Windows 7 Need help with restoring Acronis Clone to new Laptop HDD

CoolDudeClan

I made of a clone 6 months or so ago of my sisters laptop HDD because it was going it for service and I knew they would be wiping it.

We got the laptop back and it has a new HDD that is a clean install and I need to clone the backup that is on an external drive back to the new one.

The laptop HDD has warranty void seals on the HDD cover so I will not be able to use an enclosure and clone it on a different computer so I need to somehow restore from the backup with the external drive plugged into the new laptop.

How do I do this? I can't figure it out.

Seems simple enough.
Either install Acronis onto the laptop (free trial should work) or plug in the external drive boot from the Acronis rescue media CD and browse to the .tib file you created as a backup.
If it truly is a "clone" rather than a backup (you seem to use both terms) then the same principle should work. I usually use the Acronis Rescue Media CD for these types of things and keep it away from the Operating System.
You may want to create a system image of the repaired laptop before moving forward just in case of any unexpected problems with the recovery.

You will need a dock to access the cloned OS from the other drive. If you clone this external drive, it will wipe out the content of the laptop hd. That is the big difference between restoring a cloned hd and restoring from image. Or at least that is my understanding. I am not sure which one you really meant to do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WindowsForum mobile app

Thank you everyone, it was as simple as reinstalling the software on the new laptop and it had a restore option. Way easier than I thought it was going to be.

Sorry Trouble, It was truly a clone, my bad for using both terminologies. When I said backup I meant clone.

Glad to hear you've got it sorted. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with your solution.
Just as a follow up you should run a quick defrag on the system and follow that up with a full Check Disk. From an elevated command prompt type
chkdsk C: /R
and hit enter
answer yes when prompted to run after next system boot.
type exit and restart your system
let it run all five stages. You can check the detailed results in Event Viewer later.
I found that often some things can get scrambled a bit and a full Check Disk will usually sort them out. You may see things like issues with the Volume Bitmap, or free space mis-identified.

Back
Top Bottom