Windows 7 Nvidia Update Breaks Video Card on Laptop

standardsdt

After installing Windows 7, I applied all the updates as requested. One of them was the Nvidia Driver update to make the video card you have compatible with the OS. However instead of doing that, it puts my video card into 640x400 if I remember correctly. I can adjust the sliders but when I save the settings it gives me an error saying it is unable to do so. I'll post the exact error when I get home from work. My laptop is about 2 now on going 3 years old and runs a Nvidia GeForce Go 6800. Will the Vista Drivers stickied here in the forum work?

After installing Windows 7, I applied all the updates as requested. One of them was the Nvidia Driver update to make the video card you have compatible with the OS. However instead of doing that, it puts my video card into 640x400 if I remember correctly. I can adjust the sliders but when I save the settings it gives me an error saying it is unable to do so. I'll post the exact error when I get home from work. My laptop is about 2 now on going 3 years old and runs a Nvidia GeForce Go 6800. Will the Vista Drivers stickied here in the forum work?

Whats the laptop spec? Are you trying to install x32 or x64?

Whats the laptop spec? Are you trying to install x32 or x64?

I don't remember some of the specifics as in the processor model. But it's a x32 machine with

1 GB RAM

nVidia GeForce Go 6800

1.86GHz Intel Processor

The model of the system is an Alienware 51 m5700. Never will I buy an Alienware again. I'll get the specifics when I get home from both work and class tonight.

Hey all.

This was the closest thread possible to my problem. System Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit (6.1, Build 7000) (need to patch)
Abit AV8 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500 2.2 Ghz
GeForce 6800
Soundblaster Audigy

What's going on, is after downloading the windows update patch for 6800's, the installation went without a hitch. Problem is the 6800 is not responding. It says in device manager:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Which I've never seen before.

Any ideas?

Back