Windows 7 Not your normal IP Address conflict, open DIR and modem/router crash

PeeDee

I've looked all over and tried to change my IPaddress with the cmd's /release/renew but it has no effect. My problem is any time I try to open my directory to upload vids or pic's or just open it to look this is what happens. The modem/router shuts down and I get a IP address conflict. It states that another computer is using the same address. This will happen regardless if any other pc or xbox is on or off. I've never had this problem before and it seems no one else has either after searching the internet for answers. I did read something about possibly a codec pac could be causing the problem. I'm using Win 7 and firefox for my browser.
Could someone please make some suggestions or help me solve this issue? I'm in my 50's so please be forgive me for my lack of knowledge when it comes to how to do something that comes so easy to some. Thanks for any and all help here. I'm so tired of having to get up and reset both the modem and router each time I want to look in my directory or upload a video which I can not do either at this time.
P.S. When I say directory I actually am talking about the windows explorer.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Indeed not your normal problem.
Can you boot your machine into safemode with networking by tapping the F8 key during POST and see if the problem persists.
Also can you test with no other network node plugged in or otherwise on the network?
Are all network nodes receiving DHCP addresses from the same source (your router) or are one or two manually assigned static values? (this would include any devices including network printers or other network appliances like additional routers)
You say "The modem/router shuts down" can you explain what you mean by this, surely you don't mean it literally as in no power?
Finally can you provide the results of opening a command prompt and typing
ipconfig /all
hit enter
paste the results into your next post?
Thanks
Randy

This is most likely to happen if two or more of the devices connected tou tour router have the same IP address. This should not happen where DHCP (automatic IP address allocation) is set on your pc. Have you set any IP addresses manually?

Hello and welcome to the forum. Indeed not your normal problem.
Can you boot your machine into safemode with networking by tapping the F8 key during POST and see if the problem persists.
Also can you test with no other network node plugged in or otherwise on the network?
Are all network nodes receiving DHCP addresses from the same source (your router) or are one or two manually assigned static values? (this would include any devices including network printers or other network appliances like additional routers)
You say "The modem/router shuts down" can you explain what you mean by this, surely you don't mean it literally as in no power?
Finally can you provide the results of opening a command prompt and typing
ipconfig /all
hit enter
paste the results into your next post?
Thanks
Randy

Thanks Randy for the warm welcome. I tried using the safemode on start up as you asked and opened the windows explorer without a problem, tried viewing pic's, no problem, tried viewing videos but after they were opened the video wouldnt play. I only think thats because some other program doesnt load in safemode to run the video, had same problem with volume and after trying to get volume to work a message showed that one of the programs that ran the volume had to be running.

I've tried opening the windows explorer and uploading while wired to the router/modem in the past and it didnt matter, the modem would go into the no internet access mode. Normally I run wireless and there are no other devices connected by wire.

I'm not sure what DHCP address's are but I did a cmd ipconfig /all and it showed that the DHCP was not enabled. I copied the results to "all" and this is what it shows. Info has been removed.

Last edited:
This is most likely to happen if two or more of the devices connected tou tour router have the same IP address. This should not happen where DHCP (automatic IP address allocation) is set on your pc. Have you set any IP addresses manually?

I started to manually change the IP address a couple of times while watching how with youtube but never did because I didnt want to make things worse. All I've done is try the cmd ipconfig /release......and renew but it didnt help.

I would disable IPv6 on your pc as it is not normally used and has been identified as causing possible conflicts. Is your router secured using WPA? If not it is possible someone nearby has connected to your router setting thir own address and creating the address conflict.

What is IPv6? Internet Protocol version 6? Can you please tell me how that would be done, where it is located...?

I just did a test at IPv6 test and it says "When both protocols are available, your browser uses IPv4" and "Your internet connection is not IPv6 capable N/A unable to contact IPv6 test server". Under that is says "Your internet connection is IPv4 capable" then it has the numbers and internet providers name.

I'd also have a look in the DHCP Client list on your router and check hat you can identify each device for which there is an IP address allocation.

Last edited by a moderator:
To disable IPv6:

control panel, networking and sharing centre, change adapter settings. Right click on the adapter you wish to change, select properties, uncheck the box against Internet Protocol version 6.

I did what you suggested and then tried the upload on youtube to see if it would disconnect and it did. I then go to the router and modem, unplug the power and reconnect power to get back online. When the disconnection happens it knocks anyone or anything offline. While in belkin wireless network properties, in the security tab it is set at " security type: WPA-personal ", "encryption type: AES"," Network security key" has a password.

I read that when doing what you suggested your actually not completely disabling IPv6. Either way this apparently isn't the problem since the modem will still go offline. I really do appreciate the help you've provided, thank you.

I read that when doing what you suggested your actually not completely disabling IPv6.
No it doesn't remove it completely - it just disables its operation on the specified adapter which is what you need to do. I would still have a look at the DHCP address allocation list on your router and check it against all your known connections to confirm that you don't have some unknown connection which could be could be causing the conflict.

Back
Top Bottom