Windows 8 Mouse and Keyboard not working Win 8.1 64gb Desktop

Byrdie Pillinger

I have a three year old dell inspron desktop running updated windows 8.1 64bit. Suddenly NONE of the input devices are working. I've tried several different wireless mice, and I've tried both a wired and wireless keyboard. NOTHING. I've tried using different ports (both on the computer on on my splitter) I've tried unhooking both devices, rebooting, then hooking them back up... looks like its loading drivers, makes noise, but still nothing. Tried rebooting with them installed. ARRRGGGHHH. Since I have no keyboard I can't do safe start (don't even know if that works with windows8 ).

I do have a "repair disk" that I created when the computer was new.... tried rebooting with it in the drive.... didn't do anything other than restart the computer with the same non-functioning input devices.

I hear my external hard drive working... so it must be doing something... so I guess its not all USB devices that are down. And the computer "dings" when I try to attach either to a usb port.

I did install new logitech software last week, but it worked fine for several days, just quit working when it woke from sleep. I'd love to uninstall the logitech and go back with standard (functioning drivers), or do a system restore, but I can't do that since the mouse is not working.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you tried a keyboard and mouse with the PS/2 connector to see if that may provide you the ability to use the input devices?

@Shado: Most Dell inspiron desktops haven't come with built-in PS/2 ports for at least 5 years. It's doubtful the OP has them; if she does then she can test it.

@Byrdie: Hi, so you know, most Windows 8/8.x computers do NOT have the ability to access Safe Mode via the old reliable F8 key on windows bootup.:noway: Microsoft got rid of that in W8x due to security reasons; unauthorized users of your computer or even a burglar in your home or apartment could easily bypass windows password security to get into your computer and access your private information.:pirate: There are other ways to access Safe Mode, but on newer computers with UEFI BIOS, this can be much more difficult for the average person to accomplish. As far as your attempt to reboot to your Recovery Disc you made, if your computer has UEFI BIOS, which most modern computers have now (modern means built > 2009), this will not work as you must temporarily DISABLE UEFI and set your BIOS to work with your bootable Windows recovery disc.

Here's a couple of links to help you out:

How to access SAFE MODE in Windows 8/8.1:
How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 or 10 (The Easy Way)

How to make your UEFI BIOS computer to access bootable media:
How to enable boot from DVD option with UEFI boot mode enabled. (Windows 8, 8.1 & 10) | Dell US

Also, once you get into SAFE MODE, you may not be able to access SYSTEM RESTORE, as most Win8x computers System Restore is disabled as it is in Windows10.:waah: If you never enabled it yourself, it's probably turned off and will fail since it never had the chance to create System Restore points from which to use the Recovery restore option.:shocked:

If all of this doesn't work, you are facing a bigger problem such as major Windows system corruption, Registry corruption, virus/malware infection, or most expensive to fix is hardware failures such as faulty RAM memory stick(s), hard drive, or Motherboard. For this troubleshooting and testing take at look at my post here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
Take a look at my POST #6 once you follow the link. It's 6-8 pages, so you may wish to access it on another working computer from a friend or your local public library; print it out and bring back to wherever your computer is and then work on it with the document in front of you.

These links should help you to fix your problem. :up:

If you get down to the bottom link for troubleshooting and repair; you should be patient as it can take 2-4 days to completely test and repair your computer. Longer if you are a novice at this.

Post back if you have any further questions or get stuck. We are here 24x7x365 and one of use will get back to you to answer any questions.

Best of luck to you,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

BigBear... Thanks... I appreciate your reply. My guess is that I can't do any of that stuff since I don't have any way of inputting anything into the computer..... But since you took the time to write all that..... I'm going to take the time to read it! thanks.

So, as Shado mentioned, you have no PS/2 ports on your PC to plug in PS/2 keyboard and mouse, correct?

You know you can also take your PC into the local computer repair shop and you can pay them to diagnose the problem. If it's a failed hard drive or RAM; you're looking at a $120-$160 US bill here in the U.S. About 2-3 times that overseas. If you are outside the US and especially in Australia or Norway it might be cheaper just to buy a new computer.:waah:

If you get a personal referral to a computer Tech or look one up in the Yellow Pages or online, make certain that they are professionally licensed and have at least an A+ Certification license or equivalent. In fact, ask the Tech or the Store you go to for their license number. If they say they don't have it on them, don't remember it, lost their card, etc.; go somewhere else, they don't have it and never did, or if they did it expired and they didn't bother renewing.:noway: :ohno:It's just like hiring a General Contractor to put in a new driveway or bathroom in your home. No license means they usually don't know what they are doing, and you'll have no recourse whatsoever if they scramble your computer or lose all your personal data (Documents, photos, music libraries, movies, E-mails, etc.). :headache: If you like, you can Post their license back here, and I'll be happy to call the licensing agency (CompTIA) for you and run their number to see if they are legit or not. If you use an independent licensed Tech such as me, who works out of their home or a small shop, they will be much cheaper than one of the big computer chain stores such as Best Buy or Fry's. To diagnose your problem for instance, I charge about $35; and if you have parts that failed and need replacing, I simply add that cost into the bill, labor and parts, less the diagnosis charge. If your Motherboard hasn't failed, there's a good chance you can get it repaired for under $100 by an indepent licensed Tech.

