Windows 7 Now can Access internet only through IE8

pcb2x

For some weird reason I can only access the internet through IE8. I'm on a wired ethernet directly to the modem and up until a week ago everything worked fine. I then had the bright idea of installing a wired router so two computers could access the internet at the same time. Obviously I did something wrong because the while the original computer now continues to access the internet through the modem just fine (I removed the router), after reconnecting my computer to the modem and resetting the modem all I can use is IE8.

As I said I've been doing exactly the same thing for over a year with no problems. What the hell did I do!!!??

First thing I would do; reboot computer, then make sure you have all MS updates, then update ethernet driver. Next I would run a Virus scan, then run scans for malware, spyware and adware. Then reboot again and check internet connection. Then reset modem, unplug it from outlet for 30 seconds and plug back in. If that doesn't work then I would do a system restore to a point in time when you had no issues. If all else fails a complete reinstall maybe in order.

Question; when you installed wired router did you load and run installation disc that came with the router? What brand of router?

EReboot done, MS updates done, ethernet driver updated done, can't be a virus because I haven't been on the internet since trying to install router. Router is a Dynex 10/100/1000M plug and play. No disk came with it. In any case router is no longer part of the network. Straight from the ethernet port to the modem. Cable checked. ISP (shaw) talked to, they reset router. Like I say, only IE8 reaches modem. Very strange.

Another thing to try is uninstalling network adapter from with in the device manager and then restart and let the OS reinstall it. Are you sure that its a router and not a switch.

On a personal note: I tend to stick with brand name hardware for networks like: Cisco, Linksys, Belkin, Netgear. I've seen to many people buy this generic stuff and have nothing but problems with it. Then again some buy the generic stuff and never have a problem. I personally use Linksys.

Last edited:
Well, errrrrrr now that I look at it. it's a switch, not a router. I'm completely ignorant of what the difference is or what difference that would make. (Some people think I'm just ignorant).
Your comment about name brand is well taken. At home I use a wireless Linksys router and it runs great. (OF course my son set it up).
I'll try the suggestion of uninstalling the network adapter through the device manager.
Believe me, I've let that GD'd modem sit for 60 seconds before repowering. No difference.
Your help is really appreciated.
The model is as I described with the tiny little words "Gigabit ethernet switch".

The difference between a router and switch is pretty simple. The router (wired or wireless) takes the signal from the modem and splits it, like a 75ohm cable splitter for your TV's. The switch is to add more devices (wired) to the network. So basiclly your just doubleing the ports on the router by adding this switch. Very common practice for medium/large business's and Schools and the like. Not so common for a home network, but you can if you want to. You can not get a internet connection with just a switch, you need a router. I'm just courious as to what kind of mishap happened when you tried to set up the switch as the router.

Have you tried a system restore yet?

Back