Windows 8 'Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 v2.0'

'Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 v2.0'
I have the above mentioned KB/Mouse combination with its antenna. This used to work
fine with Windows 7, and also with Windows 8 customer preview version - which I had
downloaded and used for nearly 3 months.
I purchased a Windows 8 Pro version and installed the 64 bit. The mouse and Key board
worked fine till the installation of Windows, and for sometime after that also. Now,
once installation of other applications and all tweakings were over, the KB/Mouse
combination is detected, but without drivers. I have tried my best to see what happens.
I request the community to give me suggestions.

Details of my System are as follows

Operating System
MS Windows 64-bit
CPU: AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
RAM: 8.0GB
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. F1A75-V PRO (FM1 )
Graphics:ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Hard Drives
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD (IDE) ( C drive)
60GB Corsair Force 3 SSD (IDE) ( other applications)
500GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00AADS-00M2B0 SATA Disk Device (IDE) 32 °C(Storage)
150GB Western Digital WDC WD15 00HLFS-01G6U1 SATA Disk Device (IDE) 35 °C(storage)

I suppose you have checked the batteries.. the manual says 6 months typical life for the keyboard and 3 months for the mouse.

Have you tried another USB port? Sometimes moving it will cause new drivers to be loaded.

Thank you very much
Both the KB and Mouse are on rechargeable batteries, and they are always in full charge. Remember they worked alright till the installation of most of the applications are completed. More over I have Windows 7 on another drive where it is working beautifully. A downloaded driver. If I try to update the driver for these peripherals, the system says Windows has installed the right driver , but some error occurred. Some thing connected with .INF or so, which is made for Win 95.And if I disconnect the Antenna and restart the computer the connector, the system automatically tries to install the driver. But this is never ending process. The progress bar goes up to 95% or so and remains there without further advance. I once waited for 8 hours.
Dr. K. A. Rasheed

I see you have been on the Microsoft Forums, so you have seen the links to drivers for your device and I assume you are trying those.. On one page the votes on whether the device is compatible with Windows 8 shows 3 out of 14 said it was compatible.

The Device Model you show seems to be for the Keyboard only, do you know the designation of the Keyboard and Mouse combination?

Microsoft shows that no drivers are necessary. If the unit is older, it may only have certain abilities. The final release of Windows 8 did add some requirements the Pre-releases did not have. Perhaps your system got caught in that change. Or you might try installing the driver in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Your comments about the devices working for a short time after the Install of Windows 8 seems to indicate, as you probably suspect, another driver was loaded and is causing problems. You can turn off automatic hardware driver updates using the Advanced System settings and the Hardware tab. The Device Installation Settings should stop updates for testing. But I am in Windows 7 now, so I will have to see if Windows 8 has the same options.

What does the device manager say about your keyboard..is it listed correctly or just say HID?

I see you have been on the Microsoft Forums, so you have seen the links to drivers for your device and I assume you are trying those.. On one page the votes on whether the device is compatible with Windows 8 shows 3 out of 14 said it was compatible.

The Device Model you show seems to be for the Keyboard only, do you know the designation of the Keyboard and Mouse combination?

Microsoft shows that no drivers are necessary. If the unit is older, it may only have certain abilities. The final release of Windows 8 did add some requirements the Pre-releases did not have. Perhaps your system got caught in that change. Or you might try installing the driver in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Your comments about the devices working for a short time after the Install of Windows 8 seems to indicate, as you probably suspect, another driver was loaded and is causing problems. You can turn off automatic hardware driver updates using the Advanced System settings and the Hardware tab. The Device Installation Settings should stop updates for testing. But I am in Windows 7 now, so I will have to see if Windows 8 has the same options.

What does the device manager say about your keyboard..is it listed correctly or just say HID?

Thank you very much for the response
The gadget is a combo of KB and Mouse with its on USB antenna.
If I update the driver from the devise manager the result is 'driver was updated , but with errors,.
I think I should re-install the whole lot, from Windows to all other drivers and applications, for which I have separate list in a pre thought out sequence - printed., and see exactly at what stage the KB and Mouse getting lost, most probably as some of friends suggested, may be due to 'one particular application or hardware driver'. Let me see it a week and will cone back to you
Dr. K. A. Rasheed

If I update the driver from the devise manager the result is 'driver was updated , but with errors

I never use this to update any drivers because of that reason. It's recommended that you update through the vendors website. I would go to the vendors website download the driver/software again and save it to desktop. Then go and uninstall the old driver/software from the uninstall programs list from with in the control panel, reboot and then install the vendors driver/software that you saved on the desktop.

Back