Windows 7 networking problems. cannot connect to printer and access other computers

bryanmmx

I'm having difficulty with the networking system of windows 7.

I am using a laptop in the office and what I want to do is to access the printer of a desktop computer via a wifi router. I can see the desktop computer, but I cannot access the public folder nor can I access the printer.

Both my laptop and the desktop computers are running windows 7 home basic. my wifi router is a linksys router model WRT120N. I've originally set up the network workplace and now I've changed it to homegroup just to try and see if I can print but apparently I still can't find the printer. I've tried playing LAN games on both the laptop and the desktop and it's ok. I've tried shutting down kaspersky internet security in any case the firewall is hindering anything but still can't find the printer.

Any ideas how to fix my problem?

Did you try it this way:

1. On your desktop machine, right-click the printer > properties > sharing tab> Share this printer.

2. In Windows 7, devices and printers > add > Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer

yes I did that already. I'm stuck at no. 2, my laptop can't find the printer when trying to add.

when I was still using XP I was able to set up the network to be able to print on the desktop pc using my laptop.

You have said that both you computers are running Windows 7, but you haven't said if they are both 32 or 64 bit versions.
What type of printer is it, manufacturer, model name, model number?
Does the manufacturer have a windows 7 driver for this printer for your version of Windows 7?
Try this method and see if it works for you
Open Devices and Printers
Select add printer near the top menu bar
Select add local printer
Choose Create a new port and local port from drop down arrow Click Next
In the enter a port name do one of the following
1. \\MachineNameHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName or
2. \\ipaddressOfMachineHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName
In the install printer driver dialog box do one of the following
1. In the left panel select you printer manufacturer and in the right panel select your printer model (to use Win7 native drivers) or
2. Select the have disk button and direct the install process to the folder where you have download and extracted the Win 7 drivers for your printer.

Both are on 32-bit.

My printer is HP All-in-one Officejet 4355
There's still no available driver from HP for windows 7. Though Windows 7 contains a basic driver for this product.

I will try your method. But I think I need to first make the desktop's public folder accessible. The network is set to homegroup and I can't access it.

yes I did that already. I'm stuck at no. 2, my laptop can't find the printer when trying to add.

when I was still using XP I was able to set up the network to be able to print on the desktop pc using my laptop.

I assumed from the quote above that with cybercore's suggestion you had got past the other issues and were only having the remaining printer problem. Perhaps you might read this article and following the steps to restart the whole home group process by resetting both computers and starting over
Windows 7 HomeGroup: Walkthrough
I believe that Win7 may have built in native support for the hp office jet 4300 series printer, if not you can try to circumvent this by actually attaching the printer to the second machine get the printer installed on that machine and then move it back and then try and use the method I described above

The post you reference, was regarding a member using a release candidate of Windows 7 and an HP laser printer, that had some unique peculiarity in a network environment regarding as I recall advanced printer properties and bi-directional printing. However in the last paragraph of the post is a reference to adding the printer as a local printer using a new local port as I recommended earlier. Good luck and keep us posted.

Got it to work finally! I just reset everything, cleared all networks and firewall settings on both computers and start everything new and finally they saw each other! Am now using Work Network.

Last edited:
Excellent, glad to hear that you've managed to get your issue resolved. Thanks for posting back and letting us know.

Back
Top Bottom