Windows 7 Microsoft security Essentials scan

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello Win 7 x64, i5, 1G Dell 8300 XPS

Why would this scan run inordinately long?A full scan was stopped at 5 hours and 866,000 files were scanned.
Thank you
Peter

Some files, such a .cab and compressed may take longer than normal. Some files may need special treatment.

I don't know if the time is related to the number of files scanned, but you can watch the scan and see if any particular files or particular locations take longer than you would think.

I will usually exclude certain locations on my system the may keep the Windows cab files, or Windows Update downloads and backups, etc. Maybe you could reduce the scan time using that option.

Some files, such a .cab and compressed may take longer than normal. Some files may need special treatment.

I don't know if the time is related to the number of files scanned, but you can watch the scan and see if any particular files or particular locations take longer than you would think.

I will usually exclude certain locations on my system the may keep the Windows cab files, or Windows Update downloads and backups, etc. Maybe you could reduce the scan time using that option.

Would that mean to exclude the program itself and Malware Anti-Malware?
Peter

I wouldn't go through and pick out file by file. I certainly not exempt folders that contained .exe files. But what you exclude is up to you. I just think archived files in know Windows storage areas are not dangerous. If you watch the scan some, you may see what I mean.

I wouldn't go through and pick out file by file. I certainly not exempt folders that contained .exe files. But what you exclude is up to you. I just think archived files in know Windows storage areas are not dangerous. If you watch the scan some, you may see what I mean.

>>I will watch the scan - btw, I reinstalled MSE and the program seems to be runing better.

Back