old games to free up space

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name BOB-PC
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 1066A9U
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 44CN34WW, 5/12/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.92 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.84 GB
Total Virtual Memory 11.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.50 GB
Page File Space 5.92 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Some of the Windows Updates need to shut the system completely down and a cold boot has to be done. Is the system being shutdown completely? You are not getting any messages during a shutdown or boot about updates being finished? Is there a shield on your power button on the start menu?

If you check Windows Update, are there any updates ready to be installed? On the Update History, are any showing failed and not done later? And how many are showing failed, if any?

What anti-virus are you running?

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using AVG.

I checked the update history and there is 1 update that has failed several times. There is a shield on my shut down button on the start menu every time. I'm still not sure if this is the cause of the long loading when I login.

Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553141) 32-Bit Edition
Installation date: ‎2/‎28/‎2012 11:16 AM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 80070643
Update type: Important
Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office 2010 32-Bit Edition. This update provides the latest fixes to Microsoft Office 2010 32-Bit Edition. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements.

Make sure the update has not been installed previously or afterward..

Shut your system completely down, wait a few minutes, then reboot. You should see some messages about updates possibly on the way down and back up. Some of the .Net updates may even ask for another reboot.

It said it was updating when I shut it down. Waited for that to finish and shut itself down automatically, but I've already done this several times before.

I went to Windows Update and tried the automatic troubleshooter and it did find something wrong with that update. I clicked fix and it said the update was fixed, but it is back.

Freezes for awhile then once again the wallpaper turned white and the message from Microsoft Windows that pops up says "The application is not responding. The program may respond again if you want. Do you want to end this process?" I just let it sit there for few more minutes and it eventaully goes away and everything works as it is supposed to.

I checked under Programs and Features to see if it was already installed. It is not.

Look for this update in Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update, right click on it and HIDE it.

Also, if the update is showing under the Installed Updates on the Windows Update dialog, and maybe where you were looking in Programs and Features, you might uninstall it. Perhaps it will reset and start over.

Also, if the update is showing under the Installed Updates on the Windows Update dialog, and maybe where you were looking in Programs and Features, you might uninstall it. Perhaps it will reset and start over.

Doesn't show up there. Trying whs solution now. Will edit post when I find out if it works.

Thanks to all for the quick responses.

EDIT: Well it doesn't try to update anymore, but the long load time still remains. The short load time after login was a big reason I liked Windows 7. Might end up just learning to live with it.

Last edited:
You could run Link Removed due to 404 Error. That will tell you which processes hold up the boot.

Back