Windows 7 Major side by side error on Win7 x64

Simonix

Hi!

I need help with big error. I'd try to install Adobe Premier Element, but i got error message "the application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect, please see application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"

After that nothing on my windows is working, except 64 bit explorer and only few programs. I cant listen mp3, watch videos, messenger and email is not working, i get that same error.

I read that it has something to do with tracelog and some file with missing parameters. I made tracelog but i cant open that file with any editor what it says need to fix. Heres my tracelog:

=================
Begin Activation Context Generation.
Input Parameter:
Flags = 0
ProcessorArchitecture = Wow32
CultureFallBacks = en-US;en
ManifestPath = C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
AssemblyDirectory = C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\
Application Config File =
-----------------
INFO: Parsing Manifest File C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe.
INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is Microsoft.Windows.WMplayer,processorArchitecture="*",type="win32",version="8.0.0.0".
INFO: Reference: Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,language="*",processorArchitecture="*",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="win32",version="6.0.0.0"
INFO: Resolving reference Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,language="*",processorArchitecture="*",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="win32",version="6.0.0.0".
INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture WOW64.
INFO: Resolving reference for culture en-US.
INFO: Applying Binding Policy.
INFO: No publisher policy found.
INFO: No binding policy redirect found.
INFO: Begin assembly probing.
INFO: Did not find the assembly in WinSxS.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls\6.0.0.0_en-US_6595b64144ccf1df\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.DLL.
INFO: Did not find manifest for culture en-US.
INFO: End assembly probing.
INFO: Resolving reference for culture en.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls\6.0.0.0_en_6595b64144ccf1df\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.DLL.
INFO: Did not find manifest for culture en.
INFO: Resolving reference for culture Neutral.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls\6.0.0.0__6595b64144ccf1df\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.DLL.
INFO: Did not find manifest for culture Neutral.
INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture x86.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls\6.0.0.0_en-US_6595b64144ccf1df\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\en-US\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\en-US\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.MANIFEST.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\en-US\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\en-US\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.MANIFEST.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls\6.0.0.0_en_6595b64144ccf1df\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.DLL.
INFO: Resolving reference for culture Neutral.
INFO: Auto Servicing Policy redirected assembly version.
INFO: Post policy assembly identity is Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="win32",version="6.0.7600.16661".
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16661_none_420fe3fa2b8113bd.manifest.
INFO: Manifest found at C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16661_none_420fe3fa2b8113bd.manifest.
INFO: Resolving reference Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui,language="*",processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="win32",version="6.0.7600.16661".
INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture WOW64.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui\6.0.7600.16661_en-US_6595b64144ccf1df\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui\6.0.7600.16661_en_6595b64144ccf1df\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui.DLL.
INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture x86.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui\6.0.7600.16661_en-US_6595b64144ccf1df\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\en-US\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\en-US\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui.MANIFEST.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\en-US\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\en-US\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui.MANIFEST.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui\6.0.7600.16661_en_6595b64144ccf1df\Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls.mui.DLL.
INFO: Parsing Manifest File C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16661_none_420fe3fa2b8113bd.manifest.
INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is (null).
ERROR: Line 0: XML Syntax error.
ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.
End Activation Context Generation.
--

I got new service pack with IE9 and now I can open programs without side by side error. But now when i try to listen mp3 files i get error "c:\windows\system32\ksuser.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains error, try installing the program again using the original intallation media or contact your system administrator or the software support" and after that "server execution failed".

I have new ksuser.dll file and i used "takeown" and "cacls" commands to have permission on it and delete it from system32 folder, but i can't access on system32 folder. It says you need to premission to access folder.

Any help would be nice.

I found some differences, but my eyes are not good enough to compare the entire report. What causes the difference, or what can you do about it--do not know -- yet....

INFO: Parsing Manifest File C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe.
INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is Microsoft.Windows.WMplayer,processorArchitecture="*",type="win32",version="8.0.0.0".
INFO: Reference: Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,language="*",processorArchitecture="*",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="win32",version="6.0.0.0"
INFO: Resolving reference Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,language="*",processorArchitecture="*",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="win32",version="6.0.0.0".

Every where you have "*", I have *&#x2a" but the other parts of the report I did check, seem to be the same. I decided to go ahead and post this, prior to my research, to allow you to search for answers...

I have now new problem too. Because any sound didn't work I updated my RealTek driver and now when I try to open any windows folder or control panel etc. I get message "windows explorer has stopped" and "restarting" but nothing happens.

Hi

If you have a restore point before you started the whole process go back to that.

Next go to the run window and type SFC /scannow

Let it do it's thing.

Read this...

this application failed to start because side-by-side-configuration is - Microsoft Answers

Try installing the Microsoft C++ package.

Download: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

If you are using AVG antivirus try uninstalling it and switch to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Remove and reinstall Premiere Elements, preferably in a different location then it was, i.e. C:\Adobe\

Hope this helps.

