Windows 7 New drive clean install W7 and XP what's the best way?

Ivone

I have new HD 160GB and my main OS for now will be XP sp3, but I would like to install W7 as well.

Wish list:
I like to have option to boot in to OS of my choice
My main OS will be XP sp3 for now, W7 later if I like it
How should I setup partitions on my HD, (how many, how big, NTFS or FAT32, prime, active etc.)
What OS should I install first? In what partition?
My idea for size: W7 20Gb,XP 30GB, Data (docs, dbase etc.) 110GB
I also have 2nd hard drive for backup the first (mirror or just data)

Be able to easy delete either OS in the future and stay with the one I like and recover space.
Be able to boot in OS of my choice (HD seeing and recognizing bot OS at the start up)

Use KISS explication if you can. (1,2,3,4 etc.)

TIA

*What OS should I install first?* - XP
*My idea for size: W7 20Gb,XP 30GB, Data (docs, dbase etc.) 110GB* - Correction - win 7 i'd suggest 30GB or more, XP 20GB will be enough.

1. Resize your HDD and make 2 partitions for OS's by size on your own choice.
I suggest GParted
2. Install Win XP on partition by your own choice.
Win 7 needs more Gigs than XP.
3. Install Win 7.
I, personally, had no problems with bootloader, but if you have, i've seen people saying that EasyBCD will help.

Correct me somebody, if i missed something :)

Actually thinking about it, maybe this would be better:
Unplug my second HD first!

Divide HD into 3 partitions
1)primary partition Fat32-30GB, XP= will install XPsp3 (or should this be formatted as active partition?}
2)partion FAT32-100GB, Data = for data
3)partition NTFS-30GB (Win7) = Win7

That will give me C,D,E

Then plug my second HD - hopefully that would give me F etc.

If I don't like Win7 - I can format/delete E partition later

Like to have 3 partitions (3rd for testing)
What do you think?

Will I have a booting problem when I install Win7 (if yes, how can I prevent that)

TIA

Last edited:
As far as which to install first.. you have to install old to new, so XP first than Win 7.. ;) The boot manager will configure itself if the installation is done in the proper order.. I wouldn't use FAT32 at all.. NTFS is a much better option.. You won't have a problem booting as long as you install in the proper order.. As far as partition sizes go, that's really up to you.. it all depends on how much space you want for Data.. on my main PC I have the XP partition at 80GB's, Win 7 partition at 99GB's and DATA partition at 350GB's.. I have a 500GB and 160GB HDD in this PC so of course yours will be a bit different but just as an example.. I use most of the space for DATA.. ;)

I also have XP on one HDD and Win 7 on the other.. I find this works very well.. :)

Hopefully this helps a little bit.. :)

Ok, I will install XP first then and wait to see what's the best option.
I can also install W7 on my second HD - is that better option? (just to play with W7)

Will I have any problem to boot with dual OS? Any tricks?

Tia

BTW: yes XP partition will be formated NTFS. What's the partition setting? active, logical, primary ?

I wouldn't give Win7 any less than 40 GB to play with.
As for XP, that size will depend on what else you're installing. Personally, I'd have both the OS partition first, then the data partition last, as it separates them more. If the data partition is in the middle, that means there can be sector errors on both sides, giving a better chance of corruption.

I'd do this; Put the WinXP disk in, and make three partitions, all NTFS. First partition: 30 GB for XP, second partition 40 GB for Win7, and the rest to Data (Will be less than 90 GB, due to formatting, etc). Then, install XP, then Windows 7.

Ok, Kyle,
It's getting better. I'll do that then - np.

Questions:
What's the partition setting? active, logical, primary ?
If I follow your plan, will I have booting problem like 99% of all the people here?Link Removed due to 404 Error

I just like to able to choose my OS at boot.

TIA

Windows will set up partitions on its own. Why do you think that 99%had problems with booting?
I had no problems, i have XP-15GB, both vista and win7 - 30GB, and ubuntu on other drive.

