Windows 7 Need help with Windows 7 installation

Windows7en

Hi

I have been struguling with my PC for 4 days now. I have tryed almost every kinda of installation. I started using a Disk with Windows 7 on and at my current attempt i am trying to install it from an usb stick. My installation have been stuck on 'Completing installation' for 6 hours now. The dots are still moving. I did do a clean install i reformated the disk and deleted the prior partiton from the other installs.

How long do i have to wait for it to pass this step? (it has restarted once.)

Windows 7 normally installs very quickly. The fact it is hanging might mean a driver problem, or it can't get some part of the install completed. It has done the same thing with all the install attempts?

What was on the drive before? Have you tried disconnecting any devices you can?

i have unplugged my 1tb harddisk so only my 640gb harddisk is left for the install. And i did a full clean on both the disk both reformat and deleted and create a new partition :)

Sounds like your medis sorce is corrupted. Try download an ISO and burning it and then install from that, using your product key.

Link Removed - Not Found

What was the burn time....the X4, x8, x16...When burning, especially an ISO make sure that it's set to burn at it's lowest rate. The ISO can get corrupted, something happens and it doesn't take much to get corrupted....It happened to me when making an ISO of Windows 8 PR...I had to burn it a second time at the 4x rate and the install went flawlessly. It does happen. Good luck.

IF, you decide to break off the install. Prior to rebooting, remove the flash drive. It is not needed after the first reboot.

If the system will not reboot, use the Install media to go into the Repair scenario and try doing a Startup Repair. Maybe it will fix something. Or try booting into Safe Mode using the F8 key to check the drivers or allow something to install that might be having a problem.

If you decide to do a complete new install, you might try cleaning the drive first. When you get to the second page, after you pick a language, you can use Shift+F10 to open a command prompt. From there you can use Diskpart to completely clean the drive. But if you are using an Upgrade version of the Install software, it might cause a problem later with activation.

From the same command window mentioned above, you might check the link below to see if you can recover some of the logs mentioned. Scanning those might give you a clue, and you would normally look near the bottom for any error messages, or a place where the time seems to keep going with nothing happening. The setupapi.log, I believe, is the most useful.

Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Vista setup log file locations

If i try to go into safe mode everytime it's the CLASSPNP.SYS error and i reformated the drives everytime i had to start over
+ was using an usb stick

Reformatting a drive is not the same thing as cleaning, but it doesn't look like that is the problem.

Are there any devices listed in the bios you can disable, like BlueTooth or some other motherboard device?

Do you have a printer plugged in that might have memory card slots? Maybe even disconnect the network.

just copied the files from the iso over to the disk

I think, that may be your problem.

Change your "first boot device" in the BIOS to boot from the USB drive, then boot from the USB and see how that goes.
If your motherboard does not support booting from a USB device, then you will have to use a DVD disc.

Keep us posted

Don

I tryed over and let it be for the night +10 hours when i got up i had passed the completing installation so i think it was slow.. :p
+ i have an ASUS P6X58D Premium, and i had to reset the CMOS and stuff but it's almost done :p

The last time I had a startup repair take a really long time was when the system partition, or the partition with the boot files, was not marked as active.

When you get to a point you can stop, we need to look at the drive using Diskpart, or you can download the home version of Partition Wizard and boot to and check the drive that way.

Where are you seeing the Classpnp.sys error. It is normally the last thing shown during a boot if you are watching the loading.

Were you able to find any of the install logs mentioned?

There is always a chance a problem has developed with your system. But right now you don't seem to be getting any place. Perhaps some different steps might be suggested.

Your system has never installed all the way. Maybe some compatibility issues with Windows 7, perhaps a drive problem, or maybe a motherboard or other system based problem. I say this because you feel your media is fine.

As far as I can tell, you have not yet "cleaned" your hard drive. Any chance of getting a new one to test?

Do you have another computer you could use one of your drives and install Windows 7 on a temporary basis for testing?

Can you boot to the Flash drive and use the Repair option of the Install media? We can try some commands from there.

Hey when the error shows is when i try to go into safe mode it stops at CLASSPNP.SYS. As i said i did a clean install over night, and i got to the login in screen (i told me it needed a password and i had not chosen a password) i let i be for 10 min looking for a fix and i restarted. Tryed to go into safe mode stopped at Classpnp.sys again (did the install with only mouse, keyboard and 1 moniter no internet cabel.) Where do i find the install logs? :). I have talked with the guy that built my PC and he said he had no problems with the install 2 years ago, for about 8 or 9 months ago i had to reinstall windows 7 and i had the same problems as now. But then a day i turned on the pc and it just worked. And i did a full format and deleted the old partions on the hard disk. I do have a laptop but i have no experience with connecting the harddrive to another. I have done all the commands possible (sfc /scannow /bootdir etc. and commands that repair boot service etc. so i do not know what to do now

As i said i did a clean install over night, and i got to the login in screen (i told me it needed a password and i had not chosen a password) i let i be for 10 min looking for a fix and i restarted.
I just reinstalled to remind myself of the install sequence. During the original install, it asks for you to enter a password, but you do not have to. It then shows "Preparing Desktop" and then opens to the desktop. Have you already gone through this part and were able to get into Windows? If you have and it is rebooting and asking for a password, either leave it blank, or think of one you might have used before? Was OEM software used before? Did the person that originally built the unit use a password?

And i did a full format and deleted the old partions on the hard disk. I do have a laptop but i have no experience with connecting the harddrive to another.
Do you remember what partitions you deleted? If it was an OEM install, maybe you need to reinstall that part, but just guessing since I have not used an OEM version of the software.

But you should still be able to install the downloaded software at least for testing. You are using the License from the original software? Have you tried leaving the license key blank and unchecking the "Active when online" box?

I was just playing with re-imaging my system from a NAS. The re-image seemed to complete, but when the reboot occured, I ended up with a choice of booting to Windows normally, which did not work, or Safe Mode which did not work, or command prompt, which did not work. I did not get a PNPclass type error message, but that was the last driver to be loaded prior to a subsequent blue screen.

I put in another drive to re-image and the system worked and booting fine, so I reinstalled the first drive and started running some WinRE commands to see if they would work.

An offline System File Check stated it could not complete the assigned operation.

A Chkdsk /r took 5 hours to repair 3 files which were included in the first 1500 of 134,000. I decided not to wait for it to finish.

The bottom line is something corrupted my re-image. The image is good, so it was possibly something related to the network or some other problem with the data transfer.

Eventually, after cleaning (using diskpart) the offending hard drive and trying again, the re-image worked.

All I can suggest is you try cleaning the hard drive, or getting a new one.

Back