Windows 7 No Sound After Installation

440Music

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. Download |MG| SIV (System Information Viewer) 3.36
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ******-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS M1330
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A12, 7/8/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name ******-PC\******
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.28 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.24 GB
Page File Space 2.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

2. In "Other Devices" inside Device Manager there is "Unknown Device" with a yellow flag.

3. Done. I have it open.

4. Filled out what I could

ISSUE:

I've just recently installed Windows 7 Professional (retail, via the Engineering dept. of my University). Everything is peachy, except for the fact that my laptop speakers do not produce sound. When I plug in headphones via the headphone jack, I DO get sound (only through the headphones). I've searched all over many forums relating to sound problems and have downloaded several suggestions and have yet to work.

--I have fully updated windows 7 via windows update.
--I have all of my driver installation cds with me from the Dell manufacturer that came with the original computer (and I've tried a couple)
--I've gone to Dell's Drivers & Installation section with my computer's serial # and attempted to reinstall the related audio driver with no luck.
--My sound was perfect with the Vista Home Premium I was using earlier today.

I'm just trying to get a driver that works. So far the links have been unsuccessful. If anyone could provide a driver that solved a sound problem that would be great (and I'd appreciate instructions). Thank you.

Same problem

Dell live chat said they don't have the driver on their website and I would need to use their "on call" support (= $$)
I have all updates enabled and dev. man.says all drivers up-to-date

On my old Dell, the connection to the speakers is the same as the headphones. If the headphones are unplugged, the circuit gets made to the speakers. You probably need more volume for the speakers, and the keyboard shortcut may not work correctly, I do not know.

If you right click on the speaker icon and select playback, do you show the speakers with a green checkmark?

The speakers have the green check. But it isn't volume, it's that there is no sound at all except when external speakers/headphones are plugged in. :confused:

I am not sure, but my only suggestion would be to download the Vista audio drivers, since it appears there are no Windows 7 drivers. I still do not understand why your speakers will not work if you headset does, but it seems others have had the same situation.

I appear to be having similar problems except on mine it detects the headset and speakers, it just doesn't play any sound out of them. Why could this be?

Back