Windows 7 No icons - Start button disabled

TommyLR

what about this? Link Removed due to 404 Error

Start Button not working.

I got also many invisible shortcuts on the taskbar.

Thanks.

Need some info to go on. Build number, what have you tried already, have you made any registry edits that would be my first thought. I assume you have tried a simple reboot?

I tried:

end task (explorer.exe) and run it again
rebooting

and nothing else that matters

7600 with a trial license (free license)

sry my bad english.

this build is a torrent download? How was it obtained I'm not sure that any of the 7600 builds that are out are truly the same as the RTM. Leaked builds are never trustworthy IMHO. Was this an upgrade or clean install? When the system restarts it starts with those windows open on the taskbar? I have never seen such a thing sorry. Also try to boot into safe mode and see if the problem persists once in safe mode check event viewer (control panel, administrative tools) for anything out of the ordinary .How old is this installation would a re install be a huge step?

right click taskbar-click show icons/desktop
If only it were that simple we could all have a good laugh at mine and the OP's expense but if you look at the linked file the OP has icon labels but no icons and a disabled start orb also some pinned to taskbar that don't work

Red face me

should have just kept my big mouth shut! I never gave the rest of your inquiry a thought. Shame and red face all over me! I had a friend buy a windows vista computer and he didn't know how to get the icons to show on his desktop. Without giving much thought to the situation, I just blurted out what we did to get him going. Sorry 'bout that. I'll let the techies figure this one out and go hide my face.

@ textureDnB

this build is a torrent download? How was it obtained I'm not sure that any of the 7600 builds that are out are truly the same as the RTM. Leaked builds are never trustworthy IMHO. Was this an upgrade or clean install? When the system restarts it starts with those windows open on the taskbar? I have never seen such a thing sorry. Also try to boot into safe mode and see if the problem persists once in safe mode check event viewer (control panel, administrative tools) for anything out of the ordinary .How old is this installation would a re install be a huge step?

1) torrent downloaded
2) clean
3) on what windows are you talking about? MSN?
4) I'll have a try.
5) That's the target ( avoid the reinstall process )

@ jeradw

I don't think it's a great idea. .It's not a graphic related problem

thanks guys 4 T3H HELPzz!!!!11 OMGOMGOMG

(could someone zip me an explorer.exe? I'd like to replace it.)

Last edited:
safe mode would rule out ANY driver issue but i too doubt it. In your link i see some windows arranged oddly on the taskbar maybe these are pinned shortcuts? I think there is a problem with this build your using there is no telling what can happen with one of these "leaked" builds. Replacing explorer.exe is an interesting idea good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

finally I gave up and restored the system by installing it again.

Thanks anyway for the help, I think I'll be back on this board

bb!

no icons- start button disabled

I hope this works for you. Sorry I couldn't be any help to you.:) I'm going to be upgrading to windows 7 pro when the RTM is sent out in October. Already placed my order.

Back