Hope that helps.
Let us know how it turns out.:teeth:

Best,
BBJ

As predicted, I read
How to access SAFE MODE in Windows 8/8.1: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 or 10 (The Easy Way)
I can boot the computer, but I can't enter anything.
And it was really well written and very clear.... but I can't hold shift or press F anything.... Keyboard not working.
What I think you are telling me is that repair by a pro (even if he can do it) is going to be expensive.... Worth trying?

BigBearJedi, you are correct no Ps2 ports. :( How expensive would a port be to install, and what is the likelihood it would help if I picked up a keyboard at the thrift store? I have Avast AV (paid version) installed..... hope I don't have a virus on it. It still boots with the power button, so do you think it would be the HD or RAM?

Thanks for the advice on the Tech support. Pushing $200 for repair - - YIKES (yes - USA)..... might just mean I am better off biting the bullet and buying a new one....though we JUST bought a new laptop last week :(

I really appreciate your time and responses. THANKS

QUOTE="BIGBEARJEDI, post: 679317, member: 71113"]So, as Shado mentioned, you have no PS/2 ports on your PC to plug in PS/2 keyboard and mouse, correct?

You know you can also take your PC into the local computer repair shop and you can pay them to diagnose the problem. If it's a failed hard drive or RAM; you're looking at a $120-$160 US bill here in the U.S. About 2-3 times that overseas. If you are outside the US and especially in Australia or Norway it might be cheaper just to buy a new computer.:waah:

If you get a personal referral to a computer Tech or look one up in the Yellow Pages or online, make certain that they are professionally licensed and have at least an A+ Certification license. In fact, as the Tech or the Store you go to for their license number. If they say they don't have it on them, don't remember it, lost their card, etc.; go somewhere else, they don't have it and never did, or if they did it expired and they didn't bother renewing. It's just like hiring a General Contractor to put in a new driveway or bathroom in your home. No license means they usually don't know what they are doing, and you'll have no recourse whatsoever if they scramble your computer or lose all your personal data (Documents, photos, music libraries, movies, E-mails, etc.). If you like, you can Post their license back here, and I'll be happy to call the licensing agency (CompTIA) for you and run their number to see if they are legit or not. If you use an independent licensed Tech such as me, who works out of their home or a small shop, they will be much cheaper than one of the big computer chain stores such as Best Buy or Fry's. To diagnose your problem for instance, I charge about $35; and if you have parts that failed and need replacing, I simply add that cost into the bill, labor and parts, less the diagnosis charge. If your Motherboard hasn't failed, there's a good chance you can get it repaired for under $100 by an indepent licensed Tech.

Hope that helps.

Best,
BBJ[/QUOTE]

Wish you were in South Carolina!!! I posted in my neighborhood facebook group to see if anyone has any suggestions. Would never use a big box! My hat is off to you, I tried to take the A+ class twice..... couldn't keep up with the kids. (I'm 60)

BigBearJedi, you are correct no Ps2 ports. :( How expensive would a port be to install, and what is the likelihood it would help if I picked up a keyboard at the thrift store? I have Avast AV (paid version) installed..... hope I don't have a virus on it. It still boots with the power button, so do you think it would be the HD or RAM?

Thanks for the advice on the Tech support. Pushing $200 for repair - - YIKES (yes - USA)..... might just mean I am better off biting the bullet and buying a new one....though we JUST bought a new laptop last week :(

QUOTE="BIGBEARJEDI, post: 679317, member: 71113"]So, as Shado mentioned, you have no PS/2 ports on your PC to plug in PS/2 keyboard and mouse, correct?

If you get a personal referral to a computer Tech or look one up in the Yellow Pages or online, make certain that they are professionally licensed and have at least an A+ Certification license. In fact, as the Tech or the Store you go to for their license number. If they say they don't have it on them, don't remember it, lost their card, etc.; go somewhere else, they don't have it and never did, or if they did it expired and they didn't bother renewing. It's just like hiring a General Contractor to put in a new driveway or bathroom in your home. No license means they usually don't know what they are doing, and you'll have no recourse whatsoever if they scramble your computer or lose all your personal data (Documents, photos, music libraries, movies, E-mails, etc.). If you like, you can Post their license back here, and I'll be happy to call the licensing agency (CompTIA) for you and run their number to see if they are legit or not. If you use an independent licensed Tech such as me, who works out of their home or a small shop, they will be much cheaper than one of the big computer chain stores such as Best Buy or Fry's. To diagnose your problem for instance, I charge about $35; and if you have parts that failed and need replacing, I simply add that cost into the bill, labor and parts, less the diagnosis charge. If your Motherboard hasn't failed, there's a good chance you can get it repaired for under $100 by an indepent licensed Tech.

Hope that helps.

Best,
BBJ
[/QUOTE]

That procedure doesn't work on all computers, and if the encoder/decoder keyboard chip in your Motherboard or your DMA chip or some other electronic component like an Integrated Circuit or some such has failed, there is no fixing that! Motherboard replacement repairs ARE VERY EXPENSIVE, and can run from $275 - $1,500 US.

