Windows 7 Need help making my microphone work. Please!

KineticShampoo

Hi guys, very lovely forums you have here.

I'm having trouble with my Compaq Presario CQ50-215nr laptop. It has a built in mic and it's working at all. Any help?

Here's the information I guess you'll need:

Hardware: Microphone is built in.

I know for a fact my microphone works because when I had Ubuntu four days ago, I could use it 100% so a hardware failure is it. It has to be a driver thing.

I'm crossing my fingers that there's a driver out there for my built in microphone otherwise I'm just going to have to sit it out.

Thanks again for the tremendous help. :)

Edit: LOL! Member for two years and only three posts :p

Last edited:
Here's a screenshot of my device manager. I have sound perfect, I just can't get my built in microphone to work.

tLEff.png

Try this. You'll have to translate. My Spanish skills are pretty meager.

Click on your microphone to highlight it:
Click: Properties
Click the Custom tab if it's there (Of my two microphones only one has it. If it's not there this won't help)
Check: Mic Boost
Click: Apply then Ok

I had to do this to get mine to work.

Try this. You'll have to translate. My Spanish skills are pretty meager.

Click on your microphone to highlight it:
Click: Properties
Click the Custom tab if it's there (Of my two microphones only one has it. If it's not there this won't help)
Check: Mic Boost
Click: Apply then Ok

I had to do this to get mine to work.

Here's the options I can find, I'm guessing I don't have it.

qO1S5.png

Mine has a fifth button named "Custom" between "Listen" and "Level". One of the sites i checked said if there is no custom tab maybe the sound card doesn't support Mic Boost. Maybe an updated driver for your sound is needed.

One of my mics is part of my webcam. That comes in through USB. The other hooks to the mic input on the onboard sound card. That's probably why the webcam mic has no custom tab. It doesn't come in through the sound card.

My wife's laptop has an external mic input. Maybe yours does too. If it does try to borrow a computer mic from someone and see if it will work there. If it does maybe a cheap computer mic is in order. Mine was less than 5$.

Check the Level tab in properties. If there is a slider there try turning it up high.

It's fixed now! I didn't have to do anything really.

This morning a Window Update icon appeared and a new Audio thingamajig appeared. Downloaded, installed, and now it works!

Back