Net Framework 4.5

kkay

Did they fix all of the vulnerabilities on this? I know if you download it, you will have to install security updates for it. I am hesitant to update to that, if they are having problems. I believe I have version 4. I did not see it on Add or Remove Programs though. I saw none listed.

Josephur

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Do you even need the framework? If you're not using any apps that require .NET Framework 4.5 to be installed then you can safely just not install it.

kkay

I have a My Passport external hard drive. I have not been able to successfully back up using their software. Their tech support said I need Net Framework for it to work properly. I thought I would get the most up to date kind. He said I must have version 4.
If I go to search bar and type in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET it pulls up that folder. Then double click Framework64, it shows v4 there. But as I said, I don't see that on Add or Remove Programs. The hard drive software shows it is backing up, but it is not. I made a test document in My Documents, just to see. I ran their software, and it did not backup at all. (it says it is backed up, but it does nothing) For a while I thought this was working, but after I clicked on the folder for documents, it was not all there. I finally had to right click, and send to the My Passport drive.

davidhk129

I believe I have version 4. I did not see it on Add or Remove Programs though. I saw none listed.
Open Windows Update > View Update History.

kkay

I already thought of that. It shows no updates in the updates history. Then you look at updates installed, and it has quite a few listed. None say Net Framework. I read somewhere that net framework was in Win8 or 8.1....as there is a folder for that. I guess when I deleted old windows stuff for Win8, it removed update history. (through a disk clean administrator process) But the updates show installed.

davidhk129

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx
excerpt:
If you are using the Windows operating system, the .NET Framework may already be installed on your computer. Specifically, the .NET Framework 4.5 is included with Windows 8 and installed on your computer with the Windows 8 operating system. Similarly, the .NET Framework 4.5.1 is included with Windows 8.1.

kkay

If I go to Windows Features, turn on or off...you see two listed. It shows net framework 3.5 and below, then it shows 4.5...they were both enabled, although I didn't do it, it must be the default. It did not list .net framework 4 though. The first one showed the ones below 3.5 in parenthesis. The bullet on v4.5 did not show v4 in parenthesis. I do not know if it shows up in Windows Features, that is is there, or it is just enabled if I get it. This is confusing to me.

kkay

Thank you. I looked at that. They did not have the same Windows Features selections that I did. Well, the net framework issue must not be the problem, with the WD Smartware backups then. Thanks for all the help here. This forum is AWESOME.

You are welcome.
Sorry I cannot solve your original issue.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.