No problems with me either.
I think the trick is to start with a neat n' tidy machine first.
I have two drives. One is split 50/50 into two partitions. One for XP Pro, the other for a clean install of Seven.
The second drive holds all the data, docs, photos, and so on. I can access this from either XP or Seven.
For example my Outlook pst file is on the data drive so I am using the same database for emails, whether I am in XP or Seven.
Works well for me, hope it works well for you :)

For the OS -- you don't really need to give XP very much at all

I'm running XP PRO 64 bit with LOADs of applications and my OS partition size is set to just 20GB and that's plenty. Much the same for XP 32 bit (the usual one)

Like Kyle I'd have the OS'es first and then the data.

I don't dual boot as I have separate machines for testing but in the past I've dual / triple / even quadrupled booted -- to avoid problems install WINDOWS XP first. If you install LINUX or W7 first then XP will kill the boot manager and you'll only see the XP system. (The other systems are still there --you just won't be able to access them without some real trickery).

As I've said before don't bother with FAT32 anymore on hard disks. It also has problems with large files -- and when dealing with Video production / streaming etc you can get some very large files.

Even Linux can read / write to NTFS now so keeping FAT32 just to share with Linux isn't necessary anymore.
I've posted on this board elsewhere how to convert to NTFS without losing data / reformatting disks and hbow to mount an NTFS file system for READ / WRITE on a typical Linux machine.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
Windows will set up partitions on its own. Why do you think that 99%had problems with booting?
I had no problems, i have XP-15GB, both vista and win7 - 30GB, and ubuntu on other drive.

Just by judging from this and many other forums. (that's why I am panicking) :)
I am doing doing completely new setup on clean HD.

I backed up all my data, then clean wiped my HD with WipeDrive and will start all over. (
It's taking all nigh to wipe the drive)

I'll be ready in one hour to start my new setup.
I like to play a bit and starting all over again is fun. My XP run great and for long time, but "little" house cleaning never hurts.

I just want everything clean and perfect specially when I start fresh.

I will do XP first - that's what I wanted to know.

Thanks for your help.

I have two drives. One is split 50/50 into two partitions. One for XP Pro, the other for a clean install of Seven.
The second drive holds all the data, docs, photos, and so on. I can access this from either XP or Seven.
For example my Outlook pst file is on the data drive so I am using the same database for emails, whether I am in XP or Seven.

Hi Guy -- don't forget there's now a nice Outlook backup facilty you can download from the Microsoft site -- file name is pfbackup.exe.

After install you'll see another addition to the outlook menu (file=== backup)

Cheers
jimbo

Another good option to consider.

Thanks

Hi Guy -- don't forget there's now a nice Outlook backup facilty you can download from the Microsoft site -- file name is pfbackup.exe.

After install you'll see another addition to the outlook menu (file=== backup)

Cheers
jimbo

Outlook? What's that? :)

I switched to TheBat email agent ages ago. Have a look it when you get a chance.

For the OS -- you don't really need to give XP very much at all

I'm running XP PRO 64 bit with LOADs of applications and my OS partition size is set to just 20GB and that's plenty. Much the same for XP 32 bit (the usual one)

Like Kyle I'd have the OS'es first and then the data.

I don't dual boot as I have separate machines for testing but in the past I've dual / triple / even quadrupled booted -- to avoid problems install WINDOWS XP first. If you install LINUX or W7 first then XP will kill the boot manager and you'll only see the XP system. (The other systems are still there --you just won't be able to access them without some real trickery).

As I've said before don't bother with FAT32 anymore on hard disks. It also has problems with large files -- and when dealing with Video production / streaming etc you can get some very large files.

Even Linux can read / write to NTFS now so keeping FAT32 just to share with Linux isn't necessary anymore.
I've posted on this board elsewhere how to convert to NTFS without losing data / reformatting disks and hbow to mount an NTFS file system for READ / WRITE on a typical Linux machine.

