Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center show multiple connections but can't connect.

Bergizzle

Hi

I have a huge problem with my win 7 network. The initial problem started when I had to connect to the internet via USB (HTC Hero internet sharing) when I first did this, I had to install drivers from vista x64. But I eventually got it working. Or at least I thought.

Next time I booted up windows, it could still find the network, but not access the internet. So I eventualy uninstalled the HTC Hero NDIS driver from "Device manager" and installed it again. Once again I found myself online. But this time only for 5 hours, and this time the network was called "Network 2" in the Network and Sharing Center

I was quickly on my "network 4"
Eventually I got my DSL internet to work (on wireless), so I didn't need the USB network anymore. But with this new network I couldn't connect via the cable eighter since the "Network Sharing Center" show 2 networks when I'm on cable, both the network 4 (with internet access) and another network which cannot connect to the internet. I think this is where the problem lies, this extra connection is messing with the internet line.

So my question is this: How do I start over, so the next time I add a network it will be called network 1. And I don't mean rename the connection. But how to uninstall all previous networks so I can start over?

Regards Anders Berg

You can list your adapters with this command (I couldn't find the graphical way to do it)

control netconnections

There, you have the usual network connections list, where you can rename, delete or merge your adpaters.

Concerning your issue, I doubt this is due to these unknown networks unless your routing is wrong (i.e. traffic is routed to these dead-ends). It is also ok to see additional connections under the network center, it simply lists the active interfaces; these can be real (wifi, ethernet) or virtual (VMWare adapters, TAP, etc.) But again you can remove the unknown adapters by hand, just make sure you do not remove the useful ones.

Cheers.

So my question is this: How do I start over, so the next time I add a network it will be called network 1. And I don't mean rename the connection. But how to uninstall all previous networks so I can start over?

I'm not exactly sure, why folks seem to assign so much importance to the network name (connection name / adapter name), but it seems to be important so as far as I know the easiest and most reliable way to "start over" is to simply open device manager, expand network adapters, select the problem adapters and choose to uninstall and reboot, if prompted, I would not suggest including the drivers in the uninstall procedure unless, of course you suspect driver problems. Personally, I always choose to name them something intuitive often using the actual static IP address that I assign as the name. Also to alleviate, some problems, issues and confusion, I would suggest that you disable any adapter(s) that you are not using. Then run the network connection wizard from the Network and sharing center and let us know how you're doing.

Totally agreed, though I did experience some weird behaviours on my Vista. When using a USB wireless dongle, my laptop kept on re-installing it (thus creating a wireless adapter entry #xyz) each time I plugged that USB... but that wasn't really disturbing after all.

Okay, thx dudes. I'll try reinstalling the network adaptor.
I've already disabled the LAN adaptor, because if I don't no internet can be found on the wireless eighter. The second I disable it, internet is back up

"Trouble": I'm not excatly concerned about the name. Just the fact that it's the only way to know if I'm on a fresh start.

"sogoodtobe": I'm positive that what you are talking about, with the dead-end routing, is the real problem :)

Well, this is wierd.. When I plugged the cable in the router it worked without me reinstalling anything. So I guess time solved my problem. :p Just to be sure I also uninstalled the network driver from device manager..

But hey, thanks again guys, it's nice to get a response from someone out there. Something you don't get so often these days.. Have a great day

Regards Anders

Hi

I have a huge problem with my win 7 network. The initial problem started when I had to connect to the internet via USB (HTC Hero internet sharing) when I first did this, I had to install drivers from vista x64. But I eventually got it working. Or at least I thought.

Next time I booted up windows, it could still find the network, but not access the internet. So I eventualy uninstalled the HTC Hero NDIS driver from "Device manager" and installed it again. Once again I found myself online. But this time only for 5 hours, and this time the network was called "Network 2" in the Network and Sharing Center

I was quickly on my "network 4"
Eventually I got my DSL internet to work (on wireless), so I didn't need the USB network anymore. But with this new network I couldn't connect via the cable eighter since the "Network Sharing Center" show 2 networks when I'm on cable, both the network 4 (with internet access) and another network which cannot connect to the internet. I think this is where the problem lies, this extra connection is messing with the internet line.

Regards Anders Berg

You can rename your networks:

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Click on your network and type in a different name.

~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure if this is your case exactly, but some applications can have their services start and configure network prior to windows services, as in case with Adobe > Bonjour service. If you know what they are, it can be worth setting such services to Automatic (Delayed Start).

I once set up a local network and later several times I noticed it change to network 2, 3, 4, 5 for some odd reason. No malware was detected, it was the same network automatically renamed a few times. When it stopped changing names, I simply clicked on it and renamed it. So far so good.

~~~~~~~~

So if this is the same network, then you may want to rename it. If it keeps changing names, then it must be a 3rd party software service doing it. If you have networks that you didn't create, then it can also be due to a software setting up those networks.

A scan for viruses and malware is a good thing to do, just in case.

Back