Microsoft released a emergency fixit today for all version's of Internet Explorer !!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Security' started by brkkab, Sep 17, 2013.

1. brkkab

brkkab Senior Member

Mike likes this.
  2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Just read the article...it's only for 32 bit versions of IE

3. brkkab

brkkab Senior Member

4. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

Wow! Can't wait for that round of new viruses to hit--that's gonna make me more $$ repairing all that new damage. :wound: But, it's so darn time consuming. I'd just as soon switch my Customers over to Chrome or Firefox, but they have their own problems on Government and Banking transaction sites using SSL.

BIGBEARJEDI

5. brkkab

brkkab Senior Member

Disable the fixit on Tuesday. Microsoft has a IE update coming this Tuesday for it, but the fixit need's to be disabled first, so you get the real update.

6. seekermeister

seekermeister Honorable Member

I didn't see any download link in that article, only a link to another MS page which addressed the issue, but not with a download link either. I finally ended up on this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2879017

Which apparently does have a download link, but I won't be able to use it until after Windows Update finishes installing the 26 updates from yesterday.

EDIT: I guess that I should have read to the end of this thread before posting, because now it appears that the fixit isn't needed anyway.

#6 seekermeister, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  7. seekermeister

seekermeister Honorable Member

Is that gleam in your photo from you glasses or your eyes?

8. Josephur

Josephur Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

I don't think people should use the "Fix it" tool mentioned here but rather the true patch mentioned if you read all the Microsoft text which is located at:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-080

You must pick your version of IE to get the correct installer. For me this was a 35MB update for IE10 on Win 8 64-bit, holy cow.. Can someone please teach Microsoft how to truly patch files and not just replace the whole freaking browser? On another note when I downloaded the package it told me it was already installed, so its already out on Windows Update. So if your up to date on Microsoft Updates you most likely do not need this patch at all.