Mirror Image on Two Computers

kirkie

Is it possible to transfer everything from an old computer to a new one so it is like a mirror image?

For example if I was using an Acer and wanted it to mirror image everything onto a Dell?

Thanks in advance.

This would violate the End User License Agreement for Microsoft Windows 7 and would involve software piracy.

kirkie has reported a post.

Reason: I think you misunderstood me. The new computer would have windows 7 already installed, but I want to put all my old files, pictures settings and everything on it from the old computer.

Yes, I do misunderstand you, because you titled this thread
Mirror Image on Two Computers

which is a very specific operation that would never work for you anyway.

If Windows 7 is already installed, and activated on the other computer, and it has access to the same network, just type \\computername in the Start Menu and you can share folders over the workgroup.

Alternatively you can create a password-protected HomeGroup.

To further explain your dilemma:

Even if you imaged/mirrored an entire drive to a new system, it would not work because the HAL is different, especially when talking about Dell and Acer.

Secondly, such an attempt could be sincerely be construed as copyright infringement if the activation keys are left in tact on both images irregardless if the software passes activation or not.

If you want to transfer files, now that your thread has been closed, and re-opened, you could try "Windows Easy File Transfer" for this purpose.

You can share files across a workgroup by Viewing Network Connections or simply typing \\computername in the Start Menu with file sharing enabled.

You can create a HomeGroup to access the computers on your network, by password, from Windows Explorer.

But you cannot legally create an entire disk image of a drive and copy it to another machine without violating the EULA. Any further discussion of such a procedure will require that this thread is, unfortunately, closed again. The attempt breaks your license, doesn't work, and even if Windows boots, you'll still be subject to re-activation.

What the issue is that I currently have an Acer Aspire 5610 and I need to get a new screen for it. I have decided that in the long run it would be more cost effective to get a new laptop. What I was hoping was to somehow copy the whole hard drive from one to the other so the new computer would look like the old.

but I want to put all my old files, pictures settings and everything on it from the old computer.
Perhaps you can take a look at this Windows Easy Transfer - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
As Mike has already suggested.

Is it possible to transfer everything from an old computer to a new one so it is like a mirror image
As Mike has already indicated, this mirroring and or imaging process while perhaps technically possible (provided that the HAL "Hardware Abstraction Layer" is close enough to even support booting after the process is completed) it may very well call into question, from a legal standpoint if you may be in violation of the Microsoft OEM license agreement. Since an OEM license is pretty much locked in association with the Operating System with a particular Hardware Configuration and since as you address the new computer (Dell) will have Windows 7 pre-installed, that would seem to cover the terms of the OEM in so far as the OS / Hardware link. However there are other more subtle legalities regarding OEM Licenses and how they actually are applied and the requirements that govern thier use by Origianal Equipment Manufacturers. I refer you to this article http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/training/opk/Pages/default.aspx as well as the links at the bottom of this link regarding FAQs, Transfers, Downgrade rights, etc. However, probably the most important information to consider is that you as an end user, are not the OEM as it would apply in either case regarding either of these two systems and as a consequence, it's possible, if not probable that none of these rights or terms of use can legally be claimed by you.
As Mike has attempted to point out, the process that you are proposing is not likely to produce the desired results and it would be my suggestion that you leave the installed operating system alone and use more conventional means of installing the appropriate software and transferring your important data to the new machine.
Of course you are free to ignore my advice as well and proceed as you see fit.
Good luck and Best Wishes
Randy

Last edited:
as trouble has said saving your personal data then performing a fresh install is always better :cool:

Cheers kirkie;
And since your arrival here on the forums was somewhat inauspicious, let me take this opportunity to welcome you and thank you for your participation and membership.
As you have no doubt realized, our policy here regarding anything that smacks of or has the potential to devolve into a discussion of software piracy is "Zero Tolerance". And sometimes the simplest of question will set off alarm bells and warning signals.
So I hope you don't feel that you have been mistreated or disrespected as that was not anyone's intentions. The forums rules are plainly stated here Link Removed due to 404 Error and everyone is required to make sure their post are in compliance with the Terms of Service.
Thank you for understanding
Randy

Back