Windows 7 Need help with font installation

courtneyv

I have Windows 7, 32-bit.

I'm not even sure how to ask this, because I'm not sure what I did or clicked, but I desperately need help. I had a bunch of zipped font folders on my computer the other day and was installing them without issue, but I clicked something, and they all instantly turned to PDFs. I deleted them all. But now, when I download fonts, my PC no longer recognizes the folders as zipped files containing fonts for me to extract. It gives me the option of opening it with Acrobat or Irfanview or it tells me to choose a default program. I lost my computer in a tornado storm and got a new one and need to have certain fonts installed for a book I'm working on. I'm not sure how to get my PC to see them right, first as zipped folders, and then, fonts. Can anyone help me???

Right click on one of the folders, select open with, browse for program, check the box to always use this program and navigate to winzip. Click ok. Winzip will now be associated with your zip files.

First let's deal with the compressed file issue.
Since I don't know what your using as your default extractor, I'll kinda start from scratch.
I like a small, very robust compression utility called 7-Zip it works very well and adds itself to the right click context menu and provides nice options there. So consider downloading and installing it. Then....
Open 7zip and from the menu, choose tools and then options. From the system tab, you can choose any number of compressed file format file extensions to associate with the extractor.
See if that helps with your issue
There are several other ways to deal with this issue including fixing your default programs file extensions associations, so we can go through that if you want, but I just thought this might be simpler and easier, plus you'll have a nice file compression utility when you're done.
Keep us posted and welcome to the forums.
Regards
Randy

Right click on one of the folders, select open with, browse for program, check the box to always use this program and navigate to winzip. Click ok. Winzip will now be associated with your zip files.
Sorry, Pat....didn't see your post when I replied.

I couldn't locate the winzip, so i just downloaded 7Zip. That worked. And the font went in no problem. Thanks so much!!!!

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem and thanks for posting back with your results.
Welcome to the forums and thanks for joining our community, hope to continue to see you around.
Regards
Randy

Back