Windows 10 My computer is downloading W10 Version 10074?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
That's it, I didn't know it was doing it and it's about to restart.

It's been sitting at 66% for a while, I hope it's going to complete.
I didn't know there was a version, 10074?

10076_zpsk5jv1py5.jpg

OK it moved to 67% looks like it's going to take a while.

Mike

Last edited:
If you have a quick look in the Windows Tech preview section, Mike, There is already a few posts on this release. It was leaked a day before the on line meeting. I decided to wait and installed it, fresh, from the update. (Made my own ISO)
On the Laptop I use for this purpose, initially it gave me huge problems, as it seemed unable to find my network drivers. As a result I could not get much to work 100% on the desktop.
It seems to have settled down now and is working, at least as adequately as the previous version.
Nothing outstandingly new (for me).

Hi

I'm on the slow ring and was expecting a different build to come up.

It just finished installing after 5 hours and 15 minutes.
Each install seems to take more time but it's up and running.

Started at midnight, I went to bed at 1:00, and I came back down at 4:15, it finished at 5:15.

I have a network connection but I see my webcam isn't working so I don't have a mike. So I'll have to reinstall that.

I'm going back to bed now, I came down about an hour ago and it looked like it was almost done but it still took another hour.

In the morning I'll start going through the set up process of getting everything to work.

I do have sound but I see that all the default runs have been changed back to Windows apps again.

I'll have to remove the old files and the other stuff that's blowing up the install size again etc.

Mike

I went from 10049 directly into 10074. I really don't understand this, why skipping in between updates? :confused:

But now it downloads, I am happy :)

It is a tiny little Aspire One, will see how long it takes....

Hi

Yeah, same for me, I was expecting version 50 something.
Everything pretty much seems to be working so far.

It took a little over 5 hours for the complete installation.

My Windows folder is bigger again, back up to 38 gigabytes.
Half of that is the DriverStore folder which is now 18.2 gigabytes or about twice as big as is was.

It looks like every time you upgrade this folder get larger.
I wish I knew of a way to reduce it.

I reduced the total size of my C:\ drive quite a bit by deleting all but the latest Restore Point using Disk Cleanup, I now at least have a little over half of my 100 gigabyte drive free.

It didn't do anything to help the DriverStore problem though.

I did find this app for managing the contents of the DriverStore folder, but I have no idea what it's safe to remove and the program doesn't show the size of the packages.

http://driverstoreexplorer.codeplex.com/

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

My Windows folder is bigger again, back up to 38 gigabytes.
Half of that is the DriverStore folder which is now 18.2 gigabytes or about twice as big as is was.
It didn't do anything to help the DriverStore problem though.

Mike
I used the program, MIke. It worked for me in a basic sense.
I attacked my graphics packages. They showed two versions, the first was 3 years old. I deleted the lot and brought the size down 18Gbs!

Hi

I'll take a look at it, I'll see what I can do.
I see that how you organize them helps.
If I do it by date I can see which are the oldest and by type groups them together.

I have a zillion Nvidia entries...

DriverStore_zpsr6sxbrsb.jpg

I'm guessing I don't need all of these.
But I'm going to make a System Image before I start lopping them off.

I assume that I really only need the latest versions of these?

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

I'll take a look at it, I'll see what I can do.
I see that how you organize them helps.
If I do it by date I can see which are the oldest and by type groups them together.

I have a zillion Nvidia entries...

DriverStore_zpsr6sxbrsb.jpg

I'm guessing I don't need all of these.
But I'm going to make a System Image before I start lopping them off.

I assume that I really only need the latest versions of these?

Mike

Good god you need to run the DDU Mike. This will remove any crap left behind (like the above) by prior driver installations:
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

I went from 10049 directly into 10074. I really don't understand this, why skipping in between updates? :confused:

But now it downloads, I am happy :)

It is a tiny little Aspire One, will see how long it takes....
The upgrade took about 3 hours, using 35 GB, but Windows.old takes 14.8 GB of that, I will remove that later
Windows takes 15.7 GB, DriverStore takes 7.1 GB

Added: after cleaning up the complete installation takes 23.2 GB

Last edited:
Kemical,

That did clean out a lot of junk including my current video driver, but I already had the install for the new one on my desktop.

I never heard of DDU.

Anyway it reduced the size of the DriverStore by about 8.4 Gigabytes, to about half what it was.

The new Windows 10 driver is installed and everything looks good.

Mike

OK, it's making my system image file and everything's good to go.

Last edited:
Hi

I have the Pro version and it didn't require a key.

It clearly said that it was installing the Pro version when I was installing it, in fact if you look at my first post, it shows the version in the image I placed.

It didn't require that I enter a password to log in either.
I expected to have to do it at least the first time.

Mike

Back