Windows 10 Multiple different BSOD

BattlesAtlas

Hi, really hope someone can be my hero here. Have a new build PC, worked fine for a month, then constant BSOD, with all kinds of different error messages, including:
  • IRQL not less or equal
  • Driver overran stack buffer
  • Kernel auto boost lock acquisition with raised irql
  • kernel security check failure
  • dpc watchdog violation
  • driver irql not less or equal - what failed: ACPI.sys
The other notable thing about this: it never happens when playing games, only when I'm doing stuff on the desktop.

So far I've have windows check for driver updates on everything, i've run the windows repair tool, the mobo, cpu and ram have all been checked for hardware issues, and i've run chkdsk and scannow.

Attachments

• W7F_17-10-2019.zip
    990.2 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Looks like the rgbfusion software is causing them. Can you remove it? or see if theres an update for it.

Out of interest are you running any other rgb software?

Interesting that you say that - it had occured to me that the problem emerged around about the same time I installed Fusion. However I uninstalled that software earlier today on that basis, but I'm still having the crashes.

Fusion is also present in the bios as well though, I'll try turning off what it was set to, as it had stored the last setting I had on the desktop app. I'll see if that makes any difference. Is there any other trace it might have left??

I dont have any other rgb stuff

Can we have the full specs for the machine and driver like the nvidia driver are from the nvidia site and not windows update?

Ryzen 3600
Gigabyte b450 Aorus Elite (had shop flash it to work with Ryzen 3)
Corsair 16gb RAM
Intel 660p m2 drive (have 3 other drives as well but all disconnected whilst trying to sort this)
Nvidia GTX1070

Nvidia drivers are downloaded through geforce,experience and are up to date.

System worked fine for few weeks before this started. Some other background to this - when problem originally surfaced about a month ago I tried various stuff including updating the BIOS. I did it through the gigabyte desktop utility, and it seemed to work fine, but then when I restarted the machine wouldnt POST. The debug lights on the board suggested it was stuck on the RAM startup. I sent mobo, RAM and CPU back to shop. They tested and found RAM and CPU fine, but found some track damage on the mobo, which they sent me a picture of (I wasn't aware of this happening during building, but had no proof otherwise, so...). They sent it back to gigabyte to see if they would repair or replace - that mobo is still currently with gigabyte. I figured gigabyte wouldnt cover it, so ordered a replacement board of same type, and got CPU and RAM returned.

Rebuilt machine with that kit, and problem resurfaced pretty quick. So obviously wasn't that track damage they found. In trying other solutions today I used the Windows install tool. I set that to reinstall windows but leave my files - it started then after a restart the machine went into the BIOS, with a message that the BIOS had reset. I restarted, and now my m.2 drive had disappeared. I powered off, unplugged other drives and reseated it. Now it restarted ok, and on the desktop got a message that the update had failed, message was: We couldnt install windows 10 , 0x8007025D - 0x20003 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_UPDATED operation.

So pretty weird shit basically!

And as I said earlier, just for extra weirdness the only time it seems stable in when in a game, whilst playing. It did BSOD whilst on a game's pause screen, but when I'm actually in game (even not doing anything) its been rock solid for hour after hour.

Edit: just crashed whilst playing, so scratch that theory. It's definitely not just random though - played for couple of hours this morning without problem then it crashed within seconds of quitting the game.

Last edited:
Have got the 42c bios now, no joy though. I haven't made any changes to RAM so shouldn't be xmp but will check tomorrow. I'll pull the trigger on a full reinstall of Windows as well, least experience has taught me to keep data on other drives!

Thanks for advice - out of interest, can you tell me how certain you can be that RGBFusion was involved? Assuming this is software and a windows reinstall fixes it, I'd like to know if the damage started there so I don't ever repeat the mistake.

3 of the bsods mentioned it as causing the stack overflow. If you reinstall, once up install the latest chipset drivers from AMD. There are also some Nvidia hotfix drivers that fix some dpc bsods. 436.51.

Update - crashing again during windows reinstall, so its hardware I guess. I can't troubleshoot the remaining components - its probably the m.2 drive - so given it to IT shop to test.

The horror never ends... Got PC back from IT shop. The guy tested the system with a different drive (SSD rather than m.2), different ram, different GPU, different PSU. Same problem. Only components he didn't check were CPU and mobo, and to recap the CPU was tested by the company I bought it from and sent it back to, and the mobo is a different one (same model) from the one the problem originally started on.

I've also checked for XMP and that is disabled. The BIOS has been reset, and upgraded to latest version.

WTF!

The only thing I can think of trying at this point is to get a different CPU and stick it in the build - as its the only thing that hasn't been switched out, its only been tested independently.

Edit: Just as writing this the machine restarts again and now wont recognise the Windows install on the m2 drive. It knows the drive there but is asking for a proper Boot device. This machine is haunted.

Before doing that, go into the bios and set the VDimm (Memory voltage) to 1.35v then find the cpu/nb voltage and set it to 1.100v and see if that helps at all. While you're doing that I shall be on the gigabyte forums to see if others are using a r3000 chip on th board.

Ok, but not sure how. I know its in the M.I.T bit of the bios, and I can see if I enable XMP it boosts Profile DDR Voltage to 1.35V, but can't see a CPU voltage anywhere. In Advanced Voltage Settings I have Dynamic Vcore, Dynamic VCORE SOC, and DRAM Voltage. I can set the latter to 1.1v, the others change by relative amounts (ie up to .300v) but dont show an absolute.

It should do, but I set the volts manually regardless. I shall download your bios manual, lets get you pointed in the right direction for the settings.

after setting the volts, can you boot back to the bios and use it's hardware monitor to see what the voltages are.

Back