Windows 7 Newly built computer, lots of blue screens

Tzacharu

Hello forum,

I recently put together a computer for my brother and I've been getting many blue screens over the last couple of days. I've been trying to corner the problem myself the last two days but I'm still not confident that I know what the problem is in its entirety.

I have installed Windows 7 on this computer with the following specifications:

Radeon HD 4870
AMD Propus Quad Core @ 2.9 GHz
ADATA 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
MSI 770 G45 Motherboard

Everything ran fine and dandy until the first blue screen was encountered, and it was while my brother was watching a video. The second one came while playing a game, and there were about four more after that. So since nothing major was installed on the computer, I decided to try reinstalling Windows 7. This time I did not install any drivers because I thought that was the issue before the re-installation.

I tried to play a few games, and they blue screened again. Now I thought it may be the RAM, so I ran the Windows 7 Memory Diagnostic tool on both RAM sticks, and got an error message. Then I did the same test with both stick separately, however I got no error messages. Then I thought it was maybe the DIMM2 slot that was faulty, so I tried testing both sticks again and this time I don't get an error message.

So I installed the same drivers (chipset drivers and the GPU drivers) as before and I'm still getting blue screens. And it's not just one type of blue screen, I've been getting several different stop messages, including xA1, xC2, x1E, x3B, and x0A. They mostly occur when playing computer games, however they have occured while running less intensive programs and during a Windows update.

Also, more recently, I've run MemTest on my RAM and I've got errors reported, so I know the problem is RAM related, but I thought I'd just ask if there could be anything else that may be wrong with the computer.

Here is the dump files that have been produced since I've reinstalled Windows 7:

View attachment minidumps.rar

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi.

There are many different types of errors, suggestive of a typical hardware problem.
Or AVG causing havoc.

Coincidentally, I see you have AVG installed. You should completely uninstall that with the special tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

I recommend replacing it with MSE since it is very efficient and never causes bsod.

I think after doing this, these errors are going to clear up. Let us know how it goes and post a new crash dump after, if needed to. Good luck.

If necessary, we can also then look at memory voltage, timings and frequency.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I downloaded the AVG AV Tool (64 bit) and executed it. I got the following messages:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Did it work as intended? AVG appears to be still on my computer.

I'll try a few things and see if problems are still occurring.

I can't say for sure because I never used the tool.

What you can do is uninstall it in the normal method. If it's already removed from the uninstall list, then cool. Reboot to safe mode and then run the tool again for good measure.

Yeah, going by the crash dump that happened at 2:34 PM today, AVG is definitely still installed and in all likelihood, the cause of issues still.

Hello forum,

I recently put together a computer for my brother and I've been getting many blue screens over the last couple of days. I've been trying to corner the problem myself the last two days but I'm still not confident that I know what the problem is in its entirety.

I have installed Windows 7 on this computer with the following specifications:

Radeon HD 4870
AMD Propus Quad Core @ 2.9 GHz
ADATA 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
MSI 770 G45 Motherboard

Everything ran fine and dandy until the first blue screen was encountered, and it was while my brother was watching a video. The second one came while playing a game, and there were about four more after that. So since nothing major was installed on the computer, I decided to try reinstalling Windows 7. This time I did not install any drivers because I thought that was the issue before the re-installation.

I tried to play a few games, and they blue screened again. Now I thought it may be the RAM, so I ran the Windows 7 Memory Diagnostic tool on both RAM sticks, and got an error message. Then I did the same test with both stick separately, however I got no error messages. Then I thought it was maybe the DIMM2 slot that was faulty, so I tried testing both sticks again and this time I don't get an error message.

So I installed the same drivers (chipset drivers and the GPU drivers) as before and I'm still getting blue screens. And it's not just one type of blue screen, I've been getting several different stop messages, including xA1, xC2, x1E, x3B, and x0A. They mostly occur when playing computer games, however they have occured while running less intensive programs and during a Windows update.

Also, more recently, I've run MemTest on my RAM and I've got errors reported, so I know the problem is RAM related, but I thought I'd just ask if there could be anything else that may be wrong with the computer.

Here is the dump files that have been produced since I've reinstalled Windows 7:

View attachment 6977

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you also checked your Bios? Even new motherboards can need updating so it is worth checking...

Have you also checked your Bios? Even new motherboards can need updating so it is worth checking...

Thought I did earlier but I checked a minute ago and it wasn't. I guess I missed a step during installation, just got it updated now.

Yeah, going by the crash dump that happened at 2:34 PM today, AVG is definitely still installed and in all likelihood, the cause of issues still.

