Windows 7 No sound through hdmi

andmatth

I have the windows 7 professional edition on my laptop. I got it through my school's MSDNAA program. So i did a clean install and then when i go to hook it up to my tv through the hdmi it no longer works. I have downloaded all the audio drivers and video card drivers as well. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if so how you would remedy it.

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums,

HDMI should carry video and sound.

I had a hard time with mine hooking it up to a TV, so I used the optical connection for the sound

Could you please fill out your complete computer specs in th UserCP link located at the top left of the page.
This can be very helpful for us.

I figured out how to get the sound to work through the HDMI. But you have to go into the control panel and activate it manually. Is there a way to change this so it happens automatically like with Vista. Or has Microsoft not activated that feature yet?

Well the setup i have is a 2 speaker setup but i'm pretty sure it does both. I can plug it in and get sound through the hdmi. But i do have to go into the control panel and set it up manually.

I don't know why the settings wouldn't be sticking.

HDMI is basically used for hooking up a home theater receiver so you can get the full 5.1 channel surround sound.

Using only two speakers, it probable sounds tinny. If you watch DVD';s on your computer its basically useless because all DVD's are produced in Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, or DTS/ES

Back