Cheers
jimbo

Definitely I will do: XP first all partitions in NTFS.
Thanks

Last edited:
I wouldn't give Win7 any less than 40 GB to play with.
As for XP, that size will depend on what else you're installing. Personally, I'd have both the OS partition first, then the data partition last, as it separates them more. If the data partition is in the middle, that means there can be sector errors on both sides, giving a better chance of corruption.

I'd do this; Put the WinXP disk in, and make three partitions, all NTFS. First partition: 30 GB for XP, second partition 40 GB for Win7, and the rest to Data (Will be less than 90 GB, due to formatting, etc). Then, install XP, then Windows 7.

I decide on this then, tell me if I missed something.

1 HD= 3 partitions all in NTFS format
1st=XP - 30GB
2nd=W7 - 30GB
3rd=Data - rest (90GB) - email, data, music, photos, videos, etc.

2HD - complete mirror/backup of 1st HD

Also that way I can do easy back of 2 nd HD to my 250GB USB external hard drive.
Done

Any comments?

TIA

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.. ;) That should work just fine.. let us know if you run into any problems and need some help.. :)

I decide on this then, tell me if I missed something.

1 HD= 3 partitions all in NTFS format
1st=XP - 30GB
2nd=W7 - 30GB
3rd=Data - rest (90GB) - email, data, music, photos, videos, etc.

2HD - complete mirror/backup of 1st HD

Also that way I can do easy back of 2 nd HD to my 250GB USB external hard drive.
Done

Any comments?

TIA

Nothing wrong with your decision.
For my part I would use number one disk split 50/50 for the two O/Ss.
Number two disk would hold all my data.
All backups, including my Acronis image backup, would go to Ext Hard Drive.
Although I can see what you are doing, having your second disk with Everything from your first disk.
Yeah I suppose I don't do that. Each to his own :razz:

Interesting discussion, wish I would have read it before I installed everything....
I have 2-500gb hard drives. I put Win XP sp3 on one by itself (drive C) and split the other one in half with
Win 7 (7022) (drive E) on one partition and the other partition empty (new drive F). Drive D is my CD/DVD drive.

Both drives dual boot fine, but I was wondering if I could go backwards with out reinstalling the OS's, or at least not re installing win xp again. I guess I'm asking, can I shrink the XP partition and then reinstall win 7 on the same drive, tehn do the 30gb xp, 40gb win7 and the data stuff on the rest. I dont have that much data installed, since I just installed everything last week.I actually really don't need the second hd at this time, then I could add it in the future.

Another issue also may be when win 7 get releaded for good, will you hvae to reinstall everything after you install the new version of Win 7, since it wont be an upgrade.........correct?

rock on

BillD

Interesting discussion, wish I would have read it before I installed everything....
I have 2-500gb hard drives. I put Win XP sp3 on one by itself (drive C) and split the other one in half with
Win 7 (7022) (drive E) on one partition and the other partition empty (new drive F). Drive D is my CD/DVD drive.

Both drives dual boot fine, but I was wondering if I could go backwards with out reinstalling the OS's, or at least not re installing win xp again. I guess I'm asking, can I shrink the XP partition and then reinstall win 7 on the same drive, tehn do the 30gb xp, 40gb win7 and the data stuff on the rest. I dont have that much data installed, since I just installed everything last week.I actually really don't need the second hd at this time, then I could add it in the future.

Another issue also may be when win 7 get releaded for good, will you hvae to reinstall everything after you install the new version of Win 7, since it wont be an upgrade.........correct?

rock on

BillD

Re your HD:
Yes, I would do it, but I did this:
C:XP - 30GB
D:Data
E:W7-30GB (not yet installed)

Why I did it like this?
In case I will erase W7 (or play with this partition my data dir will not change)

My 2 HD: for backup only (for now)

Yes, you can resize all your partitions as you like.

Back