Windows 7 new laptop is wrecked

DarkNation

bought new laptop few days ago and went to factory reset via the recovery partition, it stuffed up few times during instlallation and got few blue screens and was stuck on formatting so i formatted laptop to win xp to burn myself a win7 installer into disc so i did and tried installing via disc but same thing happened it still didnt work, after the format completes i get an error straight after the hp logo saying

Windows boot manager

File: \boot\BCD
info: an error occured while attempting to read boot configuration data.

and something like insert os disc and click repair

so i was able to fix this via cmd prompt
so then after i fixed that error now im gettin another error saying

file: \window\system32\config is missing or corrupt

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]the laptop doesnt go beyond the error im just stuck on viewing the error and iv even used my os repair disc and it didnt do help. im able to install xp without a problem but not win7 i know iv definitely got registry problems ?[/FONT]

What command did you use to repair the BCD store?

If you are getting corrupt files on the laptop, there may be something that would prompt a talk to the warranty dept. But for corrupt files, about all you can do, beside reinstall, is a CHKDSK, and maybe running the system file checker from off line.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Hi

Check out this page...

windows\system32\config\system file missing or corrupt - Microsoft Answers

What operating system did the computer come with?
If it came with XP I'd try and get that up and running first.

Your first problem could probably have been fixed using EasyBCD to restore the Boot Manager.

Once you get XP up and running then try installing Widows 7 again.

Note, that you can't upgrade from XP to Windows 7, you have to do a complete install over it.

Let us know if the above link helps.

Mike

What command did you use to repair the BCD store?

If you are getting corrupt files on the laptop, there may be something that would prompt a talk to the warranty dept. But for corrupt files, about all you can do, beside reinstall, is a CHKDSK, and maybe running the system file checker from off line.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

i used

bootrec.exe
bootrec /rebuildbcd

just ran sfc.exe didnt repair the problem

Last edited:
Hi Saltgrass looks like a tie! LOL
it came with win7 64bit
im able to install xp but even after i do then try install fresh copy of win7 i get the same error

also iv tried those commands before several times i get a message something like the specified file "system" could not be found or something like that.

Yes, Mike... must be nothing good on TV...

The comment I see about the config problem seems to indicate a registry corruption situation, as you seem to suspect. The problem is, if you have booted successfully since the problems started, the good copy is gone. You could try using the F8 key and select the last known good configuration, which will replace the Registry with its backup.

A Chkdsk is still recommended.

You said you tried a factory restore. Why was that necessary, and can you try it again, or has the partition been overwritten? There are some systems, that have a self-protection type of scheme which might interfere with new installs. I have never had a system with such a thing, but something to keep in mind.

If it was me and I was unable to get it working, I might get a new hard drive and try installing to it to test. You do not have to enter any keys if you don't intend on activating the install.

And I like to use the bcdboot C:\Windows command to replace the boot store, assuming C: is your Windows partition. It can also be run by just opening an Administrative command prompt while in Windows 7.

So the computer has a restore partition with Windows 7 on it?

It should restore from the Recovery Partition no matter how messed up the present installation is.

It should just overwrite the whole thing.

I miss the old day when I could just stick in a floppy disk and type format C:\s or whatever the command was.

Why did you have to use restore on a few days old computer to start with.
What kind of problems were you having that prompted the restore.

Mike

Yes, Mike... must be nothing good on TV...

The comment I see about the config problem seems to indicate a registry corruption situation, as you seem to suspect. The problem is, if you have booted successfully since the problems started, the good copy is gone. You could try using the F8 key and select the last known good configuration, which will replace the Registry with its backup.

A Chkdsk is still recommended.

You said you tried a factory restore. Why was that necessary, and can you try it again, or has the partition been overwritten? There are some systems, that have a self-protection type of scheme which might interfere with new installs. I have never had a system with such a thing, but something to keep in mind.

If it was me and I was unable to get it working, I might get a new hard drive and try installing to it to test. You do not have to enter any keys if you don't intend on activating the install.

And I like to use the bcdboot C:\Windows command to replace the boot store, assuming C: is your Windows partition. It can also be run by just opening an Administrative command prompt while in Windows 7.

when i go into last know configuration it gos into windows 7 installation, iv already done a Chksk check
i can still factory restore i still have the partition it completes the installation of new OS but i still get the error.

So the computer has a restore partition with Windows 7 on it?

It should restore from the Recovery Partition no matter how messed up the present installation is.

It should just overwrite the whole thing.

I miss the old day when I could just stick in a floppy disk and type format C:\s or whatever the command was.

Why did you have to use restore on a few days old computer to start with.
What kind of problems were you having that prompted the restore.

Mike

my browser would close itself when a few tabs were opened and same with apps/programs
and my processor and mem usage wouldnt even be near half of its power

its got i5 processor, 8gb ram, 500gb hdd and 1gb 6770m card

Back
Top Bottom