Windows 7 Occasional crashes - Windows 7 64 bit

stevecnz

Occasionally my Windows 7 64 bit system crashes. When it happens the screen goes crazy (filled with black and white static) for several seconds, then it reboots. I haven't noticed any discernable pattern as to triggering events. Any help in troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached the minidump for the most recent crash.

System specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel core i5 750 2.6 GHz (not overclocked)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3
BIOS: F7
Graphics: Sapphire HD5770 1GB
Graphics Driver: 8.671-091026a-090883E-ATI
Catalyst Version: 9.11
Memory: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB

Thanks in advance ...

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    25.8 KB · Views: 278
The two most likely causes of a random crash are memory and bad hard drive sectors.

Run a DOS-boot memory scan to check for bad memory (Google for a program to create a bootable ISO) and use Tools under your C-Drive (from My Computer) to run a chkdsk with repair of bad sectors.

Occasionally my Windows 7 64 bit system crashes. When it happens the screen goes crazy (filled with black and white static) for several seconds, then it reboots. I haven't noticed any discernable pattern as to triggering events. Any help in troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached the minidump for the most recent crash.

System specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel core i5 750 2.6 GHz (not overclocked)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3
BIOS: F7
Graphics: Sapphire HD5770 1GB
Graphics Driver: 8.671-091026a-090883E-ATI
Catalyst Version: 9.11
Memory: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB

Thanks in advance ...

Thanks for the reply. I have already checked memory and done a full chkdsk and no errors were found. I'm hoping someone can take a look at the attached minidump as it will hopefully contains some clues as to where the problem lies.

Thanks for the reply. I have already checked memory and done a full chkdsk and no errors were found. I'm hoping someone can take a look at the attached minidump as it will hopefully contains some clues as to where the problem lies.

output from debugger is
Built by: 7600.16539.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100226-1909
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`02c51000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`02e8ee50
Debug session time: Fri Apr 16 12:16:33.876 2010 (UTC + 1:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 5:32:33.000
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck FE, {5, fffffa8004d051a0, 80863b34, fffffa80042b7c50}

*** Your debugger is not using the correct symbols ***
*** In order for this command to work properly, your symbol path ***
*** must point to .pdb files that have full type information. ***
*** Certain .pdb files (such as the public OS symbols) do not ***
*** contain the required information. Contact the group that ***
*** provided you with these symbols if you need this command to ***
*** work. ***
*** Type referenced: usbport!_DEVICE_EXTENSION ***
Probably caused by : usbehci.sys ( usbehci!EHCI_sMode_PollEndpointSlot+67 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

the fact your using a gdr patched windows 7 version suggests as Link Removed - Not Found
GDR is normally distributed via Windows Update and Microsoft Download Center to improve user experience, and contains software updates that address widespread critical issues, such as security vulnerabilities, and that are broadly released. The fact that Microsoft adds GDR into build string of OS kerner (ntoskrnl.exe) of Windows 7 RTM may signifies that the reliability and stability can still be improved considerably.

without symbols it's hard to get any useful information from debugger but from the little it shows it could be your issue may be any USB device such as external hard drive that you have installed , i suggest remove all external usb devices and monitor for crashes :)

If removing your USBs doesn't fix the problem, use MSCONFIG to remove all 3rd party programs from running at startup and disable all non-Microsoft Services at startup. If you don't crash for awhile, you can try adding them back a few at a time. There are a few programs and services that can interact and crash you. One such combination is ZoneAlarm and Microsoft Security Essentials. That combination was crashing several of my client's installations.

You can do the same thing by running in Safe Mode for awhile but you can't do much there.

Thanks for the advice all. I sometimes have an android-based smartphone connected to the computer via the USB. I wonder if this is a contributing factor. I will keep a record of future crashes and see if they correspond to when the phone is connected.

Back