Windows 7 Network adapter repeatedly disconnecting.

Ringo

I'm having a problem with staying connected to my network with my Windows 7 PC. I have several other machines running XP and a laptop with Vista none of which are experiancing the problem.

Basically what happens is the network adapter drops the connection whenever there's a high amount of throughput. Streaming media, transfering files, gaming, download all do it. Browsing is totally stable but as soon as I try to download a few things or move some stuff around the network it disconnects.

It's a Linksys AG241v2 with the Pheonix Firmware and an Asus Crosshair in the PC. I've tried sifting through the forums but none of the solutions have worked so far. Anyone got any ideas?

Wrong controller installed. install the proper controller/driver. If you were in the bios...? check adapter settings/PCI/Intergrated

That's quite a cryptic reply there, but no it's not the wrong controller and yes the correct drivers are installed. And check what in the bios, that it's turned on? I don't understand what you are suggesting.

Ringo,

Could you give us more information about your system.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and modem number of your PC, if applicable
4 .Download (System Info) 2009.5.12
5 .Download http://majorgeeks.com/SIV_System_Information_Viewer_d4779.html]System Information Viewer) 3.36[/URL]
6 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

Also, did this occur immediately after installing?

Are you using the official RC from MS?

Is it 32-bit or 64-bit OS?

1 - Name [00000007] NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3
Product Type NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0373&SUBSYS_82231043&REV_A2\3&2411E6FE&1&80
Last Reset 06/06/2009 13:12
Index 7
Service Name NVENETFD
IP Address 192.168.1.64, fe80::d5bc:e29a:28fd:a8f
IP Subnet 255.255.255.0, 64
Default IP Gateway 192.168.1.1
DHCP Enabled Yes
DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
DHCP Lease Expires 06/06/2009 14:03
DHCP Lease Obtained 06/06/2009 13:13
MAC Address 00:15:F2:F4:9C:FE
Memory Address 0xFE02A000-0xFE02AFFF
Memory Address 0xFE029000-0xFE0290FF
Memory Address 0xFE028000-0xFE02800F
IRQ Channel IRQ 21
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvm62x64.sys (1.0.1.210, 399.38 KB (408,960 bytes), 29/04/2009 21:52)

2 - No yellow flags (besides Audio Controller but that's a different story).

3 - I'm the manufacturer

I just did a clean install with 7200 (I was using 7100). So I'll see if that fixes things before I start trying stuff again. As far as I'm aware the problem was there from the start. It started doing it the first time I started downloading at a reasonably high speed (800ish Kbps) but by that point I had been using W7 for a few days, but as I have said, I only get connection problems with high bandwidth usage so I do not know if there was no problem at the start or if I just hadn't noticed it.

I've also noticed that it seems to happen a lot more, although not exclusively, when doing certain things. The prime culprit seems to be using Usenet and playing an online game at the same time, it drops off every few minutes if I try that. Next would be file transfers + gaming probably about 15 minutes between DCs. Also downloading from anywhere else + browseing occasionaly kills it. While Usenet + games kills it pretty quick I don't think it's specifically to do with that as I have had the same problem while doing niether.

Last two answers would be, I was, now I'm not and 64 bit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

If you go to this page

Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

You can begin a search by filling in the first field with nForce, then you'll need to know what product series it is to continue.

I was still typing :p

I'm deliberatly not installing the Nvidia drivers untill I see it disconnect without them. I'm fairly certain it didn't start disconnecting untill after I had installed those drivers and I also saw a couple of threads where people were having similair problems and solved them by rolling back the drivers.

Oh and like I said above, it's an Asus Crosshair. 590i Sli AMD chipset.

Are you overclocking the CPU?

Nope, everything is stock, updated the bios to 1207 and reset to defaults. In fact at the moment besides installing the nvidia GPU drivers the install is untouched.

Actually I have a suspicion that the CPU is running a bit hot (I was too lasy to put proper thermal goop on it so I'm just using the pad at the moment which are always a bit useless) but as I can't get any of the Asus hardware monitoring stuff to work it's a bit hard to tell. Checking it in the bios after I've restarted doesn't really tell me much.

On a bit of a side note. Oddly my Windows performance index thing has gone up by a few tenths across the board with 7200 (excluding HDD which is still stuck at 5.9 dragging my average down). Did they change the way it worked things out or does it really think my hardware is faster than it was?

Last edited:
Did you try Nvidia's site like I suggested?

Did you locate the nForce Networking Controller

Did you try Nvidia's site like I suggested?

Did you locate the nForce Networking Controller

Well like I said, I installed all the drivers from the nvidia site with my last install and it constantly DCed, so I'm waiting to see if it DCs without them before I try them again.

Hmm OK, doesn't look like that's an option. My downloads cap out about 200kbps and the speed goes up and down all over the place. No DCs yet though, going to leave it a while before I install the drivers just to make sure that the problem definatly isn't there.

Go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and run a test.

Compare it to the plan you're getting and see if it's correct.

I'm with Roadrunner and even with the 15MBs, I get very inconsistent download speeds, anywhere from dial-up modem speed to 3MB down.

Dude...I'm not a complete novice here. I mean thanks for your help and everything but I'm a bit passed "Update your drivers" and I know how to test my download speed.

Obviously I'm not a networking professional but if you could refrain from "have you checked it is plugged in?" type IT solutions. :p

Last edited:
Well I installed the nvidia drivers. Good news is that it's not crashing the network adapter bad news is that I've still got this choppy slow connection.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I usually get about 12 MB out of my connection, at the moment I'm averaging about 1MB. Annoyingly I can't tell wether the crashing problem is fixed or if this new problem is just making it impossible to recreate the old one.

Back
Top Bottom