Windows 7 Mystery of the missing icons

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
something happened the other day.......
now all files and links related to PDF and WORD do not display the appropriate icon.

I am sure it is a registry entry - anyone know which one(s)?????????

The files and links open properly, they are just missing the pdf or word icon.

thx

Last edited:
It sounds as though, either directly, or indirectly, you've cleared out your (hidden by default) C:\Windows\Installer folder. Adobe Reader and Office used to use the icons that were stored in that folder for their display icons.

Can you first check to see if that folder is still intact? The Adobe folder will be named something like {AC76BA86-1033-F400-7760-000000000005}.

If you've a system Restore point that you can drop back on, that will be your easiest option. If not, I'd suggest using the Repair option for Office that is in the Programs and Features in the Control Panel. I'd also suggest re-installing Adobe (Reader?) by just running the installer over the top of your present install again.

Last edited:
This is my PDF entry:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document.7\DefaultIcon]
@="[COLOR=#ff0000][B]C:\\Windows\\Installer[/B][/COLOR]\\{AC76BA86-1033-F400-7760-000000000005}\\_PDFFile.ico,0"

This is my .DOC entry:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.8\DefaultIcon]
@="[COLOR=#ff0000][B]C:\\Windows\\Installer[/B][/COLOR]\\{90140000-003D-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}\\wordicon.exe,1"

thx elmer

the registry entry is still there but the installer folder is empty.

I don't know exactly what emptied it, but I have been trying to clean things up and maybe it was me or a utility I have used.

I will try copying from my LT and see if that fixes anything.

I don't know exactly what emptied it, but I have been trying to clean things up and maybe it was me or a utility I have used.
Stick to CCleaner. It's one of the most user (read pc!) friendly cleaners about. But as always the standard caveat!! Even with CCleaner be very, very careful with the registry cleaner! It's not infallible.

thx elmer
I am a retired engineer and local computer geek. But I don't claim to know everything, just a lot more than most people.
What I don't know, I rely on people like you to point me. Sometimes I just screw up.
I don't use or recommend my clients use ANY registry cleaners unless the only option is a clean install.
Registry cleaners are like me. Pretty smart but impossible to know everything. They screw up too.

My preference is registry mechanic because it seems to be the smartest. I was going thru the reg errors one by one - ie I only used the scan, but I think I may have hit the wrong button and that may have been responsible for cleaning out the installer folder.

the problem was not in the registry - it was an empty installer folder.
the copy from the LT brought back the WORD icons but I think because acrord32 was installed in a different place I had to uninstall and reinstall it to get them back - which I was going to do anyway to make it consistent with the other systems.

thx for the lead

Back
Top Bottom