Windows 7 New laptop with windows 7 32-bit

spikesnet

My buddy bought a Toshiba laptop from BestBuy and it came with windows 7 32-bit. The hardware clearly is compatible with Windows 7 64 bit so I'm not sure why they put 32-bit on it but he would like to change it to 64-bit.

Does this mean he has to buy a whole new copy of windows 7 if he wants to go to 64-bit or is there another way?

He called MS and asked them but they just tried to sell him a new copy for $200.

The one product key (or bios SLIC) activates both versions, x32 or x64 bit. If you need a x64 bit 7 DVD, Microsoft is supposed to send it to you upon your request at low cost, significantly lower than $200, smth around $30 if I remember right.

Another option is to contact your PC vendor to ask for x64 DVD or ask for a refund - I understand they sold it as x64 preinstalled, that's what you paid your money for, correct ?

Is it retail or oem version, do you have the product key ?

Most likely you have OEM, contact Microsoft and ask them for a 7 64-bit OEM DVD, I know they would do this for x32 bit Retail Vista, should be the same for OEM versions.

I think its oem, the cdkey is on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Rather then windows 7 cd, it came with Toshiba rescue cds.

Software Baby, Software !!

The hardware clearly is compatible with Windows 7 64 bit so I'm not sure why they put 32-bit on it but he would like to change it to 64-bit.

I cannot answer the primary question you pose here, but I can, first hand, answer the question of why someone would want a 32 bit OS on hardware capable of running a 64 bit OS. The answer is "SOFTWARE"! When Windows 7 was in beta, I installed a 64 bit version for testing and while the OS installed on the hardware without any hickups, the first three applications that I attempted to install were not compatible with the 64 bit OS. These first three applications were my most frequently used applications, so I formatted and installed the 32 bit application and have not looked back since. That is why someone would want a 32 bit OS on hardware capable of running a 64 bit OS.

John

Back