Windows 7 Network controller problem plus access to files denied-Windows 7

javapoppa

In lower rh corner the internet connection icon has been replaced by small square with red 'x' in it and a plug that looks like the power icon, placing the arrow on it brings up a box saying 'not connected-connections are available'. Clicking on the icon brings up the connection screen that says on the top 'not connected' but in the lower part of the box it shows three connections available with the top one listed shown connected. I am able to open my browser and connect to the internet and download my mail as well though some of the email messages won't open.
In addition, after clicking on the Start button I am unable to open any of the files listed-Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.; I get a diagnostic that says: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this file. I can get back door access to some of these files by opening a program such as Windows Media Player and then clicking on Go to the Library which gets me access to my Pictures and Music, or by opening MS Word and then going to File/Open which lets me see my documents.
I have run two Dell diagnostic programs, an AVG virus scan, an AVG PC scan and repair program, rebooted Win7 using a disk, and have run chkdsk as an administrator but nothing seems to help. Anyone have any ideas?

Have you another laptop / notebook / tablet? If that connects without problems we know at least that the your wifi functions correctly.

Have you another laptop / notebook / tablet? If that connects without problems we know at least that the your wifi functions correctly.
As stated I am connected now but Windows doesn't seem to know it. I also connect with an android phone, an ipad, and a PC laptop.

Download this script and run it on the problematic device and upload the log on the desktop here
https://windowsforum.com/threads/network-diagnostic-information.223812/

Unzipped and ran the .bat file, something flashed briefly on my screen and disappeared. Did a search for the network txt file mentioned but then got the diagnostic error message noted in my post: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. Etc. Couldn't find the txt file in my documents or downloads files. Where would it be stored?

As far as the diagnostics are concerned you are connected and it is working. You should be able to get on the internet. If it truly isn't working you can try removing the NIC in device manager and reboot. It should re-install and see if that resolves the issue.

Will give it a try. As stated in my original post, I am connected to the internet but have error indications in the tool bar that show a problem. Any thoughts in re my file access problem?

Did any of the files move? Those links are basically shortcuts that point to hardcoded locations so if the files they point to moved then you would get an similar error.

You can download and run procmon and then try to access the files. Then stop procmon from capturing and see what it's doing.

I downloaded and ran procman and attempted to follow your cryptic instructions. A few questions: How do I find the operations I am interested in given the mass of info generated. Also I tried to access all of the files that appear after clicking on the Start button and than stopped procman from capturing but don't see any change. Shouldn't I stop the capture before acessing the files?

Have you tried using a cable connection only, by disabling / switching off the wireless connection and please reboot?
Do you still see the error indication?

Another way to reset is removing the adapters in the network center, followed by a reboot. Windows will add them again with new and fresh para meters

Have you tried using a cable connection only, by disabling / switching off the wireless connection and please reboot?
Do you still see the error indication?

Another way to reset is removing the adapters in the network center, followed by a reboot. Windows will add them again with new and fresh para meters

I don't have a problem connecting but with the indications on my toolbar. Somehow the toolbar has been altered and corrupted. My bigger concern is the inability to open files and certain emails.

So the network icon on the toolbar does not show any longer a red X?
And the network center does not tell you anymore Not connected, connections available?
And if both items above are not OK, have you tried my suggestions? They should be resolved before going further.

There is no network icon on the taskbar, the icon shown with the red cross is the power plug-in icon but when you click on it the Wireless Connection box pops up. I feel that the taskbar corruption and my inability to access files and certain emails are all of a piece and something has altered my registry or some other portion of the control and command structure of Windows 7.

I am not sure what you mean with the power plug-in icon. But if you click on it and keeps saying 'not connected-connections are available' you have to solve that first.
Removing the network adapters in the device control window, followed by a reboot and windows will add them again, this will reset the network parameters and may solve this problem.

There is an icon on the taskbar that shows when you are connected to external power; on my machine that icon has a red x in it and now serves the same function as the network icon, clicking on it opens the network connection screen. My network adapters show that they are working properly and have no conflicts and I am connected to the internet. The indications on the taskbar do not match with reality. As stated above this is all of a piece with my inability to open files and certain emails.

There is an icon on the taskbar that shows when you are connected to external power; on my machine that icon has a red x in it and now serves the same function as the network icon, clicking on it opens the network connection screen.
Never seen this before, I am out of options, sorry.
Neemobeer?

Back