Windows 7 Lost My Computer in explorer

Can anyone help I've lost MY COMPUTER and the recycle bin icons in my explorer screens also my dvd is not there either but all is working and are showing in computer management and my network . Can use the dvd drive and write to it with nero. Just wondered why i can't see them anymore

Hi,
See if rebuilding your icon cache helps.. Follow the instructions in this link:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Also have you checked for malware and virus activity?

thankyou for your reply , have tried your suggestion unfortunately it hasn't worked the computer folder is still empty

the computer folder is also missing from the start folder options , on the desktop icons the computer and recycle bin cannot be selected their boxes are not highlighted for you to tick the box to add icons to desktop

What about my suggestion for a malware scan?

You could also try this 'system file checker'.. If you right click on command prompt and run as administrator, type

sfc /scannow

then hit enter. If it finds anything wrong it will attempt to fix it..

Lastly, have you considered 'system restore'?

hi there I believe the HDD , DVD , Recycle Bin have been hidden in the settings somewhere , it is a complete mystery how this has happened have scanned for malware and done a system restore all has remained the same .

If your running ultimate this link may help:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Problem solved. After many hours of hair pulling I opened the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) and changed the status of "Hide these drives" from "Not Configured" to "Disabled" and voila back came the drives in My Computer.

I still have no idea what made them disappear in the first place.

Thats why I asked if you were running ultimate or not as you can't access that in home premium.. Glad it worked anyway.. :D

Back