Windows 7 MSConfig and services.msc are missing...?

hybucket

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but...this morning I noticed an exclamation in my taskbar that services were not running. I looked for services.msc in the search in the start button, but nothing came up. I also typed in MSConfig in the search in the start button search, and again, nothing came up. I also cannot find anything that resembles "administrative tools" anywhere, The exclamation point has since disappeared and in the taskmanager, it appears to be working, but...why am I not seeing these items in my start button? Exactly what does services.msc do? I'm running the 64-bit Windows 7. Any help would be appreciated.

Some versions of Windows 7 does not install a services.msc, but you may be able to start it form the Task Manager. Go to the services tab and bottom right for the Services button. Services allows you to start and stop some services you cannot do in Task Manager.

Have you run any virus scans lately, or done any system maintenance?

I have gone to the Task Manager, and everything appears to be OK there now, there are a long list of services, some say "running," some say Stop. I have no idea what any of them mean. As I mentioned, the notification with the exclamation in the task bar has disappeared, so I assume everything is OK. I have done no system maintenance...have not run a virus scan recently, but the virus program is up to date. ANy idea where the msconfig is?

Msconfig.exe should be in your Windows\System32 folder. Can you double click it there and get it to run?

Have you rebooted?

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but...this morning I noticed an exclamation in my taskbar that services were not running. I looked for services.msc in the search in the start button, but nothing came up. I also typed in MSConfig in the search in the start button search, and again, nothing came up. I also cannot find anything that resembles "administrative tools" anywhere, The exclamation point has since disappeared and in the taskmanager, it appears to be working, but...why am I not seeing these items in my start button? Exactly what does services.msc do? I'm running the 64-bit Windows 7. Any help would be appreciated.
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Both msconfig.exe as well as services.msc are located here C:\Windows\System32.
Administrative Tools are a cluster of tools grouped together and accessible from the Windows Control Panel. Open Control Panel and change the "View by:" drop down from Category to "Small Icons" (All Control Panel Items)
Regards
Randy

Thanks, Randy. I found them both in the Control Panel under Admin tools (I had to change the view by). Services appears now to be running...don't know why I got the warning, or, why msconfig and services are hidden in the START menu. But at least everything appears to be OK now.

Back