Windows 7 New BSOD experience!

VsUK

Not doing much, it's happened twice now over the last few days. Just had a photo editing program open the first time it happened & the second time watching a youtube video via facebook. But having some strange things happen to my system like having things minimize for no reason. PING.exe refusing to close, other apps refusing to close even Ending process they stick & only a reboot fixes & sometimes the system sticks on Logging Off screen. Yesterday I had my system lock up & nothing would open as it said not enough system memory & noticed my memory lvl was 100% & I have 8GB.

I followed the guide & added everything needed in the zip file. For some reason it wont let me upload .7z or .rar files & .zip don't compress below 1mb. So I have uploaded to my host as it's the easiest way to do it.

Info File

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff880110c62ac, fffff88007f4d950, 0}

Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+b12ac )

Followup: MachineOwner

Code:
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced memory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s.
Hi,
although the above dump file is blaming the gpu driver, atikmdag.sys, that particular bugcheck can mean out of date drivers/apps, corrupt system software and even failing or faulty RAM. (Even brand new RAM can be faulty)
According to the above memory was referenced probably by the gpu driver but the data within the memory was corrupt. This could be either down to faulty RAM or corrupt data.

I've seen both Avast and Comodo files on the data you sent. Avast is known to cause issues from time to time please uninstall both applications and run MSE as it's extremely stable:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

Drivers:
asmthub3.sys Mon Dec 16 03:19:13 2013: ASMedia USB 3.0 Hub driver. The actual USB3 chip is an Asmedia ASM1042 and the latest version can be found here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/inde...edia-ASM-104x-107x-Drivers-Version-1.16.16.0/

atikmdag.sys Fri May 23 02:46:07 2014: AMD beta GPU driver. Please uninstall using this application which will also remove any old bits of driver still around:
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
This is the latest Whql version 14.4 for your system:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 7 - 64#amd-catalyst-packages

Apart from the above your drivers are pretty much up to date. You do have a bios update pending which gives better compatibility with some USB devices found here:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

Corruption:
Check that windows hasn't become corrupt by running the system file checker. This will look for and repair corrupt system data. Find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

If after making the above changes your still getting a bsod then please download the latest version of Memtest here:
http://www.memtest.org/
This guide although a little old will explain how best to run Memtest86:
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tutorial-how-to-use-memtest.62524/

Please post any new dump files.

Won't my system be vulnerable if I remove avast & comodo? I've been told MSE isn't good enough for system protection other than win 8+

MSE will be quite adequate and we usually ask this whilst debugging. You can always re-install them at a later date I'm just trying to cover all variables.

OK, I completed all the tests & nothing came up with any problems. But I have noticed I am now getting an odd think appear on my desktop. Whenever I right click to bring up the menu to show desktop properties, I am left with a faint box that says Refresh. It's on top of everything & refuses to go & the only solution is to log off or restart.
refresh.png

Already use it. To be honest with you, all these issue's are new to me since I started using a SSD. I've had it checked & it's working perfectly & firmware up to date but I'm actually considering going back to my hybrid HDD simple because it's more reliable.

Yep I got that tip from here as I've been having programs refusing to close in the process tree & only reboots fix it. Gadgets not always loading up & won't open up when I try opening the gadgets from the desktop menu as nothing happens.

Re installed fresh 4 times & the same problems develop. I've ruled out mailware/spyware because I did an install & disconnected the system directly from the net & installed from CD everything I needed. I ran my system without any 3rd party software installed & the problems develop. Installed everything that I've always used from cd & updated windows & made sure everything was up to date driver wise & still the same thing & my last one which is the current install is installing everything with just my SSD installed & no other HDD connected & same thing develops.

Half way between the tests, I purchased new motherboard, ddr3 8GB kit & cpu & the problems was the same using the old hardware as is on the new so the likelyhood I have the same hardware faults on both the old & new hardware is possible but unlikely.

I got the SSD as a gift & I do honestly like having my system boot up in 4-6 seconds but the problems I'm getting I've never had using a normal HDD. It's like my system can't cope with the speed of my SSD. I even have normal software from reputable vendors like Microsoft, Motherboard drivers from the CD & so forth install & then right at the very end get stuck. It all install's but it gets stuck at the point of saying completed & refuses to close from the process tree.

I know my way around a system hardware & software wise but this is something that just refuses to fix itself & no matter how many different scans or analysis's I do, everything comes back ok. To be honest, the SSD is my first SSD & if this experience is anything to go by I think I'm going to stick to the normal HDD's as things install fully, uninstall fully & I can close every Process in the process tree without problems.

It's a SanDisk SDSSDP128G with 3.1.0 firmware & the Sandisk tool says no firmware available.

Hey,
just to go back to your mentioning of using motherboard drivers off the DVD... These are often out of date and I would check the actual motherboard support page. So is it true to say that your now using a different motherboard to the one I posted links for above? Also if you bought new RAM, motherboard and CPU chances are that if it was a hardware fault it would lie with the components used over from the last build.
Please post your new system spec and try running a chkdsk on the SSD.

Oh no. The drivers you gave me are for my new setup. I've been having issue's for a while but the BSOD was new which was why I posted in this section. But the only thing that was existing hardware is my 80Plus 600w PSU & my GPU which is a HD7750. I keep my system clean & do a clean up of dust often.

But the GPU can't make process's get stuck, Installation of software freeze at the very end & so forth as the GPU would only really cause visual issue's & lockups. I've run tests to throttle my GPU under default settings as I never overclock things as I don't really need to for what I do on my system & it comes back perfectly fine.

I've had someone PM me asking if I defragged my SSD & the answer is no as that would be stupid.

When installing, uninstalling & running software from my SSD, the data is being written & deleted from my SSD. So any error's writing & lockups would be caused by my SSD right? I will do a chkdsk now & see what happens but I've spend a while trying everything I can possibly think of & the only thing thats a factor in it all is my SSD, Never had any of this with a normal HDD.

Chkdsk results

Code:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                        

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
  178688 file records processed.                                          File verification completed.
  535 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                        2 EA records processed.                                              60 reparse records processed.                                       CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
  240896 index entries processed.                                         Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered.                                       CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
  178688 file SDs/SIDs processed.                                         Cleaning up 1672 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1672 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1672 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream
  31105 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  34060560 USN bytes processed.                                             Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
  178672 files processed.                                                 File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
  8150214 free clusters processed.                                         Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

122846207 KB total disk space.
  89879032 KB in 145235 files.
     83780 KB in 31108 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    282535 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  32600860 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  30711551 total allocation units on disk.
   8150215 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 ba 02 00 e0 b0 02 00 98 d4 04 00 00 00 00 00  ................
bc 04 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ....<...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

I see chkdsk corrected some errors has it helped with the issues you were seeing?

Only recently just had my system on since it completed & posted the results. However I was just on BBC iplayer & I went to full screen & then I got another BSOD.

Here is the info using the W7F tool. I noticed in the win 7 error box after reboot something to do with ati so I'm thinking there's a problem with my GPU?

Yeah, it happened again So I figured you might need to see my latest dump.

excuse the term used btw.. lol

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff880111a5dbb, fffff88004470228, fffff8800446fa80}

Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+c7dbb )

Followup: MachineOwner

Code:
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced memory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s
Hi,
apologies I didn't see the link at first which is why I asked... As you can see different bugcheck but similar results. Try my suggestion above on running Memtest86. Also do you either have an old card you could pop in the system or could a friend try your gpu is their system just to see if it's the card that is at fault?

Back