Mike

It also appears you are working without SP1..have you refused the update? I don't suppose you have an option to do the update now?

I have service pack 1, it fixed the side by side error but the major two errors right now are that

1. "windows explorer stopped" when i try to go any folder or control panel

2. ksuser.dll error when i try to open media player or any mp3 file and i think that is the main reason why i can't hear any sound from web pages and it won't recognize ASIO driver and i can't use mic because theres no drivers that can recognize it

Only that works right now are programs outside windows and 32-bit explorer, 64-bit version stops too.

Hi

If you have a restore point before you started the whole process go back to that.
Mike

I've tried that and it didn't work.
Next go to the run window and type SFC /scannow

Let it do it's thing.
Mike
I got message "found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them, details are on cbs.log text file"

I cant post that log on this page, it crashes exlorer when i try to do it.

Did that too didn't make any change.
Hi

If you are using AVG antivirus try uninstalling it and switch to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Mike

I have only Avast.

You want to go back to basics here and find the root cause of the problem. When Side-By-Side becomes corrupted, the root cause of the problem is usually a damaged file system or HD. It is surprising that Service Pack 1 installed with these kinds of errors. Normally, it will not do so under conditions whereas the operating system is damaged. I am going to ask an obvious question, and that is if you have done a complete chkdsk /r of the system drive. It looks like you have more going on here than just corrupt OS files. You will want to ensure that there is no damage to the hard disk drive or file system. More so, you should be ready for the likelihood that, with lots of corrupt system files and driver failures, you may need to do a clean install. This is simply the nature of losing WinSxS. You may get away with running the system in this state for a long time, but you will end up with some kind of strange problem like you are noticing frequently. Usually, the root cause of the problem is going to be from:

1. Disk errors related to repeated improper shutdowns or power outages
2. Disk errors from a failing hard disk drive (mechanical errors)

You want to go back to basics here and find the root cause of the problem. When Side-By-Side becomes corrupted, the root cause of the problem is usually a damaged file system or HD. It is surprising that Service Pack 1 installed with these kinds of errors. Normally, it will not do so under conditions whereas the operating system is damaged. I am going to ask an obvious question, and that is if you have done a complete chkdsk /r of the system drive. It looks like you have more going on here than just corrupt OS files. You will want to ensure that there is no damage to the hard disk drive or file system. More so, you should be ready for the likelihood that, with lots of corrupt system files and driver failures, you may need to do a clean install. This is simply the nature of losing WinSxS. You may get away with running the system in this state for a long time, but you will end up with some kind of strange problem like you are noticing frequently. Usually, the root cause of the problem is going to be from:

1. Disk errors related to repeated improper shutdowns or power outages
2. Disk errors from a failing hard disk drive (mechanical errors)

Hard drive is not the problem. Chkdsk was allright and I have quite new HD.

Other possibilities could include an errant program that has damaged Side-by-Side configuration or malicious code on your system. I do not see a way to fix these problems by hand. Attempting to do so without understanding the cause may resolve the problem temporarily, but it is something that could just happen over and over again. Normal Windows installations do not have these types of errors. Do you have any recollection as to what was going on with your system when this issue started? If so, that may give some insight into how the problem started.

The read-out you have with Windows Media Player and WinSXS does not appear anywhere on Google except your posts to another forum. When you ran the chkdsk did you look in Event Viewer for the read out to confirm that there was no problem with the file system? You do not need to have a faulty hard drive for your file system to be corrupted during a crash. Clearly you have integrity problems with operating system files or you wouldn't be getting these types of results.

Does anybody know if I install Windows 8 preview version over my windows 7 would it fix this kind of problem?

Do not to that!! There is no version of Windows 8 available @ this time for that. Such a version will materialize towards the end of 2012.

Do not do that w/ anything but, an RTM or GA.

If you want to install an OS to fix things, which is likely a good idea, then re-install Windows 7. And when you do, put in MSE not, Avast or anything else.

Drew

Last edited:
Do not to that!! There is no version of Windows 8 available @ this time for that. Such a version will materialize towards the end of 2012.

Do not do that w/ anything but, an RTM or GA.

If you want to install an OS to fix things, which is likely a good idea, then re-install Windows 7. And when you do, put in MSE not, Avast or anything else.

Drew

I think i'll make clean install with Win8 beta which arrives end of month. I've used Win7 from beta to RC with no problems. I don't have Win7 DVD to make re install.

You have a Key, already, so download a Win7 ISO from Digital River, burn it @ a slow speed & use that Key.

Drew

Hello
I have Win 7 x 64 and notice side by side.
There are no malfunctions that I can tell although side by side shows in the event viewer.
I am not techy so am asking if it is safe and appropriate to just contiunue until this issue is resolved.
I read that this is just a way of showing compatibility but the red error does not make sense.
Thank you
Peter

Back