Windows 7 Misc Crashing, very weird..

crocksmoke

Ok, so about 2 hours ago I was playing M&B Warband, and listening to some music. My computer then randomly shut down as I tabbed out, black screen, just figured my windows crapped out or whatever. Power still running, fans still going, just black screen. So I shut it down by holding down power button, and restart the computer. Computer boots up into the "Windows did not shut down properly" prompt, which I select "Start Windows normally". After which it starts booting windows. A second or so later my screen is all red and yellow, maybe some blue. It was like a mess of blocks. So I shut it down again and let it cool off. Start it about 5 minutes later to no input detected through to the monitor.

It was pretty dusty so i figured I'd just clean it out and get dust out. Put everything back in, dust free, and restart. Now I'm getting the same issue. Did another shut down and reboot it a bit later. Now the computer wont even start. But it is getting power to the GPU because the PCI-E plugs are lit up green like normal. Is my GPU fried? Did I kill my computer?

CPU
AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core

CPU Cooling
Antec Kuhler H20 950

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+

Memory
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Storage
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card
Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB

Case
BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply
Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Also, AS I WAS WRITING THIS the computer randomly kicked on, but there is nothing coming up on my screen.

Just a guess, but it could be a cable problem with your monitor / video card. They sometimes malfunction, or you may hit the cable while vacuuming. Or something. "Loose contact", perhaps?

Try removing the GPU and re-installing it. If you notice a burnt cherry type of smell then something has burnt out. If the pc can start up how many beeps do you hear?

I removed the GPU and re-installed it, gently cleaned out dust that was on the underside with the fans and that didn't help any. And I dont hear any beeps or anything.

I'll check the cable but I highly doubt thats the issue.

Normally when a pc starts up your hear the post beep which means all is ok. No beep at all means either no power, which you say you have or a loose card or a possible short. Your description of the events does also make the GPU a prime suspect. I guess you could try it in a different PCIE slot but really you'd be better off testing it in a different or friends machine.

It does sound like something may have overheated. If you had or can get your hands on a cheap Video card, it might be useful in testing. If the board has built in video, you might try that, but it doesn't look like it does.

board doesn't have a built in video unfortunately. Now im just having an issue with the machine getting power.

I'm pretty fast with recommending a professional who can check the computer while it is physically present. They don't charge very much. To give an example, I've updated BIOS many times, but when I did it "this time" something went wrong, and after scratching my head for a while, since my comp didn't start at all, I unplugged everything and took off to a service / retailer I know. Two hours, €39, which also included dust cleaning, and everything works just fine.

It's a good move to have connections - not preaching here, I hope you get it running.

Back