Windows 7 network printer connection

Marito

I have a canon printer (couple years old) and a Brothers printers connected to a computer with Vista 32bit. I just purchased a laptop that has windows 7 64bit. I can connect via wireless network to my Vista computer just fine.
I was able to connect to and install the brother printer but when I try to install the canon printer I get a message something like this " cant find INI file, will look in windows update" after a while it comes back and says It can find INI file.
Probably it is because my Vista is 32 bit and my laptop WIndows 7 64bit. But I did not have this problem with my brother printer....
Help.... How do I install the canon printer?

Marito;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
It's possible that your Win7 64bit install has native drivers available for the Brother printer but not for the Canon. Your best bet is to take a look on Canon's website (support and drivers) and see if they have Windows 7 64bit drivers available for your specific Model name and number.
Regards
Randy

I have a canon printer (couple years old) and a Brothers printers connected to a computer with Vista 32bit. I just purchased a laptop that has windows 7 64bit. I can connect via wireless network to my Vista computer just fine.
I was able to connect to and install the brother printer but when I try to install the canon printer I get a message something like this " cant find INI file, will look in windows update" after a while it comes back and says It can find INI file.
Probably it is because my Vista is 32 bit and my laptop WIndows 7 64bit. But I did not have this problem with my brother printer....
Help.... How do I install the canon printer?

Thanks for your replay. Yes canon site has a driver for Windows 7 64, but my printer is connected to my vista 32 computer. Do I download the driver and install it in my Laptop windows 7 64??? How is going to connect to the printer on my Vista 32??

Yes the printer driver has to be available on the Windows 7 64bit laptop.
Obtain the driver from Canon, use 7zip or another compression utility or your choice if needed to extract the files that are contained in the download, to a folder of your choice on your laptop. Then try this
Determine the IP address of the Vista machine hosting the printer share (from command prompt type ipconfig)
Determine the hostname of the Vista machine hosting the printer share (from a command prompt type whoami)
Determine the sharename of the printer from a command prompt type net share (keep the share name short with no spaces, this will make your life easier)
Then;
Open Devices and Printers
Select add printer near the top menu bar
Select add local printer
Choose Create a new port and local port from drop down arrow Click Next
In the enter a port name do one of the following
1. \\MachineNameHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName or
2. \\ipaddressOfMachineHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName
In the install printer driver dialog box do one of the following
1. In the left panel select your printer manufacturer and in the right panel select your printer model (to use Win7 native drivers) or
2. Select the have disk button and direct the install process to the folder where you have download and extracted the Win 7 drivers for your printer.

Yes the printer driver has to be available on the Windows 7 64bit laptop.
Obtain the driver from Canon, use 7zip or another compression utility or your choice if needed to extract the files that are contained in the download, to a folder of your choice on your laptop. Then try this
Determine the IP address of the Vista machine hosting the printer share (from command prompt type ipconfig)
Determine the hostname of the Vista machine hosting the printer share (from a command prompt type whoami)
Determine the sharename of the printer from a command prompt type net share (keep the share name short with no spaces, this will make your life easier)
Then;
Open Devices and Printers
Select add printer near the top menu bar
Select add local printer
Choose Create a new port and local port from drop down arrow Click Next
In the enter a port name do one of the following
1. \\MachineNameHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName or
2. \\ipaddressOfMachineHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName
In the install printer driver dialog box do one of the following
1. In the left panel select your printer manufacturer and in the right panel select your printer model (to use Win7 native drivers) or
2. Select the have disk button and direct the install process to the folder where you have download and extracted the Win 7 drivers for your printer.

GRACIAS
This is the first time I ever use a forum and your help is greatly appreciate. It is working like a champ and I am printing away......
Thanks again
Mario

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with your solution.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around.
Best Wishes
Randy

Randy,
Since you help me installing the canon printer driver, I found another problem with printing. I can print from Word or any other program just fine, but if I try to print directly from within the internet (e.g. bank statement) I get the printer page as normal and I click print, the printer page goes away but it never prints anything. I have to download the statement as a PDF file and then print it.
It is not just my bank, the same problem with my credit cards.
You help as usual is appreciated
Marito

Would love to help, but not sure I can.
Can you advise, as to which browser you are using and have you tried it with different browsers? Maybe someone will have some information regarding a specific browser and printing issues.
Are you using a print command from within the webpage or just the print function built into the browser? (Like in IE9, you click the tools icon (gear looking thing in top right corner under red x) and select print from the browser menu)
Does the print job ever show up in the printer queue?
I have found the a lot of banks and credit card companies and such have been lagging a bit with IE9 compatability so if the site you have having problems with has what looks to be a ripped or broken page icon next to the refresh arrown inside the URL/Address bar try clicking that and see if using compatability viewing on the site fixes the print issue.
Keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom