Windows 7 New motherboard/producd key activation

bennyhil

Hi all,

I've been running Win 7 (Home Premium) fro 2/3 weeks. My motherboard died last week and I've had a new one installed at a local computer shop. I never returned it to the original supplier as it was six days out of it's warranty and they wanted silly money to fix it :mad:.

The PC is now up and running again but yesterday Win 7 tried to register the product key. The trouble is that the key is linked to the previous motherboard as it was already registered.

What's Microsofts stance on this? Will they give me a new key or will I have to buy a new one? If I do have to buy a new one this seems ridicilous

I've no interest in being creative with google and finding a 'dodgy' key, that's not an acceptable solution.

Any help greatly apprecaited.

You have to buy a new key if it is an OEM install only full retail version is transferable.
Joe

You have to buy a new key if it is an OEM install only full retail version is transferable.
Joe
That's not necessarily true. IF (that's a big "if" in case you missed that! ;)) this new motherboard was installed as a repair action to replace a motherboard that failed, then you are fine. If the reauthentication process wants you to call MS and talk to a real person, simply tell the truth - that your board failed and this is a "replacement". Note that in the course of fixing computers, I have done this many times.

HOWEVER, if in the process of fixing the computer by replacing the motherboard you decided to UPGRADE the system at the same time with a different CPU and new RAM too, then that's basically a new computer, and you need a new license.

I've no interest in being creative with google and finding a 'dodgy' key, that's not an acceptable solution.
You are right, it is not acceptable, and it's illegal too.

Joe
Not true. I replaced a MB and CPU into a machine with an OEM version all it took was a phone call to MS as it would not automatically validate, I have done this before where it actually automatically registered and validated. MS will ask you a few questions the Key one is how amna machines is this installed on you will of course answer one

It may depend on who you talk with at MS. I've heard some people that got jerked around quite a bit when they have been forced to call. Some had the new keys read so fast it was impossible to get it copied down and they could hear people laughing before they hung up on them. So if you get told no try another call and see if you get a different rep.
Joe

It may depend on who you talk with at MS. I've heard some people that got jerked around quite a bit when they have been forced to call.
As I said, I have done this many times and NEVER had a problem. I suspect what you "heard" was not the full story and most likely they told MS they upgraded, or something to that effect. The key is it needs to be replacement board for one that failed. And yes of course, it must only be installed on that one machine.

As I said, I have done this many times and NEVER had a problem. I suspect what you "heard" was not the full story and most likely they told MS they upgraded, or something to that effect. The key is it needs to be replacement board for one that failed. And yes of course, it must only be installed on that one machine.
I also never had a problem I just explained I put in a New CPU and MB they then gave me a series of numbers to insert and asked me if activation then worked which it did took less than 10 minutes to accomplish this

Back
Top Bottom