Windows 7 No sound from laptop

klutz13

I have an hp g6-1b60 laptop. AMD High Definition Audio Device.
I had to replace my screen because it cracked. When I picked up the computer, there is no sound. There is a red 'x' over the speaker icon and says "No speakers or headphones are plugged in". They claim they didn't touch the sound.

Anyway, it says my driver is up to date. I have done System Restore, uninstalled the audio, but nothing has changed. HELP!

Go to device manager and see if any red x is under sound. If so right click, make sure disabled is not select. If not may be disabled in bios.

It will not be a red x in device manager it will be a black arrow point down. my bad.

to check bios shutdown.

restart it will tell you at the bottom hit F2 to enter setup. It may be F1 or DEL. Laptops use different keys to enter setup. once in setup take your time and look around. use arrow keys to navigate around. Most like advanced setting or something like that. Look for on-board sound. Simple enable or disable. beside that I would think they unplug a jumper pin on the motherboard. But can not say for sure.

I have the following choices:

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
enable boot logging
enable low-res video
last known good configuration (advanced)
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
disable driver signature enforcement.

-OR-

Do you think a System Recovery (the one that restores to original factory condition will solve this problem?

Last edited:
sorry for taking so long to reply. No system recovery. You are not in the bios. You hit F8. It will be either F1 F2 or Delete button on the first screen you see after pushing the power button.

Do this instead go to control panel click on Hardware and Sound. Then under sound last option "Manage audio devices". On the window that pops up you will see a Speaker icon. Highlight it and at the bottom of the window click on the properties button. The next window that appears at the bottom is Device usage:

Make sure the device is enabled in the drop down.

Last edited:
You have tested the system with a headset? Since the external audio connection is normally on the motherboard, if it were to work, then there is a possibility the speaker connection was unplugged during the screen replacement.

I suppose for any function key combinations that would enable or disable the audio should be checked, it you have not already.

You have tested the system with a headset? Since the external audio connection is normally on the motherboard, if it were to work, then there is a possibility the speaker connection was unplugged during the screen replacement.

I suppose for any function key combinations that would enable or disable the audio should be checked, it you have not already.

External speakers don't work either.

sorry for taking so long to reply. No system recovery. You are not in the bios. You hit F8. It will be either F1 F2 or Delete button on the first screen you see after pushing the power button.

Do this instead go to control panel click on Hardware and Sound. Then under sound last option "Manage audio devices". On the window that pops up you will see a Speaker icon. Highlight it and at the bottom of the window click on the properties button. The next window that appears at the bottom is Device usage:

Make sure the device is enabled in the drop down.

It is enabled.

yes it is started. Should I try an earlier version of the AMD audio. And if so, where would I find it? Thanks for all of your help.

What information is given in Device Manager under sound? Are there any error messages or similar?
You said the speakers werent working, did you try with headphones as a previous person suggested?

Given the timing it seems by far the most likely that HP messed something up whilst reparing your comp. Replacing a screen is a fairly major job and although they had no reason to touch the sound directly, the nature of laptops means that you're always going to be working vry close to other things when doing major repairs. There wouldnt be any reason for HP to change the audio settings that I can see so unless they turned themselves off (!) I would imagine it must be that they "disconnected" the hardware somehow.

The thing is if you sent it off for repair and the audio worked, and then you get it back and the first time you turn it on the audio doesnt work, it HAS to be something they have done, so don't let them tell you they didnt touch the audio - get back in touch with HP and insist until the agree to fix it.

Back