I just used the tool in safe mode and it seemed to do a lot more than before. I'll start doing some tests now to see if these changes fixed things up. I'll post again if another blue screen occurs or if I find the problem is fixed.

Thanks for all the help.

Hmm.. I had a quick look through your dump files and wonder which driver your using for the graphics-Is it the latest version?
If not, get the latest here: Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM
Same for your sound solution..

I know you said you had checked the RAM but as it sometimes can be a real pain fault finding (sometimes won't show a fault until after many hours of testing) I would suggest try running with only one stick installed. If it's running fine then try the other stick and if it blue screens on that one then you know which is the culprit.

I have the latest drivers downloaded, Version 10.6 from the AMD website. Same with the sound drivers.

I also noticed the AVG folder was still existent and I deleted it even though I used both the tool and regular uninstallers.

I'll take your advice and try one stick at a time. I did this last night and it seemed to work pretty well with both sticks played separately, but then again it was late so I didn't do too many tests with them. I'll post again later tonight. Again, thanks for the advice.

Ran a memory test with MemTest on my two sticks and its telling me errors occurred again on the test. I'm going to run them on the two separate sticks overnight and see what happens. Right now I'm testing a single stick for blue screens, so far, so good. Haven't gotten a blue screen in a solid six hours with this one stick. I'll test the second one for blue screens tomorrow.

I've gotten one blue screen since removing AVG entirely, before it would blue screen multiple times per hour during memory tests and running programs. It blue screened during the startup of one program, but other than that, its been running better than before. I installed MSE as well as you recommended.

I updated that Ethernet driver as well. I'll post again tomorrow, thanks for the help so far.

Cool. You can use CPU-Z to find out your exact ram modules in use. Then visit the manufacturer's site for the proper voltage, timings and frequency settings.

You can apply these settings manually in the bios. If after doing that there are still any types of memory errors during tests, contact the company to replace them for you.

Well I ran MemTest overnight, for nine hours, and no problems on one stick. I've been running MemTest on the other stick for nearly two hours and no problems on that one either, so it looks good so far.

I downloaded CPU Z, I'm pretty familiar with this program because I used it to fix a problem a friend of mine was having with his memory. This is what CPU-Z is telling me:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

That data seems to correspond well with the RAM I purchased:

Welcome to ADATA ?Love?Life?Dreams

ADATA 2x2 GB DDR3 RAM
240 Pin
1333 MHz
9 CAS Latency
1.5 V

I'm just very confused at this point. I've run several memory tests on both sticks and the sticks separately and they've told me two things: There are errors, and there are no errors. However now it seems to consistently be telling me I have no errors on either sticks. Could any program, like AVG, possibly interfere with the memory tests?

Last edited:
Rather than run the tests why not try to reproduce the problem but again with only one stick installed. So try gaming or whatever it is you do to see if one or the other stick blue screens.

I've stopped running tests, none of them produced errors.

Got another blue screen. I attached the minidump folder:

View attachment minidumps.rar

Also, it mentioned the file atikmpag.sys. I've Google'd around and most people seem to point to ATI drivers being the issue. I have the latest drivers installed.. should I revert back to an older driver?

I'm going back to one stick and try to reproduce the blue screen as you said.

Last edited:
I checked your dump files again and I'm starting to wonder if it's your HDD that's at fault? When they start to go they can produce faults which look very similar to RAM problems. Try running chkdsk making sure you tick the option to repair broken sectors. Could you also post what type of HDD it is and what partitions your running ect.. Ta :)

Sure. Here are the specifications from Newegg:

Model
Brand HITACHI
Series Deskstar
Model HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163)

Performance
Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s
Capacity 1TB
RPM 7200 RPM
Cache 32MB

Physical Spec
Form Factor 3.5"

I'll run chkdsk and see if there are problems.

I'm testing one stick of RAM currently and everything seems OK, though I have only done it for half an hour.

EDIT: Running the chkdsk right now on the computer in question. Forgot to mention the partitions. There are no partitions on the hard drive that I personally made. Just a single ~1 TB one (Local Disk C: ) then another partition that's some MB large, though I've had that since I installed Windows 7 (not sure if its a partition or not).

Last edited:
Forget tests, forget checkdisk (although it was excellent suggestion, no doubt.)

Your problem is sptd.sys and Daemon Tools. (Notorious for this.)

Uninstall Daemon Tools. Then use the installer/uninstaller to remove sptd.sys which is the important part. Here it is:

DuplexSecure - Downloads

Have fun! Don't forget to reboot after.

PowerIso is excellent stable replacement for drive emulation. The emulation part of the software remains free forever.

http://www.PowerISO.com

Last edited:
Back