NETBOOK INSTALL PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by imcaius, Oct 19, 2011.

1. imcaius

imcaius New Member

Alright, so, I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Edge S11 (I think, it's a modified one I got from school)
    It's got a Celeron processor, 2GB of RAM, a 160GB WD HDD, and the integrated Intel graphics.
    Anyway, I've gotten admin rights on it, and I got an extra 2GB of RAM, and now I want to install 64-bit Windows 7 to support that full amount of ram. (They have 32-bit enterprise).

The problem is, the BIOS is locked. With a password.
    And they've got everything but the SATA port for the main HDD blocked.
    So, I took out the HDD and put it into my desktop, I was unsure if it'd work, turns out it didn't.
    So, I installed Windows 7 to the HDD using my desktop, and (I'm assuming it's because it installed the drivers and stuff for my AMD Phenom II computer.) it didn't work when I put it back in my netbook.

It just had a flashing underscore, and it won't boot.
    So, how else can I install 64bit Windows?

Thanks for your help [​IMG]

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

If it's not your machine then maybe the bios password has been set to protect the owner (your school?). If it is your property then you might try one or more of the well known "backdoor bios passwords" listed here:

UKT Support - How to Bypass BIOS Passwords

3. imcaius

imcaius New Member

Well, it's the schools property until I leave school, then I can keep it.
    And, the TSO's honestly don't care if I hack it, but they said they won't be involved (to protect themselves, and their jobs, etc.)
    I just.. It's not so much that I need to find out the BIOS password, I just need to know how to make 64-bit Windows 7 work without installing it on the actual computer. (or another way that might work)

4. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Ok - so try one of the backdoor passwords - completely legal and everybody uses them in this sort of circumstance - it should enable you to make the changes you need.

5. imcaius

imcaius New Member

Hm, can't find anything for Lenovo..
    Any other ideas?
    Another way to install (maybe install from another computer)?