If you take it to a Pro and they say they can't fix it; they are incompetent, as it can always be fixed. Find a different Pro (don't forget to make sure they are licensed as in my explanation above!). I've never seen a computer I can't fix in 29 years of computer repair. However, it can often cost more than the Customer is willing to pay for either parts or for labor or both in order to do so. :crying:

Anytime your computer or your car breaks, it's probably going to be expensive. That word however has different connotations to different people. Some people consider $10 to be expensive, especially seniors as many of my customers are who live on fixed income. Folks that make a 6-figure annual income seem to think anything over $150 is expensive since you can just about buy a brand new computer for that (new laptops and chromebooks go for $179 on Sale at most major computer chains or online outlets such as Amazon, eBay, and PCMall).

As a reminder, you shouldn't be paying more than $95 for diagnosis anywhere in the U.S.; that cost is for Best Buy Geek Squad carry in service. They are the Cadillac of Computer Service places to take your computer (since CompUSA went out of businesss several years ago). I also personally trained many of the Geek Squad Techs and have used them for many years with outstanding results. :teeth: Of course, if you live in a rural area hundreds of miles from the nearest big city, and you have them come to you (and they will in most States), you are looking at an additional $165 just for them to drive to your front door.:shocked:

Another good resource, is to check with your local Computer Club if you have one near where you live; there are often licensed Computer Techs that hang out there or at least the Club can refer you to that they have personally used and like, and often they will be cheaper (and more reputable!) than looking one up in the Yellow Pages. My local Computer Club is one of my biggest referral sources for new business!

Best of luck, post back if you have any further questions. :cool:
BBJ

>>>Personally, Dell's are my number 1 recommended laptop; so if you buy a replacement, stick with them. I repair all the major brands, but I see Dell's fail a lot less than all the other brands put together. I also like working on them, in fact there is a guy up here where I live that only repairs Dells-nothing else! The other thing I should tell you, is that your Dell 8.1 laptop is 3-5 years old, and that's pretty good for any laptops. If you repair your Dell, it will last 10 years or so. I have a Dell laptop my College gave me when I was teaching A+ classes there a few years ago. It was built in 1999 (17 years ago), and it still turns on and works; though far too slow to do anything with on the Internet these days. There is no other brand of laptop I see in my repair shop that has ever lasted more than 10 yrs. Enough on that. Even with Dell, their components don't last as long as they used to; hard drives and memory sticks etc. So, if you do buy another new laptop make certain you buy at least a 2 year replacement extended warranty (of course 3 yrs. is better, but most people don't buy that due to cost). And FYI, you can go to a 3rd party warranty insurer such as Asurion and get an extended warranty on that other new laptop you said you bought just last week. You can go from 2-5 years; I'd go back and do that now while you're experiencing the death-throes of a broken computer and it's got your attention. It's actually worth taking a loan out to get that extended warranty(s), and yes, I've done that before on my own computers I bought. It can save you HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS down the road! :cash:
<<<

>>>You're welcome! ;) That's exactly what we're here for. Best of luck going forward. BBJ :encouragement: :D
>>>Don't forget to put a "like" on this post or other posts in this thread if you've found any of this information helpful. It lets our Admins know we are doing a good job! <:)<<

Hope that helps.

Best,
BBJ
[/QUOTE]

Especially on dell laptops with docking stations, I've seen the root hubs stop working, and a simple removal from device manager and re-install makes them work again of course that's if you can get at least the keyboard working. Does the keyboard work in BIOS at all? If it does then you at least know the keyboard itself and the port are working.

It's worth trying what neemo suggests here. If the keyboard and port are working, you can go forward. If you only have the one working usb port, you can use your hub and plug both the keyboard and mouse into the working usb port. If those both in work in BIOS, you may be able to narrow down the problem further if both devices work while in BIOS mode.

You mentioned buying a used keyboard at a thrift store. You have to be careful there, as I used to work at a thrift store and test/repair computers there. A lot of their stuff is not tested, so buying a $3 keyboard that's got broken keys or a bad encoder chip will not help you with the problem. It's better to spend $10-$15 for a new one at your local computer store and get one that's known to work. If that's out of your reach, you can try asking friends, family, or co-workers if they have a keyboard from a desktop PC you can borrow for a day or so to do the testing. If they use their PC regularly, the keyboard is known to work and can be used to test your PC with.

If you can get the keyboard and mouse working, you can use my Post #3 to narrow down if a failed RAM or HDD as you asked. Or failed Motherboard, though that takes much more work to determine. I already mentioned the fact that your Hard Drive is the most suspect failed device and that it can cause the symptoms you are having. In fact, some hard drives when they fail can lock up the computer so badly, that no lights or noise can be seen or heard at all--until you remove the HDD from the laptop completely. When lights and noise come back after doing so, it's a pretty good bet that the HDD has failed and is causing the laptop to be totally unresponsive, AND IT'S TIME TO REPLACE IT! :waah:

Best of luck,
BBJ

Back