Windows 7 Low Hard Drive Experience Score

mp3sgt

I have a 250GB SATA 3GB/s Western Digital HD with 2 partitions, one of 30GB for 7 and the rest for my XP install. I have used HD tune to verify data transfer rates in the mid 75MB/s area at all times and yet, on the experience rating in Windows 7, it lists the HD experience as a lowly 2. Is this a bug, because I have more than 10GB free on my 7 partition, or does 7 not like partitions?

Also, I'm using my XP right now, but my other experience scores hover around 5-6.

I had the same problem, just needed to update the IDE drivers. Interestingly enough ATI actually had Win7 drivers..... Try to update your IDE drivers with Vista drivers.

Update your drivers.
Check in Devide manager that DMA and write caching is enabled n that HDD
Modify the partition to be more than 40 GB.

nForce IDE driver link?

does anybody know where i can find a driver for nforce 630m ide driver, i cant seem to find it on there site:frown:

first try this - NVIDIA Graphics Supercharge Microsoft Windows 7

second try this - Notebook Drivers and just download the one for the proper version (32bit or 64bit) of vista.

Lastly try this - Go to the website for the notebook manufacturer and see if they have drivers for Vista and use those.

I installed "7" on my HP laptop and used the Vista 64bit drivers and installed it onto my HP Media machine but ATI had "7" drivers ready for it.

good luck

Bad rate experience in hdd its more notable in the x64 beta version of w7, i got 2.3 with a seagate barracuda wtf... i investigate a bit and i discover that w7 x64 readings in the hdd are bad, due to its a beta version still i wont talk so bad about de OS, but microsoft has to work a lot in the x64 version, not even games are running just as well as te x86 version, ither dameon as in w7.... and worse.. not even ultra iso, so it seems to have much to develope this x64 version has to much issues and the task bar gave me a bit of troubles too..

my config its:
c2d e8400 @ 4.0ghz
4gis ram ddr2 1066
ati 4870 512mb ddr4
DFI x38-Dk

i hope M$ fixes a lot of troubles in the x64 so far... on the contraire the x86 works wonderfull, the only isue for me its that i wont be able to use my 4gb or ram correctly... so the main problem for me right now its the data transfer between the hard disks... that will low performace over all .... in everything else i got 7 in average...

I unplugged my external HDD (USB2), and my "Primary" HDD score jumped from 3.0 to 4.7. Odd.

I run a RAID 0 set up, which I know is very fast (SATA2) but still only score 3 on the experience moniter. As you can see from the screenshot, I benched using HD-Tach and it's not slow...

Ok...

I don't have the screenshot, but I used HD Tune on XP SP3 and 7. On XP, I was hovering with data transfer rates of 75MB/s, however, with the same version of HD Tune, I was hovering around 55MB/s on Windows 7. My HDD is SATA 300 single drive in non-RAID mode.

People should realize that the scores posted by Windows 7 are not realistic.
I have a SATA150 that scores at 3. Others that have much faster drives, some even RAID's, score the same.

Get over it, and ignore it for now.

It is BETA software, FGS!!!

Word on the street is that the test is configured to give higher scores to SSD drives. So, the scale has changed..

Like I said - not realistic.

So stop worrying so much about 'performace ratings', and just use the OS and see what it does for you.

Open the Device Manager and open the Disk drives.
Right click the drive(s) and select properties. and then the policies tab.
Untick the two squares (Kyles earlier posting suggested ticking) Now reboot and run the WEI again. This is only going to work on IDE drives.
In most cases you will get a much higher score. You can tick the two items again, and it will not influence your score.

Open the Device Manager and open the Disk drives.
Right click the drive(s) and select properties. and then the policies tab.
Untick the two squares (Kyles earlier posting suggested ticking) Now reboot and run the WEI again. This is only going to work on IDE drives.
In most cases you will get a much higher score. You can tick the two items again, and it will not influence your score.

That worked just like you said. Interestingly most, maybe even all, of my scores are now higher than they were under Vista with the same hardware.

Back