Windows 7 New Dell computer....

I have to make a correction, my new Dell does tell the temperature of the CPU's-0 is 38, and 1 is 33. It also gives the temperature of the hard drive. Being new to the computer I didn't know where to find this info, but it's definitely there. There's a System Information Tools section I wasn't aware of, which has all the specifics of the computer listed.

It is all about the parts you use to put it together. It is not allways a good thing that the fans are quiet. You have to know how much air it moves per second. There are fans that put out something like 30 cubic feet per minute and run at the same volume as a church mouse pissing on cotton. Thought that would be a high end expencive model, so like I have said before, it is all about the parts and price. You said that there is little to nu heat comming from the computer. That could be a bad thing. All computers make heat, and depending on what components you have they make a certin ammount of heat. No matter if it is brand new, a year old, or a decade old. So the fact that the computer is not putting out any heat would lead me to believe that either a fan is out, not working properly or you have water cooling in some form or fassion. Just my take on it.

There's nothing wrong with the Dell. The fans are on but run extremely quiet. Compared to my old computer this one is a dream. Cool, quiet, no crashes, starts up quicker, shuts down quicker, loads websites quicker, I love it. You can tell it's on but just barely. The old computer almost sounded like an airplane.

Well, the fans on my Dell XPS 8300 are not that silent. The HP I had before was quieter.

djwayne you'll have to define "runs cool".

The computer does not makes heat?
The computer does not releases heat out of the case?
The computer case is not hot when I touch it?
The fans do not pull the hot air out of the case?
There is a black hole that is positioned next to my south bridge, that the heat excapes from.

All of which are either not possable, irelevent or a bad thing.

djwayne you'll have to define "runs cool".

The computer does not makes heat?
The computer does not releases heat out of the case?
The computer case is not hot when I touch it?
The fans do not pull the hot air out of the case?
There is a black hole that is positioned next to my south bridge, that the heat excapes from.

All of which are either not possable, irelevent or a bad thing.

The computer does NOT make heat.

The air coming out of the computer is near room temperature.

The computer case is at room temperature. Not hot at all.

The fans are operating but blowing out room temperature air.

The CPU 0 operating temperature is 37-40 degrees celsius.The CPU 1 operating temperature is 32 degrees celsius. The hard drive is currently at 40 degrees celsius.

This is the coolest and quietest computer I've ever owned.

It is not possable for a computer to not make heat, all electrical devices make heat. Well that is unless they are unplugged. The ambient tmprature in your case is low, to be why it is putting out lower temprature air from the case. The case wont heat up at all, unless the computer is overheating badly. It is not always a good thing that the fans are blowing out room temprature air. I remember having that happen a while back ago and found out that one fan was pulling air in and a fan next to it was pulling that air right out of the case. Meaning that neither fan was doing anything for the computer, just using power.

The reading on that processor is strange though. The difference in the tmpratures is really wide, considering that "CPU 0" is only 3 or 4 nanometers away from "CPU 1". Could be a missreading probe. Then again it could be that the "CPU 1" is the running tmprature for both cores and the "CPU 0" is the processor itself. That would make since being that the cache and bus is ever changeing and hince the heat output is changeing as well. Either way the HDD and processor is all running about the same as mine. So the heat output is not really all that different from the i7 and two hard drives in my system.

Like I have said before it is all about the parts that you put in the system and how you put it together. You can even go into the sape of the case and impedence of the air flow, there are many factors when it comes to this topic. Is a reason why PCs are so great. You can make it so differnet even if starting off with the same base case. The greatest thing is when a person takes a case and modifies it to be even better. Like I am looking farward to putting new blowholes on my current case. I just have to get the tools to do it first.

I was told not to add any extra "blow holes" as it disrupts the intended original design of airflow in the case. Do what ever you want it's your computer.

All I know is my computer is running all day long and only puts out room temperature air. It has yet to get any where near being warm. Quiet as can be...that's why I love this computer and would never go back to my old set up. It's running perfect for me.

That is fine and dandy to keep that computer, just know your computer and know what can be done and what might should be done. Let me make sure that I am looking up the right specs on this computer before I coment any further.
Inspiron 620

Right? I am looking at the right model? Cause all you said was the Dell 620. I just want to make sure I am looking up the right one.

Yep, it's the Inspiron 620. 4 gig memory, i3 chip (2nd generation chip). 500gig hard drive. About $399 on sale at Micro Center. List price $499.

