Windows 7 No search filter

tanzanos

I want to search for videos only on my PC and there is no such filter. I only have "Date modified" and "Size". With XP I could choose what type of files to search for. Is there a way to have the excellent search filters that I had with XP in my Win ?:confused_smile:

Hi

Download and use Agent Ransack, a much better search application for Windows 7.

Agent Ransack - Download.com

You can probably get what you want in Windows by typing *.AVI or what ever file format you are looking for in the search window.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks but why is my win 7 missing a filter that supposedly should be there in the first place?

I'm not sure about why the filter isn't there but the Windows 7 search engine has failed to find a file that I'm sitting and looking at in Explorer.

I've especially had problems finding video files, AVI for instance. It would tell my there aren't any and my hard drive is full of them. LOL

So I've be using Agent Ransack almost since Windows 7 came out.

Mike

Thanks but why is my win 7 missing a filter that supposedly should be there in the first place?

Windows 7 doesn't have a search filter because XP has a search filter. If they made Windows 7 do everything XP can do, nobody would "upgrade" to 7. So to make 7 "better" it does half as much as XP while using 4x the space and 4x the memory. See, it uses more, and as everyone knows, more is better. So it does less, but it's better because it uses more... get it?

I used Agent Ransack and it too does not have a filter that will allow me to search only for videos.

Hi

Then your best bet is probably to use the * symbol and search for file types.
I.e. run a search for *.mpg, *.avi, *.wmv etc.

I never noticed that Windows XP would let you search just for video files,
Why Windows 7 doesn't work the same is another Microsoft Mystery.

But XP had a very good search app, and Windows 7 doesn't and I'm not sure it's any better after Service Pack 1.

Mike

Back