Windows 7 Lost all shell icons

shan

Hello people.. I am using Seven RTM, Build 7600....
Today I just installed a gadget from the microsoft's website... it suggested me a reboot... After the reboot now I have all my icons lost. The taskbar has no icons at all... But if I click on the pinned items, they work fine. No icons are displayed in the Control Panel, Desktop and Computer as well. I cannot access the Start Menu. The Orb just glows when hovered but doesn't display the menu. I tried uninstalling the gadget and did a system restore. Also I created another user. The new user doesnt have icons as well. Rest all is working fine.
Please help me on this...

BTW, the installer was a .msi file. and one of the account on my computer still displays icons normally.

(This part was no help at all so, edited cause I don't know how to read)

Then be careful what gadgets you install,, not all of them (in-fact most), are not Confirmed safe.

Can you tell us or provide a link to the gadget you installed?

Last edited:
This might be useful. I recently encountered an issue with IE8, and one of the member suggested me to run sfc /scannow

I have replaced my start orb, installed custom icons and patched uxtheme.dll to install 3rd party themes. Ran this sfc and unfortunately it replaced all my patched files with the originals. All my customization is lost.

I believe, you can try this sfc /scannow for fixing the lost icons too.

Back