Windows 7 Need Help - suspect USB modem causing BSODS

Wasson

I require assistance with a recurring, yet strangely sporadic and random BSOD problem. Seems to only happen when just browsing the web, as there have been instances where I have played online games such as World of Tanks with it for hours at a time with teamspeak running as well and had 0 problems.

In particularly- it seems to always seems to happen just after a "button" or link is clicked I guess boils down to a command being executed from the mouse. BUT there was once in particular when the system BSOD'ed while dealing with the finnicky "VZAccess Manager" program that verizon uses to big-brother your internet usage.

I'm using a Novatel usb 3G/4G modem the 551 model, from what I can tell from looking at their sites and comparing to the one I have looking to see if they have drivers for it to download... I got it from Verizon Wireless. My computer sits more insular in the house, I have the modem placed relatively far away near a window where it gets great reception. it is connected to a USB cable in-lime amplifier as to extend past 15 feet. This is the cable plugged into the USB port, are these known to cause problems?

I have the minidump file attached.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 111811-14632-01.rar
    32.3 KB · Views: 168
More BSODS...one seemed to happened after I woke it from sleep mode but I had walked away and did something else.

Help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• minidumps.rar
    69.7 KB · Views: 183
Hi Wasson and Welcome to The Forum

Sometimes posts slip through a time warp black hole. Yours appears to have been one of those....... :(

You're getting a Stop Error Code 116
(Link) "It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception.

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash. As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds. If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating. Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU. Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference. If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling." - H2SO4

nVidia Graphics Drivers.

• Download and install Driver Sweeper.
  • Uninstall your current Graphics setup through Programs and Features
  • Boot to and run (preferably) Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode to clean up the remnants of your current Graphics set up.
  • Reboot to Normal Mode.
  • Install your new Graphics set up.

Thanks dude. I removed the offending drivers and installed a different driver for my GPU and the BSODs have ceased. Just wanted to say thanks before I forgot*

:)

Back