Windows 7 New Dell computer....

So do I! Windows 8 CP gave me a score of 2.4 (out of 9.9). Well, the screen looks better with Windows 8 CP installed than 7 did brand new out of the box. Windows 7 score was 2.7 when new, after upgrading my RAM, it jumped to 3.0.

But I'm really not into these scores. They are only MS's measure of performance. As long as I'm satisfied with what I have, and can do what I need to do with it, that's the score that counts. There are some users chasing down that perfect 7.9 score with every last cent that their credit cards will allow, but not me.

As far as AMD/ATI goes, I was lucky to get a driver for Windows 8 CP that makes it look good. Now, if they can provide that great of a driver for a beta OS, why can't they do that for Windows 7/Vista/XP owners who bought/built these PC's? Sure, they update it most months, but the updated ones looks hardly any different from the original.

I prefer NVIDIA a lot more over AMD/ATI.

Cat

Well the score was an idea to start making gamming and software prerequesits easier. So if you buy Microsoft Office Access 2015, it will require a ratting of Processor: 2.0, Memory: 3.1, Graphics: 1.0, Primary Disk: 4.3. That would be a lot easyer for average users to understand.

I have an AMD Radeon 5870 video card.
I went with it because it was the fastest 3D card on the market when I got my computer.

But the next time I will go back to Nvidia, they do a lot better job with drivers and support then AMD does.

Yes, NVIDIA does give better support than AMD does. Since I bought my MSI notebook last year, there's been 2 updates, for the better. AMD/ATI's updates, you often cannot even tell afterwards that it was updated.

So I quit trying to update my desktop PC with the AMD Radeon 3200 HD card. Funny though, there was a custom update for Windows 8 written, the screen looks better than new. I suppose it's mainly due to a business relationship between MS & the hardware providers than anything else, as to why Windows 8 CP's users are gaining anything.

Cat

I know, it is a shame. AMD is usualy a couple steps behind Intel, though they have less problems, other than the heat issue, than Intel. I wouldnt have this card if it wasnt for the machine I am using. I had to get all free parts and the only free fgraphics card I could get was this ATI, I can see why LMAO

Hopefully, you'll run across another card soon. There are many users who gives away their older cards upon upgrading to a new one. As for me, I've never installed a card, but from what I seen of it, it's not that hard of a job.

You brought up my other gripe with AMD, the heat issue. Seems that my desktop fan is screaming all of the time while running XP/Windows 7. It does it some with Windows 8, but not quite as much. I'm hoping that this desktop will last until Windows 9 is released, that the heat doesn't kill it.

I do keep it blown out with canned air, that helps. But it hasn't slowed that fan screaming a bit.

Cat

This is something that I do with lots of my cases. If you dont have one already, get a hole cut in the top if it and mount one or two case fans there pulling esaust out. This will lower you ambient tempratuer and in return lower the CPU tempratuer as well. It is the easiest and cheapest way to pull heat out of your system.

If you want to try Windows 8, you can install Virtual Box and then run Win8 in there. That runs like any application. Here is how.

And here is a little tutorial I made from my Win8 running in Virtual Box: https://vimeo.com/38730435

sorry to butt-in with the thread but i have a question about using windows 8 in windows 7 OS. I wanna try booting windows 8 to windows 7 OS without using any third party software or virtual software, can I actually do that?

You can double boot and put Win8 into a seperate partition. I actually did not like this setup. Virtual Box is the optimal solution. But if you don't want that, you can also install it seperately on a USB3 or eSata attached disk or a USB3 stick (USB2 would be too slow). I made a tutorial how you do that - we call it "Win8 to go" because you can carry this external disk or stick to any system and it will work.

Windows 8 To Go - Setup on a USB Flash Drive or USB Disk - Windows 8 Forums

This is something that I do with lots of my cases. If you dont have one already, get a hole cut in the top if it and mount one or two case fans there pulling esaust out. This will lower you ambient tempratuer and in return lower the CPU tempratuer as well. It is the easiest and cheapest way to pull heat out of your system.
I'll have to check this neat trick out. Being that my PC is under warranty until mid November, I'll have to wait, but this page has been bookmarked.

Also, this is an all-in-one PC, I'd have to find some very small fans to work with. I already have a fan blowing on my hard drives, as I run them outside of the case. I do this, because it's the only way that I can switch hard drives fast. What I do to keep them cooler is using a small personal desk fan, blow the air directly towards my them, from about 10 inches away.

And it makes a big difference! Without the fan, they run at around 38 to 40C. But when I turn on the fan, within a few minutes, it drops to around 26-27C, sometimes 25C. I've read that every 5C drop in HDD temps leads to them lasting longer. It's actually at 24C right now, I've never seen it dip that low.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/cm12W5PaHUQAaR7eErUdee8

You would think that some of that cool air would be reaching my MB, as the HDD is setting just outside of the case. Some of that air has to be going in. Or mabye I should position the fan to where not only it cools my HDD, but also to blow air into that huge opening (the HDD cover) that stays that way all the time.

Cat

Also, a cool ('cuse the (intentional) pun) idea to have a CPU gauge on the desktop that shows core temps.

Drew

Yes, that would be good to have. I need to find one that's compatible with Windows 8.

Is there such a thing as a HDD running at too low temps? It's now steadily running at 24C, with a drop to 23C every now & then.

Cat

Damn, that sure is cold. Are you out on the patio w/ it? ;)

Yeah, I have the temps on the gauge in 7. Thought I had it in 8...came close but, not quite :confused_smile: will try again w/ the next beta. But, yeah, I hit the same snag, albeit, temporary.

Cat, hold the phone... I just tried Core temp & it works, just fine in Windows8, now! YEA!!! I have Core Temps showing on Win8, again :D

All CPU Gauge & Core Temp version 0.99.7

Drew

No, but I feel like I am, I had to cut that fan off a bit. I may look into that setup that TM does with his HDD's, having twin fans attached to each. Can't cost that much for a couple of them.

And Naiya is right, about the ventilation. After the warranty runs out, I'll explore my options to make it run cooler.

I got you Drew! Will download it now. Thanks!

Cat

Oh & here's an aside...

Remember I keep an "Applications" folder on my Taskbar. Upon installing Core Temp, it shows listed there. There, also, appears a tile for it on Start. But or and since no need for it there, it immediately was Unpinned from Start... Start stays sparse, clean & tidy. It is wrong thinking Start need becomes a myriad of tiles.

Cheers,
Drew

Why are all 3 of my active virus/malware programs (ESET Smart Security 5, MBAM & SAS) reporting this as an infected download? (Core Temp 0.99.7)?

It's one thing for one to flag it, but all 3 of them?

Cat

Dunno, Cat. I've never had anything do that pre-Windows8 & still no such occurrence w/ it on Windows8, either. Everything completely copasetic. Sorry. Could be they are going it simply because it's something unfamiliar to them. Still, we both (already) know it's ok.

Although, if, I run Malwarebytes it will not whinge about Core Temp.

Drew

I scanned it again with MBAM, it reported it as clean, it was during the download that it flagged it. But when I try to open it, both ESET & SAS went off again.

SAS reports: Trojan.Agent/Gen.Solimba
ESET reports: variant of MSIL/Solimba.B

Mabye I should download it from another source & see what happens. MBAM blocked me from 1 site when I was searching for it.

Cat

My Dell doesn't tell me the CPU Temperature, but it appears to be running very cool as there's no heat coming from the case at all. It's also running very quiet, hardly know it's on. No loud case fans bugging me like my old computer.

Back