Windows 10 Hi, need help with Dos?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I'm still trying to get rid of the Avast folders on my wife's laptop.
I decided to try and remove it using the command prompt, or the Power Shell in this case.

What I want to delete is the folder at C:\Windows\Program Files\AVAST Software "Avast Software" is the folder I want to delete.

When I open the Power Shell it starts me at C:\Windows\System32>

I can't even get to C:\ when I try I get an error message that this is not a recognized command.

I'd like to ask that someone who can still remember how to do this to show me exactly line by line what to type to get from where it starts to the command to delete...

C:\Windows\Program File\AVAST Software

I can't believe how little of this I remember anymore, but I guess being 81 is part of the problem. LOL

Mike

I just found the command prompt which looks more familiar to me but whichever is a better option is fine.

I made progress!

I'm now at the C:\program files and I have a directory showing the folder is there.

But when I type Delete\Avast Software says that it can't find the path specified?

I'm now testing this on my computer, I'm trying to delete a folder "New Folder" I created in my Program Files directory.

I tried from the command prompt...

C:\Program Files>rmdir /s "C:\program files\new folder"
C:\program files\new folder, Are you sure (Y/N)? y
Access is denied.

C:\Program Files>

Then I tried from the admin power shell.

So that's where I'm at, you can't say I didn't try. LOL

Last edited:
As Rapaaj suggested use their removal tool. If that still doesn't work I can help you develop a script to remove components.

Hi Neemo

What would be the correct commands to delete a folder from the command prompt, it should work but I just don't remember anymore, I thought you could just type delete and the file address from the command prompt. It's been a long time.

I have used the removal tool I've done everything but a clean install but nothing will remove the install files from her computer.

I've used software that is supposed to remove any file or folder, nothing works not in Administrator account or out. There has to be a way to get rid of this, it's worse then any virus I've ever seen.

Avast isn't installed at the present time but I want to remove the install files that it keeps reinstalling from and kill it forever!

C:\Program Fies\Avast Software

I hate stuff like this that hijacks your computer.

I did read that it can be removed from the command prompt but the same command that works there won't work from the Power Shell as admin. In the Command Prompt it denied me access to delete an empty folder that I had just created. I guess I could try using the command prompt from the administrator account, have not tried that yet.

My Dos days were over 20 years ago.

I'm glad I buy my computers from someone who doesn't put on anything but Windows.

Last edited:
HI The idea of removing Avast from your computer may be difficult when you might have been using it so it will bump into when you have had to use the recovery that wy select nevy download? Download Windows 10 / then clean restore poinst off . And load nevy recovery points.

Last edited:
Wen clean that off memmer restores clean . Look at the disc C drive in front of you to see Avast. if it is removed. Look at the drive that Avast is not there. if it is removed. Restart the machine then make those checks again if there are any gaps in the delete.

Last edited:
Thanks, Neemo, I'll give that a try.

This is to remove my test folder...

Remove-item -Path 'C:\Program Files\zorba42' -Recurse -Force

That worked on my computer, I'll go try on my wife's now.

The command on her computer is...

Remove-item -Path 'C:\Program Files\Avast Software' -Recurse -Force

That didn't work on Mary's computer, I got a message about 300 lines long in red that basically said "Access Denied".

I guess that Dell has somehow protected the data that they placed on the computer so that it's virtually impossible for someone to remove.
Well, I'll cross my fingers and hope it doesn't reinstall itself again this time.

I don't want to format the drive at this point, if it comes back again I may try a clean install and wipe all the Dell stuff off of it.

Mike

Last edited:
Everything under C:\Program Files\ should be write protected so that "normal" users can't add/delete/modify files there.
Maybe if you run Powershell as Administrator, the Remove-item command will work?

Hi

I did run Powershell as Admin.
I guess the only other thing I could try is to boot into another OS like Ubuntu.

All this stuff works on my computer but on her Dell, everything is blocked.

It won't boot to a DVD either, so that's the next thing I'll have to look at.

Mike

If it won't remove with "Run As Admin" then some or all of the files are most likely in use.

Yes, I think I'm going to have to log in with another OS if I'm going to get rid of them.
I'll have to change the boot order I guess because it won't boot to my Ubuntu DVD.

Another thing that's weird must computer I've had will boot to a disk when you get them.

Back
Top Bottom