Windows 7 No Sound but sound card detected and working

denig

Hi Everyone...

Let me start by saying that I am absolutely stumped, here's my story. The PC in question is a HP P6110Y desktop running windows 7 (32-bit). Everything was working fine, until I installed another video card in the unit. From that point on, my PC has yet to make a sound. My PC detects the sound card, has the right drivers for the sound card, displays a speaker in the taskbar but makes no sound.

I've literally tried everything I could think of....
- uninstalled and reinstalled the audio drivers
- disabled and enabled the on-board sound card
- tested the speakers
- verified the status in the device manager
- increased the volume in windows and on the speakers
- replaced the speakers
- connected to speakers into the headphone jack
- install a new sound card (this blew my mind as to how it didn't solve the problem)
- reinstalled windows 7 (in both 32 and 64 bit modes)
- removed the add video card
- checked all the audio wires connections on the motherboard
- ran dxdaig and everything is reported as ok

The system is now back to it's original configuration, using both the on-board sound and video. No new hardware was added except for a printer. It a fresh install so practically no software has been installed either.

Here is a link to the specs of my desktop.
Anyone have any ideas ????

----------------------------------
Sound card Type: Integrated
Sound card Name: Realtek ALC888S
Driver Version : 6.0.1.5910
----------------------------------

Last edited:
Update: I've turn up the sound to the max (in WMP, on the taskbar and in the speaker) and I've stuck my ear to the speakers and I can hear sound. The levels are too low!!! Hope that helps in figuring out this problem.

Last edited:
I would try installing the latest driver for the onboard video then to see how it goes.

Or if you re-install the card, install the latest video driver for it.

I would try installing the latest driver for the onboard video then to see how it goes.

Or if you re-install the card, install the latest video driver for it.

Ran window update and all driver are the latest. No change in status and I plan on sticking with the on-board video.

I too have exactly the same issue has you. I have not figured this out either. This box was loaded with Vista then I upgraded it to W7. I havent seen anything like this. I install a sound card then updated the bios to the very latest. No Luck... Two things I wonder may be a solution, 1. Upgrading to W10 (its doing that now) and or 2. Using a USB Sound Card or BT..... I even plugged in a nice headphone set with a

Back