Windows 8 NEED HELP QUICKLY

Bob Selmen

My windows 8 computer stays black when I start it.

I can't see anything, I've been waiting hours and the screen stays black

All I did was hit a lot of buttons at once and then my computer shut off.

Now I restart it and it stays black.

What is wrong here????

PLEASE HELP

Do a system restore. Pick a date when you did NOT have this issue as your Restore Point.
Follow this tutorial : http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/
until you have selected Advanced options..... then click System Restore.
*** if you have never done a system restore before, pleae post back.***

1.jpg

Do you get any sounds at startup? If you do the you've most likely just switched the display off and we can sort that easily. If not we'll have to consider other possibilities.

Do you get any sounds at startup? If you do the you've most likely just switched the display off and we can sort that easily. If not we'll have to consider other possibilities.

i'm thinking this is the problem.

How can this be resolved?

I cant get to the BIOS screen

I have done one but I can't.

The screen remains black.

I can't even get a menu up.

I am afraid to ask fearing that you would say no to all my questions ......
1. Have you created a system repair disk ?
2. Have you created a USB Recovery drive ?
3. Have you done a System Image Backup in an external hard drive ?

I am afraid to ask fearing that you would say no to all my questions ......
1. Have you created a system repair disk ?
2. Have you created a USB Recovery drive ?
3. Have you done a System Image Backup in an external hard drive ?

No.....

I'm pretty sure I just switched the display off..How do i fix

Since Patcooke makes the suggestion, it is only proper to let him answer you.
Please wait a bit for him.

Assuming you have just turned off the display what is the make and model of your pc?

Two possibilities - if you have switched the display to another device - this would use the function key with what looks like two display screens - with your pc switched on try holding down the fn key and pressing the key with the two display screens on it. Try this a few times allowing a few seconds between each attempt. Another (less likely) possibility is that you have turned the screen brightness right down. You should see a function key with what looks like a sun on it together with a plus sign Try holding down the fn key together with the key with the plus sign on it.

Hehehe...Still not working..

I'm throwing this stupid computer out.

Windows is terrible and I will never get it again.

Good call on the 2nd choice...doing so on mine turned it off/on....which is the backlight on my laptop. The key combo on mine is Fn + F5 to turn it on/off.

I'm sorry to have to advise you that in the situation you describe there are three components - the hardware (hp pavilion), the operating system (Windows) and the user. Of the three possible causes of your problem my money is on the third. lol. seriously though - a friend of mine had her cat walk over the keyboard and it caused a similar problem. You "simply" have to try and find by trial and error what key combination has caused your problem. Do you have an external monitor which you can plug into the external monitor socket to see if the display appears on there?

Back