It comes with Windows 7-64 bit already installed. You just have to install your programs and internet connections stuff and you're ready to go. I was on the internet in about 10 minutes after taking it out of the box !!!! I've had it for a month now and still haven't had any problems.

Okay, I wanted to double check before I comented further on this. I have looked up the service manual on this unit. There are a few things that I do not like about it. Also that are not great designes.

You talked about adding blowholes and such would impead the intended air flow. This unit as no air flow at all. There is one chasis fan and lacks a power supply fan. There is not a single inlet fan at all. There is no intended air flow if there is no place for the air to come from. So adding anything would only improve the air flow. This would be causeing a vacume on the ambient air of the case and causeing it to only pull air from a limited distance from the fan. So that would mean that the air about three inches from the fan is that temprature but the rest of the case could be hoter.

Also the chasis fan is being run by the motherboards fan_sys1 controler. This is being run by the BIOS and in return can be modified to so what ever they want it to. You can put those same fans that where on your last computer and make them run as the same volume. It is all about what speed you run it at. I prefer to run chasis fans off of a fan controler, giving me the choice of what speed to run them at.

Then the heat block on the processor. I do not like that designe. I call it a Bundt cake block. The problem with that block is that the air flow is lowered by the designe. Air comming in on the sides and then being directed 90* upward. This will cause the block to not have the ventalation needed to take heat off and in return heat up the processor.

Like I said it is all fine and dandy what you want to do with your computer. Just be aware of it's Pros and Cons. Never let yourself think that it can not be improved on. This kind of thinking will lead to being dependant on it to run itself corectly. That will lead to bad things.

I'm not going to do a frigging thing to this computer as it is running perfect as is. I am completely happy with the way it performs. There's no reason for me to "fix it" !!!!

I was told not to add any extra "blow holes" as it disrupts the intended original design of airflow in the case. Do what ever you want it's your computer.

All I know is my computer is running all day long and only puts out room temperature air. It has yet to get any where near being warm. Quiet as can be...that's why I love this computer and would never go back to my old set up. It's running perfect for me.
I think your system is alright. Don't drill holes. That makes no sense.

The i3 is a low end CPU that does not produce a lot of heat. More heat would come from a high end GPU if e.g. you were playing demanding games. The disk(s) can also produce some heat.

But all in all I would not worry about heat. Your system is fine and you really seem to like it. Let nobody talk you into something different.

Yes I know the i3 is a low end CPU and that's fine with me. It does what I need it too. It's powerful enough to run my music software and that's all I'm concerned with. I don't need a more powerful computer than that. I don't want heat issues. For the money, you can't beat it. I don't want a $1,000 dollar computer. I just want something that'll get me around the internet and work with my music programs, and that's it. I don't do gaming. This computer is working out perfectly for me. There's no way I'm gonna start drilling holes in it !!!

Very good. You have a pragmatic view of things. I like that. Why buy a Ferrari to go back and forth to the supermarket on the next corner - but some nuts do that.

Very good. You have a pragmatic view of things. I like that. Why buy a Ferrari to go back and forth to the supermarket on the next corner - but some nuts do that.

Exactly. I'm taking some flack from a friend who says I could of built a larger more powerful computer for the same money, but I didn't want that. I wanted no headaches, I didn't need a larger more powerful computer, and most of all I didn't want to do hours and hours of due dilligence getting just the right combination of parts that would work together. I figured I'd buy a computer already built that would take all the guess work away, and so far I'm very pleased with my purchase/decision.

My last computer was a do-it-your-self'er and yes it did work, but it was also a lot of headaches, had heat and noise issues, and the motherboard would never accept any more that 1 gig of memory for some unknown reason. With the new computer I'm running 4 gigs of memory with no problems. Even though the i3 is an entry level CPU, it's still better than the 6450 Core2 Duo I was running (2.66 ghz vrs 3.30 ghz with the i3). The Core 2 Duo was okay 5 years ago, but I like the 2nd generation i3 much better.

I could of built a larger more powerful computer for the same money
I doubt that. You got a really good deal on that system. And the i3, although entry level for the i-series, is a fine CPU and beats most older Duo cores.

I doubt that. You got a really good deal on that system. And the i3, although entry level for the i-series, is a fine CPU and beats most older Duo cores.

Yep, the 2nd generation i3 is a nice chip that has worked very well for me for the last month. It runs my programs and stays cool and the computer stays quiet. I couldn't be happier with another set up. Plus it's very cost efficient. It's definitely a step up from the Core2Duo's.

Back