Windows 7 Media Streaming Options NOT saving.

Rodzilka

I’ve been trying to stream media from my computer to the PS3. So far my guess is that the reason it isn’t working is because when I go to,
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Media streaming options,
the pull down menu ‘Show devices on:’ is on ‘Local network’ and only shows only my PC. Whenever I change it to ‘All networks’ I see the ‘Unknown Device’ (I think this is the PS3). When I click ‘OK’ it doesn’t seem to keep the changes. When I reopen ‘Choose media streaming options…’ it’s back on ‘Local network’.

We recently got a new router (Linksys E2500) and this issue seemed to start about then. It could have something to do with the router but I’m wondering why these setting won’t save for me. If I recall correctly, these settings saved when we used our old router. Just some other info that may be useful, my computer has a wired connection to the router and the PS3 is connecting wirelessly.

Any ideas how to fix this?

I don't have a PS3 and am not familiar with its capabilities. But is there a model number I could look for info on?

Have you tried wiring it to make sure it is set up correctly? Is it able to do the WPS setup option or are you setting up the IP addresses and security choices manually?

Last edited:
The model number is CECHE01
I haven't tried wiring the PS3. It connects to the router fine. It worked with our old router and was able to stream wireless too. I still feel it has something to do with my media streaming options not changing.

Is the PS3 recognized by the network other that with the Media Streaming options? Does it show if you build a map of your system?

Are you using the same SSID on it as your wireless network?

Do you have network discovery turned on?

Do any other devices show in the basic Media Streaming window?

Have you tried to set up streaming the the Windows Media Player - Stream?

This is an image of our Network Map. Not sure if the PS3 might be labeled as one of the Switchs or the Hub.
Network Map.png

Yes the PS3 is useing the same SSID as our wireless network (LookingUp-guest). Does it matter if it says guest like that?

Yes I do have network discovery turned on.

If by the basic Media Streaming window you're referring to the media streaming options I see this
media streaming options.png
This is the page I'm talking about that doesn't seem to stay on 'All networks' and always goes back to "Local network'. Under "Local network' it only shows 'Media programs on this PC and remote connections...' (if that helps).

Yes I've tried to set up streaming with WMP, that is what I was intending to use for steaming tot he PS3. In WMP under 'Stream' I have selected 'Automatically allow devices to stream my media...'

If guest means the same as I am used to, it may have access to the internet, but not your personal LAN. But I don't have enough experience to say for sure.

The LT computer seems to show a wired and wireless connection to the router (thru other devices). Does it have both cable and wireless connected to something?

Someone else may come along soon that understands what might be going on better than I.

Thanks I got it working by changing the the connection on the PS3 to the same SSID (LookingUp). Everything seems to work fine now.
:)

Back