Windows 10 No need for tuneup software

Bernard Stin

I have been running windows10 for almost a year. Im an old retired coder with 45 years under my belt. Until windows 10 came along ( this latest build) I had little love for windows. That has changed. Windows 10 is awesome, Microsoft finally got it right. Uninstall all your tuneup software and registry cleaners as they will slow and hurt windows 10 as it polices itself. When the system slows up you can use the windows REFRESH system without deleting files. Also uninstall all of your anti virus software. Use windows defender and firewall and leave your auto update on. Microsoft updates almost every day as fast as they find the bad stuff out there. If you are really paranoid use fix-it stick available from amazon, it works. Use Ethernet , wireless is only good for printers. Avoid 3rd party driver update software, let windows handle it. Use one drive for your file storage and plug in a 64 GB USB flash drive and leave it plugged in the pc and dump your files on that also in no order. They will always be there to retrieve and the flash drive is immune from PC hiccups. Sorry about the lecture but I'm sick of all the so called experts and gurus out here. also most laptops run 50% SLOWER when plugged in. Recharge every night and run on battery.

I don't trust the MS antivirus. It constantly does poorly when compared against commercial prodcts.
Joe

Hi

The problem with Refreshing your Windows 10 install is that it keeps your files but deletes your software.

I want a repair install, as you could do in Windows 7 that restores the Windows files and settings but leaves your installed software intact and running.

I think you can do that if you can find it, I ran across that option hidden away someplace when I was doing a Reset before a new install one time, but I couldn't tell you how to get to it.

I've used refresh a couple of times and it takes me a day to get all my software reinstalled.
Some of them, that have tough security protocols (i.e. Adobe) are a pain to reinstall.

Since I started using Windows 10 I've gotten very conscientious about making System Image Files, it seems to be the best bet on getting your computer up and running again if you have a crash or serious malware.

Mike

Hi

The problem with Refreshing your Windows 10 install is that it keeps your files but deletes your software.

I want a repair install, as you could do in Windows 7 that restores the Windows files and settings but leaves your installed software intact and running.

I think you can do that if you can find it, I ran across that option hidden away someplace when I was doing a Reset before a new install one time, but I couldn't tell you how to get to it.

I've used refresh a couple of times and it takes me a day to get all my software reinstalled.
Some of them, that have tough security protocols (i.e. Adobe) are a pain to reinstall.

Since I started using Windows 10 I've gotten very conscientious about making System Image Files, it seems to be the best bet on getting your computer up and running again if you have a crash or serious malware.

Mike
You are so right thats why I leave a 64gb USB chip plugged in. Just dump the image files whenever you want and leave them there. Then when you have a hiccup retrieve your files. you can also boot off the chip if needed. There is no comparison between w7 and w10 for many things and I wish I could count how many years of my life have been lost fighting windows problems but alas w10 at this point in time looks good although we both know about MS (Microsoft Surprises). BE WELL.......................

I don't trust the MS antivirus. It constantly does poorly when compared against commercial prodcts.
Joe
Thats why I mentioned the fixit stick. You plug it in every 2 weeks and it connects to their host and then takes 3-4 hours to scrub your pc. I put my stick in before bedtime and in the morning the pc is clean. If you forget your 2 week cycle they will email you and remind you. I know and respect where your are coming from as I have also been there thats why I mentioned the fixit stick. The stick is programmed in Linux and it boots your pc in Linux and runs unattended and you cant use your pc till its done hence bedtime.

I've often suspected as much.
Mike, please look at the numbers, there are over 200 million windows users (at least). If 3% buy the register software at 40 bucks apiece you are rolling in money. Thats why they do . As a project I purchased 10 different programs. before I ran them I examined the registry then ran the fix it tuneup and then examined the registry again, guess what--no difference. very creative programming for big bucks.The fixme stick I mentioned in my previous blurb uses 3 antivirus programs.They are SOPHOS, KASPERSKY, and VIPRE. The advantage is no antivirus running in the background slowing up the computer along with a trashed registry from the "tuneup" software. I decided to finally complain because windows 10 is an exceptional product that many talented programmers worked on for years and Microsoft has gone the extra mile with the insider program to insure its right, then to see these digital bandits take advantage of a product that essentially does not need to be fixed. If there are problems let Microsoft know because believe me they listen and if the complaint is legit the updates will follow posthaste.

