Windows 7 no dvd drive

twdawson

Ok this is a strange one.

I have two notebooks both with slimtype dvd burners in them. The first notebook is an old advent 7113 and the second is a brand new samsung r519.
I have been running the RC of 7 on the old one for a couple of months and just after i had installed it the drive packed up, bios would not see it, and windows would not see it. I just put it down to it being an old drive and ran the notebook without an optical drive.

I decided to put the RC on the new notebook, went on without a problem, and guess what, yep, the dvd drive didnt show up in windows even though i had just used it to install the os, or in the bios. Now before anybody asks where i got it from, it was an official download from microsoft, and this rc has been tried on a desktop pc that we have and a friend has put it on his dell xps notebook, both without any problems.

Could it be that 7 is having a problem with these makes of drives, but why wont the machines bios see it.

I have since put the dvd drive back into the old notebook and booted from the vista restore dvd and my god, it see's the drive again and can install the os.

I just cant work out whats going on.

If there is a problem i wont be spending money on the release of 7 and have had a look on the web but cant find anything at all.

The drive i have is a Slimtype DVD A DS8A3S

Please tell me i am not losing my mind.

Hi there,

I do have the same problem. I just bought the ASRock ION 330 where this drive is built in. Doesn't work with Win 7 Professional x32 RTM.

I also didn't find any drivers via Google, nor the company website. Could this be another company building these "Slimtype" DVD drives?

Really annoying problem...

Ok i have tried things again, I have been running vista on this notebook for a week or two and everything is fine, dvd works without a hitch. It is available in the bios and windows.

So i went to install 7 and things went smooth through the install and when the desktop came up the dvd drive was there, I went straight to windows update and grabbed what was available and done a reboot, NO DVD drive in windows so i rebooted and went into the bios, and sure enough the drive is not listed.

What the hell is going on.

I must add i have the same problem on my other notebook which is a different make but with the same make dvd drive.

When i put a disk back in the drive and boot the machine the bios picks the drive up again.

This never happens when i have vista installed, so can somebody help with this as its starting to drive me nuts, and the only solution i can see is to wait until i get my retail copy of 7 from Samsung and try it again.

I have just checked the bios version and i do have the latest one.

Last edited:
This has been documented before.

I don't mean to blow you off, but please take a look at the threads at the bottom of the page.

Have you gone to the manufacturer's website to see if this is an update for your BIOS or a firmware update for your DVD-ROM?

I'm about all out of suggestions.

Have you made sure the DVD-ROM drive is firmly seated and all connections attached.

As you can tell, I'm no laptop expert.

Ok this is a strange one.

, the dvd drive didnt show up in windows even though i had just used it to install the os, or in the bios. Could it be that 7 is having a problem with these makes of drives, but why wont the machines bios see it.

Please tell me i am not losing my mind.

I think your machine Bios CAN see it? If your bios can't see it ... then it has noting at all to do with any os you are running... you'll have to get a new dvd drive that your machine can find.

My money is on your drivers got whacked. Did you check your device manager and see if the dvd is listed and the drivers are working? Can you boot into your DVD from changing your bios boot priority? If you can... then it's got to be a drivers problem.

I ran a dupe file finder and allowed it to delete some files. THEN after i rebooted my other SATA drives wouldn't show up under Win 7 -- even though they were clearly there in the bios and i could boot into them when I changed my bios boot priority... I found that my drivers had been killed. To fix it, I told it to search for the drivers and set it to c:\ it couldn't find them in Windows\system32 ... well it did find something there but coudn't fix it or install the drivers until i set it to search the entire hard drive.

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help to you.

Hopefully someone will come across the post and give you some more options.

It just seems to me that there is no power to the DVD-ROM.

Just like unplugging a SATA or IDE drives power plug, it will not show up in the BIOS.

Have you made sure the DVD-ROM drive is firmly seated and all connections attached

if that were the case he'd have two shows of installing windows at all

what os came with your notebook the new one was it Vista home premium sometimes the SLIC in the bios firmware can cause problems. I had a similar problem with my sisters HP media PC where it came with vista home premium but i updated it with a clean install of vista ultimate and everytime i needed to reboot the thing i'd have wait while it went through several BSOD's before it would boot properly, and sometimes the DVD-RW used to dissapear and reappear at random,turns out after talking to several different HP techs it's to do with the SLIC not allowing ultimate to run because it was never licenced to have ultimate on it from new so back to home premium and all is going well not one single BSOD

if that were the case he'd have two shows of installing windows at all

What do you mean by this.

And called me stupid, but what is SLIC:confused:

Last edited:
no im not calling you stupid just pointing out that if the cables to his DVDrom drive were loose it would most likely not evan get through an install

as for SLIC it's part of the firmware included in the system bios that big name manufacturers use to identify the system to windows SLIC stands for System Licensed Internal Code windows uses it to identify the manufacturer of the PC/notebook

Hi there,

I do have the same problem. I just bought the ASRock ION 330 where this drive is built in. Doesn't work with Win 7 Professional x32 RTM.

I also didn't find any drivers via Google, nor the company website. Could this be another company building these \"Slimtype\" DVD drives?

Really annoying problem...

Try using this app found here: Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management

It might show you the make of the drive/s in question. Once found you can go the makers website and see if any firmware updates are available.

I didn't mean anything derogatory, I just didn't what what SLIC is?

Thanks for the information:)

Sorry if this sounds silly, but looking though the thread, I am inclined to support JBlunt.

Extracts
When i put a disk back in the drive and boot the machine the bios picks the drive up again.

That statement begs the question - But does the DVD drive actually show in the bios if you physically go in to it?

Tblount commented: "I think your machine Bios CAN see it? If your bios can't see it ... then it has noting at all to do with any os you are running... you'll have to get a new dvd drive that your machine can find. "

Correct, but check those cables again. Something is intermittent or, worst case, as JBlount says!
I don't think Athlonites comments on SLIC are relevant to this problem (I,ve been know to be wrong -lol) The SLIC has little to do with the BIOS detecting the dvddrives.
But, again, as he says, check the cables.

No cables to check as its a laptop (Brand new) only happens with windows 7 and NEVER when i have vista installed.

Back