Hi Bernard,

I was writing in jest. But, in some respects, I agree with you. When systems were loaded down without a lot of RAM, some of these software packages made sense. A Windows XP system with 128MB of RAM would see an improvement with certain registry cleaners. I do not see that to be the case anymore, in the modern age, the system is not really bogged down by something like this anymore. I run ESET Smart Security on my system, and certainly, even under Linux, our main server is constantly running security software to scan for problems. The security problems really peaked in Windows and that is why you are seeing constant security updates from Microsoft. I block, what I like to call, "potentially annoying content", using my Windows HOSTS file. I don't see any problem with people who run tune-up software occasionally on the file system. These files will stack up. As far as security goes for a system, however, I do not see the problem running this. Most serious anti-virus companies are dedicated to addressing threats before the software or operating system developer can create a workable solution. So to discredit all, or most, anti-virus software, I do not think is legitimate. If people want to employ lackadaisical methods towards protecting their systems, so be it. But what would happen if entire networks did not run any anti-virus, as you suggest? Well, this would become a nightmare, because, quite frankly, for some people, if a pop-up appeared that said "Would you like to install this VIRUS on your computer?" some people, some percentage of the time, would still click yes. So that's a problem. And it is a situation that can never be solved, 100%, by the operating system.

Hi

I run Malwarebytes Pro and CCleaner along with Windows Defender.
I've run these same programs for years and I've never had any real malware, virus or something the takes over my computer or interrupts its functionality.

Malwarebytes catches most things before they get downloaded, and gets rid of the adware stuff that sneaks through, CCleaner gets rid of the junk, and I'm not sure exactly what Defender does since it never indicates that it catches anything.

If I look at the history for Defender it doesn't show that it ever detected anything?

But I don't seem to be getting anything so until I do I'll stick with the way I'm doing it.

In the past I used AVG, and at one time even McAfee but McAfee was worse than having malware.
AVG always worked OK, but it was a resource hog too.

The best protection is a System Image File. LOL

Mike

Hi Bernard,

I was writing in jest. But, in some respects, I agree with you. When systems were loaded down without a lot of RAM, some of these software packages made sense. A Windows XP system with 128MB of RAM would see an improvement with certain registry cleaners. I do not see that to be the case anymore, in the modern age, the system is not really bogged down by something like this anymore. I run ESET Smart Security on my system, and certainly, even under Linux, our main server is constantly running security software to scan for problems. The security problems really peaked in Windows and that is why you are seeing constant security updates from Microsoft. I block, what I like to call, "potentially annoying content", using my Windows HOSTS file. I don't see any problem with people who run tune-up software occasionally on the file system. These files will stack up. As far as security goes for a system, however, I do not see the problem running this. Most serious anti-virus companies are dedicated to addressing threats before the software or operating system developer can create a workable solution. So to discredit all, or most, anti-virus software, I do not think is legitimate. If people want to employ lackadaisical methods towards protecting their systems, so be it. But what would happen if entire networks did not run any anti-virus, as you suggest? Well, this would become a nightmare, because, quite frankly, for some people, if a pop-up appeared that said "Would you like to install this VIRUS on your computer?" some people, some percentage of the time, would still click yes. So that's a problem. And it is a situation that can never be solved, 100%, by the operating system.
I totally agree with you on the anti virus software. All of the vendors are reputable and do a good job. Fixme stick uses 3 of them simultaneously and it works well. The thing is so many users set their systems up wrong that the resources are wasted and somewhat taxed so having an anti virus running in the background slows their systems down and they should use a fixme stick approach, however for people like you and I who have their systems set up properly an antivirus in the background is a blessing but the majority of windows users do not set their systems up properly and Microsoft tech support will acknowledge that. Windows 10 being the huge beast that it is does not help the problem for those users. On the "tuneup" software you have a valid point but many of the unsophisticated users look for an automatic fix in using these programs and do not utilize them properly and hence create more problems than they solve. Many of the tuneup software instructions are horrible. and Im sorry my friend but on this we disagree, they do mess up the registry and I wish it wasn't so. There are enough problems in the world today without this little bit of frustration to it. I would love someday to discuss the stupidity of the pc world with you over a nice glass of California wine......

Back